Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Asomugha price tag + bucs linked « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 6

JayAuggs

Pro Bowler
#15 : July 07, 2011, 03:31:19 PM

We are NOT signing Aso for almost $20 milion a year. Not going to happen, period. I can't understand why people continue to ignore what this regime has been saying since they took over. We will not overpay for any position because we can find young cheaper talent elsewhere.  It's about VALUE and it will ALWAYS be about VALUE.

Agree to a certain extent, but the situation with Talib and the never ending lockout has almost forced our hand on this one.  If Talib is suspended, we are caught with our pants down, and our secondary becomes a glaring weakness that can't otherwise be addressed between now and the season.  And has others have said, if Talib is not suspended, Aso still fits.

We can't afford NOT to get Aso at this point.  We have the money, the cap room, and he fits.  If's $20mill, so be it man.  You at least know he's a sure thing
: July 07, 2011, 03:33:04 PM JayAuggs

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

#16 : July 07, 2011, 03:32:59 PM

How could Aso change our defence. Especially if we get to play Talib. If Talib does get to play will Talib punch Aso for the rights to mark the other teams best receiver. Also where will Rhonde play ? Safety? Line Backer? However if we do gat Aso how much fun will it be to play the Saints.

Heck if we get Aso we might be able to let our 4th string long snapper ( malcom Glazer)  get a sack.

How does having 2 shutdown corners change a defense? It makes it really really really really hard for the other team to pass the ball.

+1

And don't forget, if a team's CB's are tough, even their blitz packages become more deadly.

If you're a QB getting consistently blitzed by the LB's, and DL's, would you feel comfortable throwing against Talib, TJax & Scrabble on the fly over and over?

Sounds like a nightmare scenario for any QB to me.

Naismith was right about Revis. Everyone else is a dummy.

bucsbum

Hall of Famer

#17 : July 07, 2011, 03:33:21 PM

We are NOT signing Aso for almost $20 milion a year. Not going to happen, period. I can't understand why people continue to ignore what this regime has been saying since they took over. We will not overpay for any position because we can find young cheaper talent elsewhere.  It's about VALUE and it will ALWAYS be about VALUE.

Ok so the question is What is your limit. How much would you pay for ASO
my number is 12 million a year.

I do't believe the hype for 19 million a year. 12 million tops

Hate

Hall of Famer
#18 : July 07, 2011, 03:33:52 PM

We are NOT signing Aso for almost $20 milion a year. Not going to happen, period.

Gotta love these absolute statements.

I can't understand why people continue to ignore what this regime has been saying since they took over. We will not overpay for any position because we can find young cheaper talent elsewhere.  It's about VALUE and it will ALWAYS be about VALUE.

What did the pursuit of Haynesworth tell YOU about this regime?

-------------------------------------------------------

I thought Lovie said he wanted quickness & speed, even at the QB position?

JayAuggs

Pro Bowler
#19 : July 07, 2011, 03:34:52 PM

How could Aso change our defence. Especially if we get to play Talib. If Talib does get to play will Talib punch Aso for the rights to mark the other teams best receiver. Also where will Rhonde play ? Safety? Line Backer? However if we do gat Aso how much fun will it be to play the Saints.

Heck if we get Aso we might be able to let our 4th string long snapper ( malcom Glazer)  get a sack.

How does having 2 shutdown corners change a defense? It makes it really really really really hard for the other team to pass the ball.

+1

And don't forget, if a team's CB's are tough, even their blitz packages become more deadly.

If you're a QB getting consistently blitzed by the LB's, and DL's, would you feel comfortable throwing against Talib, TJax & Scrabble on the fly over and over?

And don't forget what's going on in the rest of the Divison.  The Saints are pass happy, the Falcons just traded for Julio Jones to go along with Roddy White, and the Panthers - well they're still the Panthers

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

#20 : July 07, 2011, 03:57:18 PM

+1

And don't forget what's going on in the rest of the Divison.

I'm not. It's EXACTLY why I'm ok with a Aso signing.

If TB were in a sissy division (NFC west), I'd say pass (with Talib or not). Every team in this division is capable of a ten or more win season yearly and have solid QB's. Heck, even the Pathers have the ability to mash out more than ten wins and we don't even know what to expect from their new QB acquisition. What we saw from them last year was terrible, but was it an indication of how they will continue to play? I don't think so.

Naismith was right about Revis. Everyone else is a dummy.

nick168

Second String

#21 : July 07, 2011, 03:59:53 PM

How bad do you want to be elite!!!!!!!!   we have young players now!   be elite now or when they start to age/ career ending injuries

Aso is older but.....  bring back the famous tampa defense!!!!   

lets see
 WR....check
 Qb.....check
 Ol....good enough check a lot of hidden gems still
 Rb...not a lot of money needed there check
 Fb....still have rendrick taylor!! never know..and graham not bad

D line.... umm ya we obviously   have talent lets coach now.
LB... dont know what we have yet... but could be good ..mckenzie, foster... we never know why spend money there atleast this year.
CB.. talib? maybe, ronde 1year? young players? sign Aso 4 years... our young CBs will learn like crazy
Safety. smae here could sign someone but we seem to have a lot of talent, we now need to find the best of the crowd and cut the Rest

if we get Aso and Freeman is better this year along with everyone else
 record 11++ wins  why not??

Cerious

Hall of Famer

#22 : July 07, 2011, 04:07:37 PM

If we intend to make a 'race to eleven' this season, strengthening the defensive backfield and offensive line is a MUST.

There really isn't a reason not to add a weapon like Aso to the defense. Signing him does not preclude help for the offensive line. If we make those moves we become a contender that much sooner.
: July 07, 2011, 04:15:15 PM Cerious

nick168

Second String

#23 : July 07, 2011, 04:17:19 PM

yes good point. when we spend money in free agency which we have to do

why not dump ALL of the money in the O-LIne and Secondary ONLY.. with a few guys sprinkled around in other positions.

tatmanfish

Hall of Famer

#24 : July 07, 2011, 04:33:48 PM

O-line and the secondary are the deepest spots in FA and happen to be 2 of the Bucs biggest needs. LB and D-line depth are they only other spots worth sprinkling money into....even then LB is a spot where the Bucs have lots of depth, they just need a couple guys to become consistent, quality starters. Right now Ruud is the only thing that is proven and comes close to fiting the description, but most see he=im as a huge liability in the run game.

Quote from: Illuminator
You were simply too smart for me.

bucs449

Hall of Famer

#25 : July 07, 2011, 04:38:26 PM

Aso would likely be RCB taking the teams #2 WR most of the time. This is what hes done in Oakland for the most part(occasionally he shadowed a WR...i.e.Fitzgerald). Talib would still be LCB and take on teams #1 for the most part. Barber would be the Nickel and maybe play as a starter depending on the Talib situation. Dont forget most teams run nickel 50% of the time so its not like Barber would be taking a huge cut in snaps and may allow him to play a little longer even if Talib isnt suspended.

T-jax I would expect to see much until week 6 or 7. He wont be able to practice or anything until week 2 and will likely need a little bit of time to get back into things. Being able to shut down teams passing game would hopefully lead to a decent chunk of coverage sacks as well.

This. With some concerns at the LB position, and Barber's ability to play in the box and make tackles, this team could play mostly out of its nickle package with Talib and Aso locking down the outside and Barber walking around in the box as the third LB making tackles and getting sacks. That is what the packers did a lot of last year with Woodson in the box and Shields and Williams on the outsides.

grotesktruth

Starter

#26 : July 07, 2011, 04:48:43 PM

yes good point. when we spend money in free agency which we have to do

why not dump ALL of the money in the O-LIne and Secondary ONLY.. with a few guys sprinkled around in other positions.

and if we're going to dump money, why not get the best available? why settle? that seems to be what we always do in FA: just settling for cheap middle road guys who aren't even worth what small contract they're given. Might as well pay the guys who are gonna make a HUGE impact. (k2 is about the only exclusion from this statement, and even he has his weaknesses-the fact that everyone knew we would be passing if he was playing)

4bucs

Hall of Famer
#27 : July 07, 2011, 05:35:16 PM

there is no good reason not to sign Aso and 2 olinemen.....if the saints and the falcons had the money they would......pay him a bunch up front and then you have plenty down the road to pay the young guys in  a few years....we could probably get him for 14 or 15 with the tax break and his wanting to come here to play for Morris...we could cancel out the passing game for eveybody......if we can do that we can win 12 to 14 games this year......especially if we add Gaiter and Litui and get rid of Faine,TB and DJ......WE WOULD BE AWSOME FOR YEARS.

Ladyfan

Hall of Famer
#28 : July 07, 2011, 05:39:34 PM

I dunno.  These high paid free agents usually take the first year off IMHO.  They are fat and lazy....

tatmanfish

Hall of Famer

#29 : July 07, 2011, 05:51:47 PM

I dunno.  These high paid free agents usually take the first year off IMHO.  They are fat and lazy....

wow, just wow! please go research Aso and the type of person he is before posting a comment like this.

Quote from: Illuminator
You were simply too smart for me.
Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 6
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Asomugha price tag + bucs linked « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools