Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: How the HELL are we going to get to the cap FLOOR? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

Hate

Hall of Famer
#45 : June 25, 2011, 11:10:34 AM

This roster is not in position for a reckless Free Agent bonanza like so many are anticipating.

Who's anticipating/suggesting wreckless Free Agent spending?

-------------------------------------------------------

I thought Lovie said he wanted quickness & speed, even at the QB position?

JasonOfthetower

Hall of Famer
#46 : June 25, 2011, 11:12:32 AM

I might be crazy but I think the Glazers have heard the "cheap' stuff and I think they believe that a lot of the core fanbase won't come back until they prove they're not cheap. Going after a player like Aso who has name recognition and is regarded as the best player available in free agency - a player still young enough to be considered in his prime and at a need position (thanks to Talib's stupidity and the Falcons mortgaging the future on Julio Jones) - I think it would send shockwaves in the Buccaneer community.

Add a few more starting caliber o-lineman (it doesn't have to be a Mankins type), a speedy receiving deep threat (Steve Breaston, anyone?), a scat back (it can be a college UFA like Locke or Devine), add some linebacker depth, maybe a veteran pass rusher to help out the kids and folks - you may just be talking Super Bowl contender.

All that and the Bucs still won't be at the floor...that's when during the season once MW and Blount prove last season wasn't a fluke and Free puts up another massive season you pay them. I believe the Bucs don't have to be at the salary floor by the start of the season - but by the end of it. So they'll have time to see what our 2nd years do.

JC5100

Hall of Famer

#47 : June 25, 2011, 11:42:52 AM

This roster is not in position for a reckless Free Agent bonanza like so many are anticipating.

Anyone who wants to pay a king's ransom to 30 year old Asomugha

Hate

Hall of Famer
#48 : June 25, 2011, 01:25:38 PM

One man's opinion.... well maybe you and Unc Stan.

-------------------------------------------------------

I thought Lovie said he wanted quickness & speed, even at the QB position?

4bucs

Hall of Famer
#49 : June 25, 2011, 01:26:25 PM

I might be crazy but I think the Glazers have heard the "cheap' stuff and I think they believe that a lot of the core fanbase won't come back until they prove they're not cheap. Going after a player like Aso who has name recognition and is regarded as the best player available in free agency - a player still young enough to be considered in his prime and at a need position (thanks to Talib's stupidity and the Falcons mortgaging the future on Julio Jones) - I think it would send shockwaves in the Buccaneer community.

Add a few more starting caliber o-lineman (it doesn't have to be a Mankins type), a speedy receiving deep threat (Steve Breaston, anyone?), a scat back (it can be a college UFA like Locke or Devine), add some linebacker depth, maybe a veteran pass rusher to help out the kids and folks - you may just be talking Super Bowl contender.

All that and the Bucs still won't be at the floor...that's when during the season once MW and Blount prove last season wasn't a fluke and Free puts up another massive season you pay them. I believe the Bucs don't have to be at the salary floor by the start of the season - but by the end of it. So they'll have time to see what our 2nd years do.
theres a man with a plan.

bucs449

Hall of Famer

#50 : June 25, 2011, 01:29:22 PM

One man's opinion.... well maybe you and Unc Stan.
Who gives a **CENSORED** that he is 30. Don't get me wrong, I 100% love what this team has done through this youth movement, but there is nothing wrong with being 30. Asomugha is the best cornerback in the NFL. Why is everyone so scared about his age? We have seen again and again how older players are making huge impacts (woodsen, Bailey, I'm not gonna list all of them because there are so many). If the Bucs are lucky enough to sign this elite player, I completely trust mark to sign him to the proper contract in order to avoid problems down the road. I don't know about some of you guys, but with Mr.Freeman at QB, I'm thinking a trip to Indy next february. Now let's get it done on D. Go Bucs!!!!

4bucs

Hall of Famer
#51 : June 25, 2011, 01:57:52 PM

And for the record - I think an Aso signing actually helps avoid overpaying for talent.  Aso is 29 - he will be at an elevated level for several more years - 3-5.  Pay him early in his contract - freeing space for when the 'kids' are ready to be extended.  Might do the same thing with an Olinemen or two, and/or a LB
thats a great idea,makes real good sense.......lol I knew you were pulling for Aso......we have the money ...paying up front now won't impede them when they are looking for cash 3 years down the road to pay some of the young stars,and in 4 or 5 years biggers,lewis and gaitor will be coming into of their own.

Uncle Stan

Hall of Famer
#52 : June 25, 2011, 02:17:41 PM

Skip,

Not sure I mentioned $. But its a thought.

Learn to disagree without being disagreeable-Ronald Reagan circa 1981

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#53 : June 25, 2011, 02:19:43 PM

I'm really not pulling for him 4bucs - bc I haven't seen nearly enough of his play.  Folks whose opinions I respect - including yourself, Hate, Bucjoe and some others are very high on Aso.  I am looking from what I would hope comes across as a practical side.

The bucs have a stupid large cap space to fill
The space might well grow if Talib, TJack, Faine or KW2 not make it to the opening game
If the last three draft classes the bucs have enjoyed are as good as so many think there is going to be a long line of folks to re-sign in the near future
There remains some real needs on the roster - i.e. linebackers, offensive line, and perhaps defensive backfield
If those three need areas are filled with even average quality - the team's competitive level will jump to the top 5-8 teams in the league
And signing some FAs this year to contracts that will run off the books over the next 2-4 years will help Dominick as he attempts to hold onto his 'core' of drafted players.

So for me, Aso, Gaither and a few others could be used to fill a very large spending void, and perhaps move the bucs to the elite group at the top of the league

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant
Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: How the HELL are we going to get to the cap FLOOR? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools