Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: How the HELL are we going to get to the cap FLOOR? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

SarasotaBuc Fan

Hall of Famer

: June 19, 2011, 07:15:51 PM

So as we stand today, we are at around 58 mil.
Let's say the cap floor will be 120 mil.

How do we get to the floor? We would have to spend 62 million $ to reach the floor.

How the? What the? Who do we sign?

Here is my list of who I can think of that we can extend/sign to get CLOSE.

Aso - 18-20 mil.
Davin - 5 mil
Clayborn - 3 mil
Extend blount - 2.5 mil
Extend MW - 3 mil
Quincy - 2 mil
Deangelo william - 5 mil
That right there is 40.5 mil...

... How do we get to the floor? Who do we sign/ extend?

Bucs_Rule

Hall of Famer
#1 : June 19, 2011, 07:22:34 PM

As SR has said many time most of the current bucs salary go up a lot this year because the FO their would be a floor this year. As I recall Winslow's, Freeman's contracr go up significantly, and with the resigning of Joseph, caddy and their own FA's  then the bucs would be around the floor.

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

#2 : June 19, 2011, 07:31:09 PM

Aha, but you forget Ruud.

While most of us want him gone (including me), how can we be so sure Dom and Rah doesn't want him there? It's not like they have ever cared what the "popular" vote was.

They could also extend JF, which is more deserving than Blount or MW imho. That right there by itself, just to lock him up, would be a big number. They'll probably all get extentions either way though, even if it's just financial circumstance alone. The rest, besides what you suggested, will be scrubs and draft pick signings. Even Bowers might suggest more than minimum as well.

Although, there is one other option that I can think of, although farfetched. Dom could trade for someone with a heavy contract. I have no clue who that could possibly be and it really doesn't sound like a Dom move either.

Naismith was right about Revis. Everyone else is a dummy.

SarasotaBuc Fan

Hall of Famer

#3 : June 19, 2011, 07:47:05 PM

my list is nothing, just a ballpark. doubt we sign aso or d williams, but would love to have them both.  dont judge my list, it means nothing, didn't put any thought into it really, was just putting some numbers forth

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#4 : June 19, 2011, 07:54:10 PM

If the cap floor is 120 million it will be interesting to see how it is filled - while the bucs have done better in the draft recently it really isn't time for extensions - and the bucs have sent somewhat mixed messages on FA activity.  Insider info says there is a plan - and it must be a doozie...

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

4bucs

Hall of Famer
#5 : June 19, 2011, 08:34:30 PM

Signing Aso and a good olineman would be a good start....why does everybody think we would never sign Aso.....because we never signed the best FA before....well we never had a franchise qb before either......we have a new gm and the glazers have given him the green light to spend some money....and imo we will.....the koolaid is tasting good.
: June 19, 2011, 08:40:58 PM 4bucs

Naismith

Hall of Famer

#6 : June 19, 2011, 08:43:55 PM

I don't believe Blount can be extended until after next season. I'm positive I read that. I'm not sure if that's the case with all rookies or undrafted rookies.

There\'s a very real chance the Bucs waive [Revis] before next season. At the very least, it will be a discussion worth having.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#7 : June 19, 2011, 09:13:49 PM

First, I think the floor will be much closer to $100M. The Cap will probably be around $120M.

If the active roster goes from 53 to 60 (or higher) as expected, getting to the floor will be easy.

Signing the rookies along with a few of our own free agents like Joseph, and Black or Ruud will count for around $20M alone. If we sign two or three other Free Agents on the level of Sean Jones, it will be another $10M-$12M.  Add on the extra guys from our practice squad and undrafted free agents that the increase in roster size will allow and we are right there.
: June 19, 2011, 09:19:21 PM JDouble

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

#8 : June 19, 2011, 09:19:22 PM

Not worried one bit about them getting to the floor. They'll do what they have to do to get there. Just like other teams.

Hate

Hall of Famer
#9 : June 19, 2011, 09:19:50 PM

If the active roster goes from 53 to 60 (or higher) as expected, getting to the floor will be easy.

Isn't this roster expansion tied to and 18 game season?

As discussed in a prior conversation today, Nnamdi and Mankins(provided he's available) would be my prime targets. D Williams would be icing on the cake. In relation to our own roster, i fully agree with Dbuc. I'm not extending Williams after 1 season. Free just had his option picked up last yr. Blount being in the 2nd of a 2 yr deal would def be top on my to do list, asap. Talib, minus his mental issues, would also be a prime candidate. Now? hell naw!!

Who else is worthy..... at this time? Other than Joseph, no one i can think of.

-------------------------------------------------------

I thought Lovie said he wanted quickness & speed, even at the QB position?

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#10 : June 19, 2011, 09:30:38 PM

Other than Penn, everyone on our O-line makes peanuts and are on short term deals. Resigning guys like Zuttah, Larsen, and others to decent 4 or 5 year deals for around $20M would help increase our total salary now and could end up being a steal for us if they work out as starters. As long as they don't put a lot of guaranteed money in the contracts and have most of it up front, we don't lose out on much if any of them end up sucking.

This could be done with a lot of our young guys, not just the O-line. Grimm, Blount, McKenzie, ect. Give them new 4 year deals that are front loaded. They can all make four to five million this year and then be cheap the next three years.

Before you know it all these gems we've drafted will be needing to be resigned to big time contracts and we'll wish we had more room. Anything we do should be front end loaded so it doesn't put us in a bad spot 2 years from now.

cyberdude558

Hall of Famer

#11 : June 19, 2011, 10:18:37 PM

If the new cap works like it is rumored that it will....dead money may not be much of an issue. In other words, in the past, teams that signed players to big and long term contracts and then the player sucks and gets cut...most of the salary would still count against the cap even though the player would no longer be on the team.

With this new proposal, the dead cap money would be at a much larger discount towards the cap number. The team would still have to pay out the contract, but it wont count as much against the cap. That is sort of the compromise for the players to take less guarantee of the overall pie. So if a team constantly goes crazy with free agency, that money from players cut wont count much against the cap. But the penalty will be on the ownership who would have to pay out that contract. The bad part of this is that may end up leading to less veterans getting cut since ownership wont want to pay out the contract. The good part of it is that it would be difficult for any team to be in "cap hell" and it would promote parity across the league.

Of course this is just what the current proposal is believed to be. It's just a framework. When both sides actually work out the financials, one side or the other may not like it and it ends up getting changed again. So we just have to wait and see.

ryan24

Hall of Famer
#12 : June 19, 2011, 10:29:38 PM

So as we stand today, we are at around 58 mil.
Let's say the cap floor will be 120 mil.

How do we get to the floor? We would have to spend 62 million $ to reach the floor.

How the? What the? Who do we sign?

Here is my list of who I can think of that we can extend/sign to get CLOSE.

Aso - 18-20 mil.
Davin - 5 mil
Clayborn - 3 mil
Extend blount - 2.5 mil
Extend MW - 3 mil
Quincy - 2 mil
Deangelo william - 5 mil
That right there is 40.5 mil...

... How do we get to the floor? Who do we sign/ extend?

I think the immediate fallacy is that any team would be asked to more than double their payroll in an offseason which is shortened in the first place. I would be extroadinarily surprised if that occurs. Likely the floor will be much lower or the teams will be given at least one further offseason to get to the floor.

Happy and Peppy and Bursting with love.

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#13 : June 19, 2011, 10:40:32 PM

and why would the players make such an exemption for teams that have been 'frugal" - actually rewarding them from them players persepctive

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

cyberdude558

Hall of Famer

#14 : June 19, 2011, 10:40:48 PM

Most teams are near or over the floor. I think I heard the average payroll is around $90-$100 million right now. That means most teams that are below the floor would be 10-20 million below. Teams like the Bucs, Bills, and Cheifs are the exception who is miles below the floor.
Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: How the HELL are we going to get to the cap FLOOR? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools