Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Will the Bucs kick the tires on Tiki? « previous next »
Page: 1 2

michael89156

Hall of Famer

« : June 20, 2011, 01:12:32 PM »

Tiki Barber and Bucs a long shot
June, 20, 2011
Source:    ESPN  By Pat Yasinskas

John Clayton has a list of five possible landing spots for running back Tiki Barber, who has said he wants to come out of retirement and the Tampa Bay Buccaneers are one of them.

I never would disagree with anything Clayton says because he’s a friend, mentor and one of the best in the business. However, I think Barber ending up with the Bucs is an extreme long shot. I know people are tying his name to the Bucs, largely because his twin brother, Ronde, plays for them.

There’s no doubt Ronde Barber has some clout with coach Raheem Morris and general manager Mark Dominik. And the Bucs also could use some depth behind running back LeGarrette Blount even if they keep Cadillac Williams from leaving via free agency.

Morris has left the door open when asked about potential interest in Tiki Barber. But I think that’s more of a courtesy to both Barber brothers than an indication of any real interest in making a move. Morris has respect for both Barbers and he’s not going to come out publicly and say he’s not interested in Tiki.

But let’s look at the facts. Barber doesn’t fit one the Bucs are doing. He’s 36 and hasn’t played since the 2006 season. The Bucs were the youngest team in the league last year and they’re not going to abandon a youth movement after going 10-6 last season. Tiki Barber simply doesn’t fit Tampa Bay’s current profile.

Clayton’s list has the Bucs at No. 4. He starts the list with the Pittsburgh Steelers and I think he’s absolutely right on that one. The Steelers are more open to veterans and Ronde Barber probably has just as much clout with Pittsburgh coach Mike Tomlin (who used to be an assistant in Tampa Bay) as he does with Morris.

bucsbum

Hall of Famer

« #1 : June 20, 2011, 01:50:13 PM »

Tiki was a great player. He had to be in order to make it in the NFL with the name like Tiki. Just imagine all the harassment his rookie year.

Bucsfan x

Pro Bowler
« #2 : June 20, 2011, 02:13:43 PM »

Tiki was a great player. He had to be in order to make it in the NFL with the name like Tiki. Just imagine all the harassment his rookie year.

What's wrong with the name Tiki? ... Tiki Bars are very popular.

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

« #3 : June 20, 2011, 03:19:53 PM »

If you factor in reaching the cap floor, he just might come to TB. I don't really want him here for anything more than mentoring and a few select downs.

I guess it really depends if Caddy gets resigned or not.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

« #4 : June 21, 2011, 01:18:15 AM »

If you factor in reaching the cap floor, he just might come to TB. I don't really want him here for anything more than mentoring and a few select downs.

I guess it really depends if Caddy gets resigned or not.

Could happen I suppose.   If Caddy bolts and they don't sign a RB in free agency, might be a possibilty.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

JDouble

Hall of Famer
« #5 : June 21, 2011, 07:42:53 AM »

I can't believe that people are talking about a 36 year old RB that hasn't played in 5 years as a real possibility. This has got to be one of the stupidest things I've ever read. Any writer that treats this as anything more than a bad stunt, deserves to have his credentials stripped. Is John Elway going to come out of retirement next? Please.

Draft Aaron Donald

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
« #6 : June 21, 2011, 07:47:56 AM »

"Kicking the tires" on Tiki seems pretty far from the last three years of watching the bucs personnel actions.  Actually, such a move if done by the prior regime would have elicited moans, groans and worse.  Impossible for me to think Dominick would make such a decision. 

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

1sparkybuc

Hall of Famer
« #7 : June 21, 2011, 08:07:49 AM »

I believe Tiki can still be productive in the NFL. I know he doesn't fit the plan the Bucs have going here. I don't believe the Bucs will deviate from the plan except for a position of urgent need. RB is not that right now.

Tiki, you might give Bruce Allen a call. He has a different plan.

CyberDilemma

Hall of Famer

« #8 : June 21, 2011, 08:13:35 AM »

I can't believe that people are talking about a 36 year old RB that hasn't played in 5 years as a real possibility. This has got to be one of the stupidest things I've ever read. Any writer that treats this as anything more than a bad stunt, deserves to have his credentials stripped. Is John Elway going to come out of retirement next? Please.

Not as stupid as this...........

Charlie Garner goes to Bucs
ESPN.com - The Bucs have reached an agreement in principle with former Raiders running back Charlie Garner, opting to sign Garner over the Eagles' Duce Staley.

Garner is expected to sign a six-year, $20 million contract with the Bucs that includes $4 million in up-front money. Garner was also high on the list of the Broncos, who recently traded Clinton Portis to the Redskins.

The Bucs moved quickly to reunite Garner with his former Raiders coach, Jon Gruden. They had been negotiating with Staley, who visited last week. Staley spent Monday in Pittsburgh and was in serious negotiations with the Steelers.

http://forums.denverbroncos.com/showthread.php?t=8364

BucNY

Hall of Famer

« #9 : June 21, 2011, 08:20:26 AM »

This makes absolutely zero sense.

1. Caddy was the best 3rd down back in the league last year, why would we let him go?
2. Morris has already said we want Caddy back
3. If we need to spend money, Caddy is the perfect guy to throw a little cash at to keep him around as our 3rd down back.
4. Tiki Barber is 36 yrs old, and has played in 3 seasons. Why would he have any value? Why would be want to put an old guy in and take reps from a young guy when he'll be gone again in 2 years.

\\\\\\\"This forum needs a poster like BucNY now more than ever\\\\\\\"
      - Everyone

1sparkybuc

Hall of Famer
« #10 : June 21, 2011, 09:19:18 AM »

This makes absolutely zero sense.

1. Caddy was the best 3rd down back in the league last year, why would we let him go?
2. Morris has already said we want Caddy back
3. If we need to spend money, Caddy is the perfect guy to throw a little cash at to keep him around as our 3rd down back.
4. Tiki Barber is 36 yrs old, and has played in 3 seasons. Why would he have any value? Why would be want to put an old guy in and take reps from a young guy when he'll be gone again in 2 years.

1. Caddy was also the worst 1st and 2nd down back in the league. That's why an undrafted rookie replaced him.
2. What do you expect him to say? Everyone is healthy now. That might not be the case come September.
3. There HAS to be a better way to spend some money. The OL and defensive backfield come to mind. Graham can replace Caddy and backup FB as well.
4. Tiki's knees are younger. He's certainly more durable, faster, more elusive, more experienced, and probably more powerful. Do you honestly believe Caddy will still be here in 2 years?

Caddy was successful as a 3rd down back because defenses did not regard him as a threat. He was there for pass protection. Blount replaced him to carry the ball. Graham, Lumpkin, Bradford, or another undrafted rookie can replace him as a 3rd down back. Tiki Barber is hardly the only free agent available, and no way near the best candidate. I'm sure Dominik has a long list of better options. Caddy had one great year. It's time for a career change. I love his effort but get on with the youth movement.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
« #11 : June 21, 2011, 09:49:59 AM »

The smart thing to do is spend FA money to upgrade the O-line. Running backs are a dime a dozen and any of them can run behind a great O-line. Improving the O-line will improve the run game. A 36 year old broke retiree will not.

Draft Aaron Donald

gbobucsfan

Pro Bowler
« #12 : June 21, 2011, 10:08:49 AM »

^^^^^  THis

bashear

Hall of Famer

« #13 : June 21, 2011, 11:51:22 AM »

I just marvel at this line, "I never would disagree with anything Clayton says because he’s a friend, mentor and one of the best in the business." Dude, use your own brain.

Oh, and Jdub has the right idea, but not because I don't want to disagree with him.

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

« #14 : June 21, 2011, 04:03:06 PM »

Tiki is old now, but how much less does he have than a guy that blew out both knees?

Seems to me that would be the main question, because neither one of them will be here beyond two seasons.
  Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Will the Bucs kick the tires on Tiki? « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools