Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: How the HELL are we going to get to the cap FLOOR? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

cyberdude558

Hall of Famer

#30 : June 24, 2011, 06:04:16 PM

US is correct  - can't touch the contract for until 2 years are up.

They also can't become an unrestricted free agent until after their 4th year.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#31 : June 24, 2011, 06:26:36 PM

This article is inaccurate. Close to 99% of the Bucs salary is real cash, where as the Panthers only have about 60% of their salary in real cash. The articles I've read all say the Panthers are worse off than the Bucs and might have to spend $60-$70 million to get to the cap floor of the new CBA. They'll need to resign Kalil and Charles Johnson just to get to where the Bucs are now.
One difference is Carolina's free agents are much, much, much, much better players than the Bucs free agents.

RUUD  > Johnson

Don Johnson?  Maybe....but probably not.

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#32 : June 24, 2011, 06:31:44 PM

The bucs have a long way to go to get to an floor that is reported to be not too far from the cap.  It will be interesting, especially if Davin and Talib are gone....

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

Hate

Hall of Famer
#33 : June 24, 2011, 08:26:12 PM

Didn't we "touch" Freeman's contract during last season?

-------------------------------------------------------

I thought Lovie said he wanted quickness & speed, even at the QB position?

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#34 : June 24, 2011, 08:29:03 PM

No, they just picked up the option for the 5th year that was already in the original contract.  There weren't any years added on.

Hate

Hall of Famer
#35 : June 24, 2011, 08:32:30 PM

No, they just picked up the option for the 5th year that was already in the original contract.  There weren't any years added on.

Kool.... i knew some form of "touching" took place.

-------------------------------------------------------

I thought Lovie said he wanted quickness & speed, even at the QB position?

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#36 : June 24, 2011, 08:38:56 PM

They should just give Free a new 7 year contract with about $20M up front. It would help them get to the floor this year, save us cap space down the road, and if there was ever a cat you could hand $20M to and not worry about it changing him, it's Freeman. He's about as grounded as it gets.

The Cowboys did something similar with Demarcus Ware a few years back.

Booker

Hall of Famer

#37 : June 24, 2011, 08:52:35 PM

I get giving Freeman more money to reach the floor, but he's not going anywhere. Why not use it on guys who will help us on top of him?

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#38 : June 24, 2011, 10:28:42 PM

They should just give Free a new 7 year contract with about $20M up front. It would help them get to the floor this year, save us cap space down the road, and if there was ever a cat you could hand $20M to and not worry about it changing him, it's Freeman. He's about as grounded as it gets.

The Cowboys did something similar with Demarcus Ware a few years back.
Worth noting Ware was in the middle of his fifth season when he signed his extension.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

JC5100

Hall of Famer

#39 : June 24, 2011, 11:34:17 PM

I get giving Freeman more money to reach the floor, but he's not going anywhere. Why not use it on guys who will help us on top of him?

The cap room is a bit of a mirage. Honestly if I heard Graham, Jones and Economos were the 5th, 6th and 7th highest paid players on the team I would believe it without thinking twice. They have to project extensions that they MUST do in the next 1-3 years, subtract that from the cap room and that's the real cap room. So while everyone wants Asomugha and Mankins, etc etc etc the fiscally responsible moves would be 2 or 3 good free agent acquisitions, front loaded long term extensions for Freeman, Joseph, and maybe Biggers and then call it an off-season.  Not the sexiest thing ever but it puts them in position to do the samething in 2012, then again in 2013, etc. You can keep the core players together while always having the ability to upgrade in free agency. If you're close enough you can go get that mega FA like Peppers or Asomugha or Reggie White that puts you over the top. There are teams, good teams, that are going to have to cut players from their roster, let their own FAs walk and then basically sit on the bench and watch Free Agency. All because they were irresponsible with their cap, going back years ago.

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#40 : June 25, 2011, 08:49:28 AM

The cap room is a mirage?  It doesn't exist?  It exists, and there is a floor to reach - and while there are contracts to be done over the next few years for those draft picks that excel there is a floor to be reached now, assuming the new CBA is as described.  And there is a limited number of candidates for extension - I am confident Dominick is up to the task - but there is a task - and it will be awkward for the next few years as the bucs young players evolve into the players most hope they will become.

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#41 : June 25, 2011, 08:55:00 AM

And for the record - I think an Aso signing actually helps avoid overpaying for talent.  Aso is 29 - he will be at an elevated level for several more years - 3-5.  Pay him early in his contract - freeing space for when the 'kids' are ready to be extended.  Might do the same thing with an Olinemen or two, and/or a LB

JC5100

Hall of Famer

#42 : June 25, 2011, 09:37:46 AM

The cap room is a mirage?  It doesn't exist?  It exists, and there is a floor to reach - and while there are contracts to be done over the next few years for those draft picks that excel there is a floor to be reached now, assuming the new CBA is as described.  And there is a limited number of candidates for extension - I am confident Dominick is up to the task - but there is a task - and it will be awkward for the next few years as the bucs young players evolve into the players most hope they will become.

Freeman, Blount, Williams, Benn and Briscoe are COMBINING for only $2.5M in base salaries in 2011. By my count 16 of the 22 projected starters and every backup are on their rookie deals or unsigned. This roster is not in position for a reckless Free Agent bonanza like so many are anticipating.

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#43 : June 25, 2011, 10:16:41 AM

And for the record - I think an Aso signing actually helps avoid overpaying for talent.  Aso is 29 - he will be at an elevated level for several more years - 3-5.  Pay him early in his contract - freeing space for when the 'kids' are ready to be extended.  Might do the same thing with an Olinemen or two, and/or a LB
I think I agree. The Bucs potentially have a lot of money to spend and only a few roster spots. It would make sense to spend as much money as possible on a few players so in another few years the kids can get raises and the old guys can be gone.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#44 : June 25, 2011, 10:18:16 AM

Freeman, Blount, Williams, Benn and Briscoe are COMBINING for only $2.5M in base salaries in 2011. By my count 16 of the 22 projected starters and every backup are on their rookie deals or unsigned. This roster is not in position for a reckless Free Agent bonanza like so many are anticipating.

I get what you are saying. People don't seem to realize that our awesome young team is all being paid peanuts and will have to be resigned to big contracts over the next few years. We have to be careful about how we hand out contacts now. We could be right back in cap hell in a few years and not have the money to keep Mike Williams or LeGarrette Blount.

It makes sense to sign some real upgrades in this great free agency, but we should give any FAs a big chunk up front so their contract isn't hurting us later. If we did sign Aso, he'd probably get something like 5 year/ $85M. Instead of paying him like $16M-$18M per year, we should try to give him as much as possible this year to eat up cap space while reducing his yearly cap hit in the future.
: June 25, 2011, 10:23:25 AM JDouble

Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: How the HELL are we going to get to the cap FLOOR? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools