Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: How the HELL are we going to get to the cap FLOOR? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

« #15 : June 19, 2011, 10:43:45 PM »

my list is nothing, just a ballpark. doubt we sign aso or d williams, but would love to have them both.  dont judge my list, it means nothing, didn't put any thought into it really, was just putting some numbers forth

No this is a completely valid topic. Very interesting question indeed.  :D

Actually, I think it's pretty close to what really will happen. I won't pay attention to the numbers though as just about everything they do (or don't do) increases or deceases their value. Just certain situations alone can get them a payday for more than they're worth. I always thought the FA racing for Fat Al was more than dumb as an example.

If they want to spend money to get to the floor, JF needs a 7 year phat contract, shore up the worthy 2nd-stringers and up-and-comers, sign Aso, keep talib (if for nothing more than a filler), DJ needs at least a 5 year fairly-phat contract, MW and Blount also need a salary boost, all draftees need to be getting a study contract, and If FA doesn't explode in a race for Ruud resign (for money reasons) to a 1 year contract. It's not like he has to even play a down, but at least he'll be worth something to the team for once.

Naismith was right about Revis. Everyone else is a dummy.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
« #16 : June 19, 2011, 10:58:56 PM »

How do we get to the floor?

How the? What the? Who do we sign?

1. Start by resigning Davin Joseph and Quincy Black.

2. Sign all the rookies we drafted.

3. Sign a solid young CB (Grimes, Joseph, or Marshall)

4. Sign two offensive linemen (Mankins, Gaither, Clabo, Free, Colon, Nicks, Lutui, or Bushrod)

5. Sign undrafted free agents Mario Harvey, Chad Spann, Deunta Williams, and Tim Barnes.

6. Restructure a few guys contracts like Zuttah, Grimm, and Biggers to lock em up for 4 to 5 years and make their contracts front loaded.

7. Win the Super Bowl

watson

Hall of Famer
« #17 : June 20, 2011, 05:10:32 AM »

I don't believe Blount can be extended until after next season. I'm positive I read that. I'm not sure if that's the case with all rookies or undrafted rookies.
The way the system is structured, a team cannot renegotiate a player's contract within the first year of that contract.  The thing with Blount is I'm not sure if they picked up the FA contract that Tenn had with him when they signed him or if they re-negotiated a new one.  If they picked it up, it would be one year from the time he originally signed.  If he signed a new one, the same rule would apply.  It all depends on what the date is that is on his current contract.

Truths:
1.  Never have an argument with an idiot.  They will drag you down to their level and then beat you with their experience.
2.  For some it would be better if they remained silent and be thought a fool than to speak and erase all doubt.

JC5100

Hall of Famer

« #18 : June 20, 2011, 06:19:49 AM »

Frontload Freeman extension.
No signing bonuses to Free Agents. Guaranteed base salaries early in the deal.

yuccaneers

Hall of Famer
« #19 : June 20, 2011, 08:53:18 AM »

So as we stand today, we are at around 58 mil.
Let's say the cap floor will be 120 mil.

How do we get to the floor? We would have to spend 62 million $ to reach the floor.

How the? What the? Who do we sign?

Here is my list of who I can think of that we can extend/sign to get CLOSE.

Aso - 18-20 mil.
Davin - 5 mil
Clayborn - 3 mil
Extend blount - 2.5 mil
Extend MW - 3 mil
Quincy - 2 mil
Deangelo william - 5 mil
That right there is 40.5 mil...

... How do we get to the floor? Who do we sign/ extend?

With Dominik being a good general manager I'm sure he will be very creative in structuring contracts in a way to reach the cap floor. Any player with less then 2-years in the league will not have a new contract presented to them. Now the team could turn salary from later in players contracts to bonus money that could be pushed forward to this year which could help, which would free up money in future years. The other is players like Josh Freeman, Donald Penn and Kellen Winslow will have sizable increases this year to absorb some of that extra money. Depending on a new CBA some of the old loopholes might be taken out like the old LTBE loophole, dead-money counting as part of a salary cap forcing teams to spend actual cash not phony money.

But there are going to be very crafty general managers who manage just fine at reaching the salary cap floor and wont be over spending or fiscally irresponsible in doing so.

blind melon

Hall of Famer

« #20 : June 24, 2011, 11:10:30 AM »

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcsouth/post/_/id/21900/scouting-out-nfc-south-salary-cap-room

As we linger in lockout limbo, there’s not a lot to do but watch as the negotiators continue on a road that seems to be headed toward a new labor deal. With at least that on the horizon, the possible start of a free-agency period isn’t far behind it.

So let’s take a look at some salary-cap figures as we look forward to free agency. Some of the reports about the possible deal have pegged that 2011 salary cap right about $120 million.

In terms of money already committed toward a 2011 cap (rookie contracts aren’t a factor yet because teams haven’t even been allowed to negotiate with draft picks), the Tampa Bay Buccaneers have the lowest figure in the league. They’re sitting at $63.8 million. In recent years, the Bucs spent well below the cap and had the league’s lowest payroll in the uncapped 2010 season.

There’s been talk that a new agreement could require all teams to use somewhere near 90 percent of the salary-cap space. That means the Bucs theoretically would have to spend somewhere close to $50 million in cap space to meet the minimum. Could that lead to the Bucs being players in free agency? Yes, but I don’t think you’ll see them going crazy. They have some of their own free agents (like Davin Joseph and Cadillac Williams) that they want to keep. The Bucs also have some other young players under contract for the moment that could be in line for contract extensions. Tampa Bay’s in a youth movement and the Bucs will do their best to keep their core intact first. They could make some moves in free agency. But I don’t expect to see them going out and signing a bunch of big-name free agents who are in their 30s.

The Carolina Panthers are just a bit ahead of the Bucs at $73 million. But that number’s a bit misleading. Assuming the rules for the franchise tag get worked out as expected, center Ryan Kalil, who had the tag placed on him before the lockout, is going to add $10 million to that.

Then, there’s the fact that the Panthers want to keep some of their own free agents, like DeAngelo Williams, James Anderson and Charles Johnson. That’s going to cost some big money. Oh, by the way, the Panthers also are in a youth movement like the Bucs. They may sign a veteran backup quarterback and a few role players, but don’t expect a frenzy in Carolina.

The two teams in the NFC South that are the most likely to be active in free agency are the two who currently have the most money committed to the salary cap. The Atlanta Falcons are at $103.5 million and the New Orleans Saints are at $104.8.

The Falcons have to make decisions on keeping some of their own guys, like linebackers Mike Peterson and Stephen Nicholas and offensive linemen Tyson Clabo, Justin Blalock and Harvey Dahl. They’ll keep at least a couple of those guys and that will add to their cap figure. But owner Arthur Blank isn’t going to sit idle in free agency. If there’s one move that’s been telegraphed, it’s that the Falcons will go out and get an expensive pass rusher. They’ve got enough money to do it and if they want to sign a few more free agents beyond that, they’ve got a few guys that could be cap casualties.

The Saints aren’t the type to sit still either. They’ve got a bunch of potential free agents and it will cost them money to keep the ones they want. But there’s plenty of room to be creative. Running back Reggie Bush has a $16 million cap figure. There’s no way he stays at that number. The Saints either will sign him to an extension that will greatly lower this year’s cap figure or they’ll let him go.

Who knew how good it would feel as a fan when we now know what it\'s like for our team to have a direction, an attitude, and dare I say an offense?.  

Good time to be a Bucs fan.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
« #21 : June 24, 2011, 11:15:16 AM »

This article is inaccurate. Close to 99% of the Bucs salary is real cash, where as the Panthers only have about 60% of their salary in real cash. The articles I've read all say the Panthers are worse off than the Bucs and might have to spend $60-$70 million to get to the cap floor of the new CBA. They'll need to resign Kalil and Charles Johnson just to get to where the Bucs are now.
« : June 24, 2011, 11:16:48 AM JDouble »

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

« #22 : June 24, 2011, 12:23:50 PM »

This article is inaccurate. Close to 99% of the Bucs salary is real cash, where as the Panthers only have about 60% of their salary in real cash. The articles I've read all say the Panthers are worse off than the Bucs and might have to spend $60-$70 million to get to the cap floor of the new CBA. They'll need to resign Kalil and Charles Johnson just to get to where the Bucs are now.
One difference is Carolina's free agents are much, much, much, much better players than the Bucs free agents.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

blind melon

Hall of Famer

« #23 : June 24, 2011, 12:28:05 PM »

http://www.altiusdirectory.com/Sports/nfl-salaries.php

NFL Team Salaries 2011  Total NFL Payroll 2011 
NFL Arizona Team Salaries $ 83 million
NFL Atlanta Team Salaries $ 102.1 million
NFL Baltimore Team Salaries $ 101.3 million
NFL Buffalo Team Salaries $ 96.4 million
NFL Carolina Team Salaries $ 73 million
NFL Chicago Team Salaries $ 104.9 million
NFL Cincinnati Team Salaries $ 90.7 million
NFL Cleveland Team Salaries $ 99.2 million
NFL Dallas Team Salaries $ 136.6 million
NFL Denver Team Salaries $ 125 million
NFL Detroit Team Salaries $ 113.8 million
NFL Green Bay Team Salaries $ 129.8 million
NFL Houston Team Salaries $ 118.4 million
NFL Indianapolis Team Salaries $ 115.5 million
NFL Jacksonville Team Salaries $ 78.1 million
NFL Kansas City Team Salaries $ 74.7 million
NFL Miami Team Salaries $ 103.1 million
NFL Minnesota Team Salaries $ 108.4 million
NFL New England Team Salaries $ 102.3 million
NFL New Orleans Team Salaries $ 105.2 million
NFL New York Giants Team Salaries $ 126.3 million
NFL New York Jets Team Salaries $ 128.5 million
NFL Oakland Team Salaries $ 85.8 million
NFL Philadelphia Team Salaries $ 80.8 million
NFL Pittsburgh Team Salaries $ 116 million
NFL San Diego Team Salaries $ 85.8 million
NFL San Francisco Team Salaries $ 100.9 million
NFL Seattle Team Salaries $ 81.1 million
NFL St. Louis Team Salaries $ 102.4 million
NFL Tampa Bay Team Salaries $ 59.7 million
NFL Tennessee Team Salaries $ 107.4 million
NFL Washington Team Salaries $ 115.2 million

Who knew how good it would feel as a fan when we now know what it\'s like for our team to have a direction, an attitude, and dare I say an offense?.  

Good time to be a Bucs fan.

Uncle Stan

Hall of Famer
« #24 : June 24, 2011, 12:34:52 PM »

IIRC,

A players contract can not be extended till after the 2nd year.

Learn to disagree without being disagreeable-Ronald Reagan circa 1981

Booker Reese

Hall of Famer

« #25 : June 24, 2011, 01:23:02 PM »

US is correct  - can't touch the contract for until 2 years are up.

BucNY

Hall of Famer

« #26 : June 24, 2011, 03:41:18 PM »

I think we'll find a way to spend more money. I highly doubt that is a problem.

\\\\\\\"This forum needs a poster like BucNY now more than ever\\\\\\\"
      - Everyone

BucNY

Hall of Famer

« #27 : June 24, 2011, 03:45:06 PM »

One difference is Carolina's free agents are much, much, much, much better players than the Bucs free agents.

RUUD  > Johnson

\\\\\\\"This forum needs a poster like BucNY now more than ever\\\\\\\"
      - Everyone

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

« #28 : June 24, 2011, 03:58:40 PM »

RUUD  > Johnson
We'll see which player gets the bigger contract. But Carolina also has Ryan Kalil (franchised), DeAngelo Williams, Thomas Davis, Richard Marshall, and James Anderson. Additionally, Jon Beason is entering the final year of his contract and is more deserving of huge money than any Buc player entering the final year of his contract.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
« #29 : June 24, 2011, 04:00:01 PM »

RUUD  > Johnson

Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: How the HELL are we going to get to the cap FLOOR? « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools