Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Fantasy Football Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Who is the best leader the Bucs ever had? « previous next »
Page: 1

michael89156

Hall of Famer

: July 17, 2011, 11:24:52 PM

Bucs have had leaders before but none like Josh

When you think of team leaders from recent Buccaneer teams, then you instinctly think of the defensive side of the ball.

Warren Sapp being the loud variety, Derrick Brooks the quieter one and back into the 1990s, Hardy Nickerson as the completely-off-his-head type. But all truly inspirational.

But how about offensive leaders? Naturally you are only going to consider quarterbacks in this category so how many out and out real leaders have the Bucs had behind center over the years?

Doug Williams would be one name that many fans would immediately pluck from the air but is that really true? Doug had to put up with a lot in his five-year career from racism to Hugh Culverhouse but he delivered on the field when it mattered.

I will always bow to the opinions of the likes of Dave Reavis and Steve Wilson who blocked for him during those years and they always relate to Doug being a leader in the huddle if not off the field and in the media.

Steve DeBerg was more of a leader than Vinny Testaverde ever was, Chris Chandler and Jeff Garcia were only ever in it for themselves and Craig Erickson simply wanted to spend time having a few beers with his linemen during his time as the starter.

So then we come to Trent Dilfer who so wanted to be a team leader and did everything he could to assume that mantle. He spoke to the media, worked out for hours and did some great stuff off the field to promote the franchise. His only problem was that he couldn't do it on the field when it mattered and so never had his team-mates behind him.

And then in 2009, the Buccaneers drafted Josh Freeman. Given half a season to watch and then half a season in the fire, he came back in 2010 with a sophomore season for the ages and recognition around the NFL as the next great thing. And he did not let it rest there.

It was Freeman who organised the off-season workouts, it was Josh who knew all the protection schemes and the receiver routes, and it was No.5 who led the team on the field to a 10-6 season.

And everyone I talk to behind the scenes at One Buc Place and in the Tampa media speaks so highly of his maturity and attitude and how his feet are seriously fixed to the ground.

The Buccaners have been looking for a leader behind center for 35 years. It looks right now as if they really have one who we can all admire and appreciate.

You've been great, enjoy a Flock of Seagulls.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#1 : July 17, 2011, 11:35:57 PM

I love Freeman as much as the next guy, but it might be a little early to crown him.  You wanna crown his azz, you crown him !!!!!!!!!

Hate

Hall of Famer
#2 : July 18, 2011, 12:05:04 AM

You wanna crown his azz, you crown him !!!!!!!!!

Done!!

-------------------------------------------------------

I thought Lovie said he wanted quickness & speed, even at the QB position?

yuccaneers

Hall of Famer
#3 : July 18, 2011, 12:34:37 AM

I love Freeman as much as the next guy, but it might be a little early to crown him.  You wanna crown his azz, you crown him !!!!!!!!!
Not sure there's a need for your venomous diatribe. Freeman is one of only two NFL quarterbacks in the history of the league to throw atleast 25 touchdowns and have 6 interceptions or less the other player on the list is Tom Brady. As Hate did, I think that warrants crowing his azz. 

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#4 : July 18, 2011, 12:38:56 AM

Not sure there's a need for your venomous diatribe. Freeman is one of only two NFL quarterbacks in the history of the league to throw atleast 25 touchdowns and have 6 interceptions or less the other player on the list is Tom Brady. As Hate did, I think that warrants crowing his azz.

It was a joke dumb azz.

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

#5 : July 18, 2011, 05:15:47 AM

Easily Brooks, Nickerson, Sapp, and Lynch are the best leaders this team has ever had. Id throw Allstott as one too. It wasnt just the fans who got pumped when the guy carried the rock.

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#6 : July 18, 2011, 06:16:52 AM

It was a joke dumb azz.
Keep  practicing on that joke stuff - you haven't yet mastered it.  Good for me that you said it was a joke - because I missed it as well. 

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

Hate

Hall of Famer
#7 : July 18, 2011, 06:49:29 AM

It was a joke dumb azz.

While there are plenty of dumb azz's on this board, Yuc def isn't one of them.

-------------------------------------------------------

I thought Lovie said he wanted quickness & speed, even at the QB position?

JavaRay

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer

#8 : July 18, 2011, 07:33:06 AM

Best leader they ever had that was a player was Hardy Nickerson.

Best coach was Gruden.

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

#9 : July 18, 2011, 07:39:52 AM

Best leader they ever had that was a player was Hardy Nickerson.

Best coach was Gruden.

Casting one out to see how many fish we can catch I see...

No I agree though at this point. Gruden did bring us a ring, but he also had many many important leaders on that team that were actually on the field. Nickerson is a great choice as well.

Tampa Bay Todd

Hall of Famer

#10 : July 18, 2011, 10:42:21 AM

Easily Brooks, Nickerson, Sapp, and Lynch are the best leaders this team has ever had. Id throw Allstott as one too. It wasnt just the fans who got pumped when the guy carried the rock.

Indeed. Lynch himself on the highlight DVDs said the guys on defense used to get up off the benches to watch when the A-Train started rolling.  "Alstott Up The Gut!" :)

Page: 1
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Fantasy Football Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Who is the best leader the Bucs ever had? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools