Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Perfect Scenario In Our Defensive Backfield « previous next »
Page: 1 2

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#15 : July 06, 2011, 10:24:42 PM

Well now, other than Sean Jones, who is listed as our Free Safety.....all five of our other safeties are right around 200lbs.

Black is 190lbs
TJax is 200lbs
Grimm is 205lbs
Lynch is 206lbs
Asante is 210lbs

Maybe in the past we had bigger strong safeties, but not anymore. The roster shows it is more than just talk. As far as body type goes, these guys are interchangeable.
: July 06, 2011, 10:29:03 PM JDouble

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#16 : July 06, 2011, 11:11:06 PM

Being "watched" and having 9 post total has to be a new record.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

tatmanfish

Hall of Famer

#17 : July 07, 2011, 12:54:13 AM

tatman...our safeties ...are interchangeable .......have been for years.
That's what they say but at pretty much all times the Bucs have had one safety who weighs around 200 lbs and can cover and one who weighs around 220 lbs and can make plays at the line of scrimmage.

I think Jones and Grimm were about as interchangeable as you can get last year. Grimm was listed as the Free Safety and is around 200lbs, and Jones was the Strong Safety listed at 220lbs, but at least 50% of the time if not more, it was Cody who was playing in the box like a LB while Jones was in center field.
All the halfway decent SS's can make plays in coverage and the FS's can make plays in the box. That's just called being talented and athletic. But at the end of the day, despite assurances to the contrary, the Bucs have just about always started safeties who come really close to fitting the prototype SS and FS roles.

yep, even though they are interchangable, they play traditional roles most of the time.

Quote from: Illuminator
You were simply too smart for me.

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer
#18 : July 07, 2011, 07:53:35 AM

IMO the perfect scenario would involve us replacing Talib and T-Jax with viable long-term dependable players
Tanard has already been replaced.  By a 7th round rookie no less.  We still won most of our games without him and were one of the better pass defenses despite no pass rush.  There is plenty of talent at Safety.  We don't need him nor should we cut Asante, Jones, Grimm, Lynch or Black to make room for him 1/4 into the season.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#19 : July 07, 2011, 09:31:12 AM

When he gets reinstated he can start practicing with us right away, but he doesn't count against our roster for like 4 weeks, so he can come in and compete just like anyone else. I don't think anyone is saying to just cut someone else to give him a spot. He has to outplay someone in practice if he wants the roster spot.

xBuCsX_4_XeVax

User is on moderator watch listWatched
Pro Bowler

#20 : July 07, 2011, 10:54:09 AM

so Skull and Bones your saying you rather take the field with GRIMM over TJAX?..or JONES over TJAX?...c'mon man get real...TJAX has the heart of Lion..he's not big in stature but certainly plays big on he field...aside from TALIB...TJAX is the best DB we have...of course we need him bruh!

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#21 : July 07, 2011, 11:01:57 AM

TJax has played in 14 games in the last two years. Claiming he is our best DB is not accurate. You have to be on the field to be the best.

xBuCsX_4_XeVax

Pro Bowler

#22 : July 07, 2011, 11:14:48 AM

dude when he's on the field the guy makes splash plays...big hits int's ff ect...you name it he does it...and i think thats very accurate

xBuCsX_4_XeVax

Pro Bowler

#23 : July 07, 2011, 11:19:02 AM

Talib and Tjax are the only potential pro bowlers of all our DBs... and the man is obviously some what dedicated cuz hes been away for so long and came back in tip top shape..

BucNY

Hall of Famer

#24 : July 07, 2011, 11:35:56 AM

CB1: Talib
CB2: Lewis
NickelCB: Barber
Rotational CB: Gaitor and Biggers
FS: Black
SS: Grimm
Rotational safety is T. Jack

\\\\\\\"This forum needs a poster like BucNY now more than ever\\\\\\\"
      - Everyone

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#25 : July 07, 2011, 11:53:55 AM

I think at this point Biggers is a better #2 than Lewis. It'll come down to who looks better in camp. I definitely agree with Barber staying inside rather than being the #1 or #2 though. Call him the Nickel, the Dime, the free safety....I don't care. Just keep him inside where he is a great asset, rather than outside where he is a liability.

Black over Sean Jones to start the season at Free Safety? I don't see that happening.

Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Perfect Scenario In Our Defensive Backfield « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools