Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: When is the last time you heard Gruden talk in critical terms about any player? « previous next »
Page: 1 2

michael89156

Hall of Famer

« : June 25, 2011, 10:11:18 PM »

Analsyt says QB has 'rare talent'

Source:  Brad Biggs
 June 25, 2011, 06:30 PM EST

There has already been considerable debate about what kind of value Terrelle Pryor will have in the yet to be scheduled NFL supplemental draft.

The agent Drew Rosenhaus has emphatically stated the disgraced former Ohio State Buckeye will be a first-round selection. But you’ll be hard pressed to find many others right now who believe an NFL team is poised to use its 2012 first rounder on Pryor.

Most believe he’s a potential mid-round selection for a team looking to develop a quarterback.

Not surprisingly, Pryor has found a fan in ESPN “Monday Night Football” analyst Jon Gruden, who practically gushed over the quarterback’s ability. Why isn’t it a surprise? Geez, when is the last time you heard Gruden talk in critical terms about just about any player?

“You can't be more impressed with the guy physically,” Gruden told Fox Toledo at the University of Dayton's annual Tony Ernst Memorial Golf Outing. “He's all of 6-foot-5, he's 235 pounds. He's a double threat. He's one of those guys that can be a terror to defenses. He's got some work to do, fundamentally. He knows that. But he does have rare talent.”

Rare talent? Gruden was an offensive mastermind when he was coaching. But he won with veteran quarterbacks who had circled the block many times. We’ll see if he’s pegged Pryor right down the line.

Follow me on Twitter: @BradBiggs

Brad Biggs covers the Bears for the Chicago Tribune

bashear

Hall of Famer

« #1 : June 25, 2011, 11:52:10 PM »

I'd struggle to name one instance where Gruden was down on a player during MNF. Of course, if Gruden even thinks he might return to the NFL, he's taking a right approach by not being critical of players he might have to coach in the future. And his style seems to be working for him--a lot of viewers like him as a gushing broadcaster. If he would spend less time describing every player a future HOF'er and more time giving us football goodies, I'd like him a lot better.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

« #2 : June 26, 2011, 12:10:15 AM »

I don't care for his broadcast style, but that is just me.    It's too gumdrops and teddy bears.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

Captain Hindsight

Hall of Famer

« #3 : June 26, 2011, 12:12:38 AM »

This guy, this fair-haired guy right here, this guy.

MNF in Carolina was brutal.

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer
« #4 : June 26, 2011, 12:25:55 AM »

isn't he being paid to boast Pryor's stock?

Hate

Hall of Famer
« #5 : June 26, 2011, 12:27:49 AM »

When is the last time you heard Gruden talk in critical terms about any player?

He did once criticize Colt McCoy for his southern drawl.

-------------------------------------------------------

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

« #6 : June 26, 2011, 12:30:23 AM »

Rosenhaus has him going in the first round of the supp draft.  Others don't think he will get drafted at all,  and become an UFA.  Should be interesting.  He is about the same size as Freeman, but does he have the ball skills?
« : June 26, 2011, 12:35:30 AM The-anti-java »

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
« #7 : June 26, 2011, 02:21:05 AM »

Love Gruden as a broadcaster.  He is about as passionate about football as it gets.

He was cramped in Tampa.  Salary Cap issues from McKay.  Trust issues with McKay (might have been KcKay who was jealous of Gruden). 

He inherited an older squad that could not be pushed by Dungy any further.  And he won a Lombardi.

Be grateful.

Otherwise, we know why the trust issues with fans linger in Tampa.  Some of you guys act like Pittsburgh fans, or worse, Dallas fans.  Thinking EVERY year we are contending, we are winning Lombardi's.

Gruden is the only coach in Tampa history to have won a Superbowl.  I am VERY cool with that.  And Gruden is a guy I root for, because he is viscious.  And he won the trophy in Tampa.

Proud of the guy.  Until another coach wins, they are less than Gruden in Tampa.  PERIOD!!

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

« #8 : June 26, 2011, 02:40:50 AM »

I like Gruden and what he helped do for the Bucs, but no, I haven't heard him talk bad about anyone since his MNF ordeal.

Everyone has an upside in his eyes anyway.

Hate

Hall of Famer
« #9 : June 26, 2011, 07:12:32 AM »

Love Gruden as a broadcaster.  He is about as passionate about football as it gets.

He was cramped in Tampa.  Salary Cap issues from McKay.  Trust issues with McKay (might have been KcKay who was jealous of Gruden). 

He inherited an older squad that could not be pushed by Dungy any further.  And he won a Lombardi.

Be grateful.

Otherwise, we know why the trust issues with fans linger in Tampa.  Some of you guys act like Pittsburgh fans, or worse, Dallas fans.  Thinking EVERY year we are contending, we are winning Lombardi's.

Gruden is the only coach in Tampa history to have won a Superbowl.  I am VERY cool with that.  And Gruden is a guy I root for, because he is viscious.  And he won the trophy in Tampa.

Proud of the guy.  Until another coach wins, they are less than Gruden in Tampa.  PERIOD!!

While 02 was awesome, his passion for the elderly made 04-08 miserable for this Buc fan. Thank God the Glazers paid him to go away or we'd still be wallowing in mediocrity.

-------------------------------------------------------

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
« #10 : June 26, 2011, 07:16:31 AM »

Gruden either has something good to say about folks, or he says nothing about them.  Not a bad trait.

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

BaddaBingBaddaBoom

Practice Squad

« #11 : June 26, 2011, 07:35:50 AM »

yeah Gruden ruined the franchise for the better part of a decade.
« : July 01, 2011, 01:06:49 PM PRPatrol »

Chief Joseph

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer

« #12 : June 26, 2011, 08:20:06 AM »

yeah Gruden ruined the franchise for the better part of a decade.

Nice avatar.
« : July 01, 2011, 01:07:12 PM PRPatrol »

Illuminator is a good poster. He sticks to his guns and makes good points. Some don\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'t like that.

blind melon

Hall of Famer

« #13 : June 26, 2011, 08:40:08 AM »

Chris Simms in training camp/practice one year.

I don't think Gruden knew he was being recorded...

Go get Bridgewater.   Do what it takes.

The Franchi5e

Pro Bowler

« #14 : June 26, 2011, 09:29:16 AM »

He definitely tries to not say a negative word about anybody just incase he ends up coaching them. I wish he'd be the REAL Gruden, that would make some good TV.
  Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: When is the last time you heard Gruden talk in critical terms about any player? « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools