Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Only the Bucs or Goodell, can prevent Talib from playing this season « previous next »
Page: 1 2

michael89156

Hall of Famer

« : June 18, 2011, 09:08:15 PM »

Case for Tampa Bay Buccaneers' Aqib Talib unlikely to be resolved soon

By Rick Stroud, Times Staff Writer
In Print: Sunday, June 19, 2011

TAMPA — Barring a plea agreement or dismissal, Aqib Talib's shooting case likely won't be resolved until after the 2011 season, according to his attorney, Frank Perez.

That means only the Bucs —or NFL commissioner Roger Goodell — could prevent Talib from playing in the fall.

"Right now, if I requested a trial, it would be late November at the earliest and most likely it would be next year," Perez said Saturday.

Talib was indicted on charges of aggravated assault with a deadly weapon for his role in a shooting case March 21 in Garland, Texas. The second-degree felony carries up to 20 years in prison.

Perez has met several times with the Dallas County district attorney handling the case and another announcement hearing is scheduled June 30.

At that time, Perez said he might request the case be set for trial. But he hopes charges will be dismissed and said he will present evidence favorable to Talib.

"I don't like the case if I'm the district attorney," Perez said. "We feel very, very strongly Aqib is going to prevail in this. There's nothing to this case. I can't tell you now, but I'm confident we've got something that's going to turn the tide of public opinion."

Police say Talib tried to pistol-whip his sister's live-in boyfriend, Shannon Billings, with a Springfield 9mm. During a struggle, the gun jammed after it struck a fence and was retrieved by Billings. About that time, Talib's mother, Okolo, 58, arrived at the scene and fired several shots with a .38 Ruger. At some point, Aqib Talib gained possession of his mother's gun and fired two shots at Billings, according to arrest warrants.

Goodell has said players that run afoul of the league's personal conduct policy during the lockout will face discipline after a new labor agreement is reached. The NFL Players Association is asking for an amnesty period for players who found trouble during the lockout.

The Bucs can't have contact with players or make transactions during the lockout. But there's increasing optimism that the work stoppage could end before the July 4 weekend. That's why Perez would like to have Talib's case resolved quickly and said he likely will set it for trial after his meeting with prosecutors July 30.

There are several things working against Talib. He and his mother gave conflicting statements to investigators. In fact, Okolo Talib told police "she did hear a shot and eventually admitted it could've been Aqib who shot," according to the arrest affidavit. She also said that after Aqib "took the gun from her, he chased after Billings with the gun."

There also was a shell casing from the .38 found in the driveway across the street. But Perez will try to put an end to the case this month.

"I probably will request a trial at that time," Perez said. "Aqib wants to put it behind him, but there are jail cases, and since he's free on bond, that could bump us back another year."

It took Goodell a year after Talib assaulted a St. Petersburg cab driver to suspend him for the first game of the 2010 season.

Bucs coach Raheem Morris has said Talib's fate will be determined by the legal system and ultimately by the league office.

Considering the slow progress of the case, and Talib's importance to the Bucs' defense, it appears more likely he will suit up for Tampa Bay whenever play resumes.

« : June 18, 2011, 09:11:01 PM michael89156 »

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

« #1 : June 18, 2011, 09:57:05 PM »

Well we know Morris doesn't know/understand discipline especially with defensive backs.  Maybe Goodell will put this idiot down before he kills someone.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

Beatles123

Hall of Famer

« #2 : June 18, 2011, 10:05:14 PM »

I hope you were sarcastic, Dal...cause that sounded really overdramatic.

This space for rent....*sigh* I trusted you coach.

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

« #3 : June 18, 2011, 11:08:37 PM »

"Bucs coach Raheem Morris has said Talib's fate will be determined by the legal system and ultimately by the league office."

That +

Perez said. "We feel very, very strongly Aqib is going to prevail in this. There's nothing to this case. I can't tell you now, but I'm confident we've got something that's going to turn the tide of public opinion." (IF TRUE)

= Talib starting day one (one really lucky duck).

Naismith was right about Revis. Everyone else is a dummy.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
« #4 : June 19, 2011, 12:42:15 AM »

This is what I figured from day one. A judgement next year which means he plays this season....which is why I say you play him, hope he looks great, and then trade his ass right before the trade deadline in week 6. I don't care what happens with this case. The kid is an idiot and it's a matter of when not if he will self destruct again. Better to get something for him now than nothing for him later. If the right situation presents itself, like a key injury to a CB on a 5-0 team...I'm confident Dominik Houdini could get a 2nd round pick for him.

Beatles123

Hall of Famer

« #5 : June 19, 2011, 12:49:07 AM »

I don't think you can cut him if he's found innocent.....unless we get ASO.

I don't think we can afford playing without him unless we can fill his spot quick. Biggers won't cut it against Manning, I don't think.

This space for rent....*sigh* I trusted you coach.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

« #6 : June 19, 2011, 10:15:43 PM »

Perez said. " I can't tell you now, but I'm confident we've got something that's going to turn the tide of public opinion."

That is an interesting comment, wonder what he has up his sleeve?

Tebowmania 25

Pro Bowler

« #7 : June 19, 2011, 11:25:56 PM »

Hope Goodell gives him a 4 game. That would be ideal. I want to sign Aso and keep talib.

anterrabae33

Hall of Famer

« #8 : June 19, 2011, 11:36:19 PM »

Perez said. " I can't tell you now, but I'm confident we've got something that's going to turn the tide of public opinion."

Talib killed Bin Laden?

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

« #9 : June 20, 2011, 02:09:52 AM »

Talib killed Bin Laden?

LOL

bucsbum

Hall of Famer

« #10 : June 20, 2011, 10:22:30 AM »

Word Is that Talib will be allowed to play the entire 2011 season. The NFL does not want to intrude on  the player rights to unbiased do process in the courts by handing down a punishment prior to the case being settled in a court of law.

1sparkybuc

Hall of Famer
« #11 : June 20, 2011, 11:19:24 AM »

It's a family of idiots and the boyfriend too. They belong in Texas. They should stay there in prison or not. Sign a free agent to fill in until we can draft someone intelligent.

BOTH guns involved in this case belong to Talib. He is responsible for them being there. It would appear that he was afraid of the boyfriend. It would also appear that he was not very proficient with either one. He couldn't hold on to the first gun and could hit what he was aiming at with the other. Anybody that views a gun as a solution to a problem isn't thinking about possible outcomes.

We have a great young team coming together. Talib has become the turd in the punchbowl. He doesn't learn from past mistakes. He doesn't care about the team or the fans. Enough already.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

« #12 : June 20, 2011, 11:27:20 AM »

Word Is that Talib will be allowed to play the entire 2011 season. The NFL does not want to intrude on  the player rights to unbiased do process in the courts by handing down a punishment prior to the case being settled in a court of law.

Funny... the league didn't have any problem intruding on Pacman's  freedom when he wasn't convicted of anything.   And it's..............due process.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
« #13 : June 20, 2011, 11:36:51 AM »

Everyone has bought into this idea that Talib is too good to cut. I don't buy it. I believe as sparky said that he has become a "turd in the punchbowl" on an otherwise exceptional young team. He is a great football player at times but wildly inconsistent. For every interception he gets, he also gives up a huge TD. He is a ticking time bomb and even if he squirms his way out of this one, it's only a matter of time before he screws the pooch again.

If I was running the show, my plans wouldn't involve Aso or Talib. I'd see if I could get ANYTHING in a trade for Talib and take it. If not I'd just cut him. Then I'd sign two CBs in free agency. Richard Marshall, Jonathan Joseph, Brent Grimes, and Josh Wilson are all young guys and they all fit our defense. They would know that with Talib gone and Barber likely being done after this year, that they have a very good chance of starting here, plus they know Rah is a young coach that vibes well with his players and is also a defensive backs coach... so I think they'd all be interested.

You add two of those cats to Biggers, Lewis, and Gaitor.....and we have a solid young secondary set for years. Life goes on without Talib.

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

« #14 : June 20, 2011, 11:39:37 AM »

This is what I figured from day one. A judgement next year which means he plays this season....which is why I say you play him, hope he looks great, and then trade his ass right before the trade deadline in week 6. I don't care what happens with this case. The kid is an idiot and it's a matter of when not if he will self destruct again. Better to get something for him now than nothing for him later. If the right situation presents itself, like a key injury to a CB on a 5-0 team...I'm confident Dominik Houdini could get a 2nd round pick for him.

I'm 1000% behind trading him at the deadline.  Even if we can't get a 2nd.  Get rid of this idiot and wash our hands of him.  I have faith that Dom can turn the pick into a player.

Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Only the Bucs or Goodell, can prevent Talib from playing this season « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools