Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: When they agree on a new CBA, will FA start right away? « previous next »
Page: 1

Captain Hindsight

Hall of Famer

: July 07, 2011, 01:13:23 PM

I'm reading that even if they agree to a new CBA, it could take a week to process? Is this right? And I wonder if FA will start after they agree in principal or after it's completely set?

Bucs N Beers

Hall of Famer

#1 : July 07, 2011, 01:26:41 PM

What I've read is that they would have to finalize the deal, have the judges approve the deal and the lawsuits withdrawn before FA could start. That would explain the 1 week gap you've seen. Could be a provision that teams could negotiate with their own FA's during that period I'm guessing. But I haven't seen anything that leads one to believe FA would start right away.

Green Right Slot, Albacore 3 Y Quesadilla

Hate

Hall of Famer
#2 : July 07, 2011, 01:59:14 PM

it'll also take time for front offices to process how the new CBA effects their finances/structure.

-------------------------------------------------------

I thought Lovie said he wanted quickness & speed, even at the QB position?

tatmanfish

Hall of Famer

#3 : July 07, 2011, 03:05:32 PM

yeah, i think thats why theres finally a sense of urgency in negotiations. TC would normally start the 22nd. For FAs to start rolling in on time, they have to begin FA before then. This gives them just a short period to get it hammered out. Thats why I personally think a deal will be done sometime between now and Friday of next week. Its their only chance to have FA before TC and its therir best chance of not interfering with any of the preseason games.

Either way, it seema like teams will be able to negotiate with their FAs before the onslaught of FA.

Quote from: Illuminator
You were simply too smart for me.

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

#4 : July 07, 2011, 03:42:10 PM

The first week (while awaiting CBA processing) will probably be the signing of draft picks. At least, I hope. Then the FO's around the league will have to figure out the new CBA and what it entails for them. After that, it should be FA.

My question is, how long should FA last if it goes past the normal TC deadline, and should the trade deadline be extended going into this season?

Naismith was right about Revis. Everyone else is a dummy.

tatmanfish

Hall of Famer

#5 : July 07, 2011, 04:17:09 PM

FA last from the finishing of the CBA until the end of the year. FA has never had a deadline as you can sign FAs at any point in the year. The trade deadline will remain week 6. Its almost impossible to get a bguy ready to play once the season starts without a few weeks of catching up.

Quote from: Illuminator
You were simply too smart for me.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#6 : July 07, 2011, 04:44:34 PM

Nobody knows for sure. I've heard as soon as they have an agreement they can start the league year. Others say everything has to be finalized, sign, sealed, and delivered...which could take a week or two. Maybe more.

My guess is when they come to an agreement, they will announce the terms for Rookie salaries so that teams can get their rookies signed right away. They'll allow contact with all players so they can hand out playbooks and check out injured players and such, and start free agency for undrafted free agents immediately so they can have a short rookie minicamp. Then they'll open up free agency to everyone else and start training camp. Everything should be in full swing by the second preseason game.

The only tricky thing in my mind is that free agency will probably start right when training camp starts, which is going to be a bit strange and could put a strain on the FO. I hope we are organized and ready to go.
: July 07, 2011, 04:48:46 PM JDouble

4bucs

Hall of Famer
#7 : July 07, 2011, 05:55:36 PM

I believe that too....open up FA right away to the college kids and a week later the nfl fas.

Bschucher

Hall of Famer
#8 : July 07, 2011, 08:06:45 PM

This is going to be interesting for sure. Lets get it going already!

ryan24

Hall of Famer
#9 : July 07, 2011, 08:20:11 PM

Nobody knows for sure. I've heard as soon as they have an agreement they can start the league year. Others say everything has to be finalized, sign, sealed, and delivered...which could take a week or two. Maybe more.

The question is when is an agreement an agreement. They aren't going to want to unring a bell. So my thoughts are that they finalize everything first. Sign drafted players and possibly negotiate with your own FAs....although that one I'm not completely sold on.

Happy and Peppy and Bursting with love.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#10 : July 07, 2011, 09:50:24 PM

I have a feeling they are going to allow teams to redo their tags and tenders too.

AlstottUpTheGut

Starter

#11 : July 07, 2011, 10:09:54 PM

Does anyone know if the agents of the draft picks can talk with Dom/FO during the lockout so they can make an outline of a contract and sign it once the CBA is settled?

1. Donald
2. Bridgewater
3. Landry
5. Abbrederis
6. Lyerla

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#12 : July 07, 2011, 10:14:57 PM

Nope. They aren't suppose to have any contact with agents, although there has been plenty contact reported. One agent said it was basically a normal year as far as the amount of calls about undrafted guys.

Until the agree on the new rookie wage scale in the new CBA, there really isn't much to discuss though. The new wage scale should take most of the negotiating out of it....which is a good thing.

Page: 1
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: When they agree on a new CBA, will FA start right away? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools