Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: We have the $$$, we need this guy. No reasons to not get him. « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

Hate

Hall of Famer
#30 : June 27, 2011, 08:42:57 PM

The Glazers will be in the bidding war, they will offer more money in the deal, but all that money will be "clever-like" put into a deal where the monies will never be paid in full.  Sneaky cheap Glazers.

But then people will say they are not cheap. 

Glazers got lucky by winning games with an underpaid staff.  I dig that.

I still think the Glazers are cheap.  No reason for me to think otherwise.

Who have yet to see us lose a player due to their alledged cheapness.

-------------------------------------------------------

I thought Lovie said he wanted quickness & speed, even at the QB position?

The Franchi5e

Pro Bowler

#31 : June 27, 2011, 08:55:12 PM

Man I cannot WAIT for this lockout to be over just to see if we sign this guy. If he doesn't sign with us I might hate him for the rest of his career though haha.

tatmanfish

Hall of Famer

#32 : June 27, 2011, 09:44:53 PM

Your numbers your spouting off sound like their from football outsiders, but why don't you go check where they have him rated as the 9th best CB in '10 and the 69tth in '09. While they have Revis rated 1st in 09' and 2nd in 10'. Just to give you some reference our EJ Biggers ranked 7th this year. Raheem will tell you what to wtih your stats, especially those kind of stats, but obviously Aso is not even in the same ballpark as Revis. Revis is the only CB worth that kind of money because he can take over games.  In my personal opinion Aso wouldn't even be the best CB on the team if Talib is here. Sorry, but your argument for spending our whole FA budget on a CB is lame. Offensive Line Please!!!

what numbers? the fact that he hasnt given up a TD or the 13 completions is in the video....the one the OP stated several times people should watch.

I didnt use FBO at all. Not sure why youre so offended I contended your points with legitimate facts.

Not sure where you get Revis and Aso arent in the same ball park as they are pretty much the top 2 CBs in the NFL. They both practically eliminate any WR that lines up in front of them.

what is the teams FA budget? The Bucs have like just under $60mil committed to the roster and its looking like the new CBA could require the Bucs to spend $40+million to reach the floor. At $15mil, it would roughly be 35% of what they would need to spend to get to the floor. All of their current player set to hit FA are going to be cheap save for maybe Ruud and Joseph....if they chose to resign them both. Ultimately, that would require them to still pick up a reasonably priced FA or two to reach the floor.

Also, I dont think anyone really thinks Biggers was the #7 CB last year. He played well and there some hope, but hes not physical and he doesnt play the ball well. He needs to improve a decent amount to be considered a full time starter and just a nickel WR.

Talib better than Aso? I just dont see it. Talib could be as good one day, but hes not there, not even close.....thats if Talib can even stay on the field to present an argument. The day teams dont even throw to Talib, then we can talk.
: June 27, 2011, 09:52:21 PM tatmanfish

Quote from: Illuminator
You were simply too smart for me.

Hate

Hall of Famer
#33 : June 27, 2011, 11:22:25 PM

after watching that vid, i'm baffled as to why ANYONE would have a problem with that signing.

-------------------------------------------------------

I thought Lovie said he wanted quickness & speed, even at the QB position?

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#34 : June 28, 2011, 06:41:07 AM

What - you didn't see the Football Outsiders links - geez, if you aren't going to read the offering of a thread....  ;)

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

CyberDilemma

Hall of Famer

#35 : June 28, 2011, 07:57:28 AM

Aso is not worth the $15 million a year he is going to get. Even if he was on the Bucs, Freeman, Blount, Mike Williams, and even possibly Gerald McCoy, Brian Price or Bowers would have more of an affect on the Buc's success than he would. When it comes time to pay those guys, possibly some of them as soon as next year, how are you going to justify not paying them the $15 million per year Aso is making? especially if they are clearly more important to the team?

the guy that hasnt allowed a TD iin I dont know how long and only allowed 13 catches out of nearly 500 attempts against the raiders isnt worth 15mil? How are some guys that only produced for one year or havent produced much at all better than aguy thats produced for his entire career? Football is still a team sport and saying 1 guy has a greater effect asside from the QB position is extremely debateable.

You gotta remember that the guy plays in a crap division that he goes up against twice a year, so I am sure that his numbers are skewed a bit. The Raiders went 6-0 against their division last season and they aren't that great a team. I'm sure Aso's numbers might have been a tad different if he had to go up against Brees and Ryan twice a season. He's good but how much it is hard to tell. Don't know if it is worth taking a $15 mil/yr gamble when the Bucs still have Talib and Lewis and Biggers in the development stage. If it were two years from now and the Bucs were on the cusp of a championship and Biggers and Lewis had both reached a plateau and Barber had gone on to greener pastures, it might be a different story. The Bucs ranked 7th in the league last year in pass defense with Talib, Grimm and Jackson out and Biggers (IR rookie season) and Lewis playing their first season, so if the Bucs have to tie up big money I'm not so sure the secondary is the best place to invest it right now. Just trying to look at the big picture rather than taking the kid in the candy store approach.
: June 28, 2011, 07:59:12 AM CyberDilemma

4bucs

Hall of Famer
#36 : June 28, 2011, 12:13:43 PM

how about THIS APPROACH......hes a probowl cb ....we need a cb ......and we have the money.....see how easy that was ....lets not over analyze this ......if Dom wants him we can get him ...period.

CyberDilemma

Hall of Famer

#37 : June 28, 2011, 12:43:05 PM

how about THIS APPROACH......hes a probowl cb ....we need a cb ......and we have the money.....see how easy that was ....lets not over analyze this ......if Dom wants him we can get him ...period.

That's exactly what Oakland was thinking when they signed DeAngelo Hall back in 2008. How did that end up working out for them?

4bucs

Hall of Famer
#38 : June 28, 2011, 01:22:36 PM

shame on you if your comparing DH to Aso......thats like night and day in ability and also Aso is an outstanding person thats great for the community.

this is a risk free pick unless he broke his leg ....that would be the only way for the bucs to lose out by signing this guy.
: June 28, 2011, 01:25:36 PM 4bucs

bucjoe

Hall of Famer
#39 : June 28, 2011, 01:22:55 PM

There is absolutely NO comparison between Hall and Aso!!

NONE!

.....just my opinion

#40 : June 28, 2011, 01:35:53 PM

Why not? What we need is a locker room guy, and a shutdown corner. Why not take one of the best in the nfl? Nnamdi doesn;t care much about money, just a winning team, and the Bucs are on the verge of being just that.

CyberDilemma

Hall of Famer

#41 : June 28, 2011, 02:57:25 PM

shame on you if your comparing DH to Aso......thats like night and day in ability and also Aso is an outstanding person thats great for the community.

this is a riHsk free pick unless he broke his leg ....that would be the only way for the bucs to lose out by signing this guy.

Where did I EVER compare Aso to Hall? Your comment was....

"how about THIS APPROACH......hes a probowl cb ....we need a cb ......and we have the money.....see how easy that was ....lets not over analyze this ......if Dom wants him we can get him ...period."

Hall was a Pro Bowl corner. Oakland had the money. Oakland got burned BAD on the deal and Hall didn't even last a full season because he just didn't fit their system and chemistry. He later went on to set an NFL record for interceptions in a game and make the Pro Bowl with Washington but by then Oakland was out a couple of draft picks and millions of dollars. I in no way compared ASo's and Hall's talents. I'm just saying investing huge money in ANY free agent is risky business, no matter how good they are. How many on this board were bummed that the Bucs didn't win out on the Haynesworth bidding war with Washington a couple of years ago? That was another bullet dodged.

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#42 : June 28, 2011, 03:06:35 PM

One would wonder if Tampa would have been a better fit for Haynesworth...

Oh well, there has not been any indication in play, conduct on or off the field that would lead one to think Aso would not be a fit in Tampa - DBs are Raheem's specialty - he will make the determination and call to see if Mark Dominick can make it work.  We will see if that happens.  I hope it does - such a move would be an indication the ownership and management feel the time is right to make the push to go deep in the tournament...

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

tatmanfish

Hall of Famer

#43 : June 28, 2011, 04:11:46 PM

Aso is not worth the $15 million a year he is going to get. Even if he was on the Bucs, Freeman, Blount, Mike Williams, and even possibly Gerald McCoy, Brian Price or Bowers would have more of an affect on the Buc's success than he would. When it comes time to pay those guys, possibly some of them as soon as next year, how are you going to justify not paying them the $15 million per year Aso is making? especially if they are clearly more important to the team?

the guy that hasnt allowed a TD iin I dont know how long and only allowed 13 catches out of nearly 500 attempts against the raiders isnt worth 15mil? How are some guys that only produced for one year or havent produced much at all better than aguy thats produced for his entire career? Football is still a team sport and saying 1 guy has a greater effect asside from the QB position is extremely debateable.

You gotta remember that the guy plays in a crap division that he goes up against twice a year, so I am sure that his numbers are skewed a bit. The Raiders went 6-0 against their division last season and they aren't that great a team. I'm sure Aso's numbers might have been a tad different if he had to go up against Brees and Ryan twice a season. He's good but how much it is hard to tell. Don't know if it is worth taking a $15 mil/yr gamble when the Bucs still have Talib and Lewis and Biggers in the development stage. If it were two years from now and the Bucs were on the cusp of a championship and Biggers and Lewis had both reached a plateau and Barber had gone on to greener pastures, it might be a different story. The Bucs ranked 7th in the league last year in pass defense with Talib, Grimm and Jackson out and Biggers (IR rookie season) and Lewis playing their first season, so if the Bucs have to tie up big money I'm not so sure the secondary is the best place to invest it right now. Just trying to look at the big picture rather than taking the kid in the candy store approach.

theres this guy namd Phillip Rivers who plays for the Chargers. Dont know if youve heard of him?  Hes thrown for over 4,000 yards a season and averaged about 30 TDs the last few years. Theres also this guy named Kyle Orton whos put up pretty darn good numbers himself. He threw for about 3,700 yard and 20 TDs the last couple years. Hell, even Cassell had a good year last year.

What a crappy division of QBs.....lol.

Quote from: Illuminator
You were simply too smart for me.

CyberDilemma

Hall of Famer

#44 : June 28, 2011, 04:49:26 PM

One would wonder if Tampa would have been a better fit for Haynesworth...

That very well may be true and most fans don't even blink twice at offering to throw the owner's money around on free agents but I tend to take a more realistic approach. The Haynesworth deal was for more than $100 million. Where is that money coming from? The owner's pocket? Hell no. Their profit isn't going to decline by signing any free agent. They will just pass that cost along to the fans in increases ticket prices. There are roughly 65,000 seats at RJS. The Haynesworth deal would mean that the Bucs would have to increase the cost of sitting in a seat by over $1500 during the life of Haynesworth's contract. If a fan is willing to pay that much more to watch an overweight malcontent, then power to them. I personally get more satisfaction out of cheaper ticket prices and watching young, homegrown players blossom into stars.
Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: We have the $$$, we need this guy. No reasons to not get him. « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools