Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Asomugha price tag + bucs linked « previous next »
Page: 1 ... 4 5 6

Willie Pete

Rookie

« #75 : July 08, 2011, 04:47:08 PM »

I think hopes are far too high for this.  We might be going to spend, because we have to, but I don't think our first big FA notion is to get in a bidding war with the Skins, the Boys, the Texans, and who else? I've lost track.  I think we'll sign our guys, a couple of line and lb guys, but no marquee types, and watch the Aso cash train chug right by. I would love the guy on our team, but I don't think we have the cred yet to lure him, and I don't think we'll spend the bucks to overcome that.  Respect has to be earned, not bought.  We're going the right direction, just takes time. But I am not going to be crying in my beer later over something I knew was not going to happen.

Uncle Stan

Hall of Famer
« #76 : July 08, 2011, 05:31:38 PM »

It will be Joseph or Grimes and a decent OL.

JMO

Learn to disagree without being disagreeable-Ronald Reagan circa 1981

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
« #77 : July 08, 2011, 05:57:23 PM »

Dam JD - you could have used something like he got hurt and couldn't play - you didn't have to break his neck - lol.  And if the bucs don't sign Aso - and don't participate in FA somewhat significantly, Hate might show us his version of a conniption.  Ya never know :P :P :P

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

Hate

Hall of Famer
« #78 : July 08, 2011, 06:40:03 PM »

And if the bucs don't sign Aso - and don't participate in FA somewhat significantly, Hate might show us his version of a conniption.  Ya never know :P :P :P

You bet your azz!!!

-------------------------------------------------------

I thought Lovie said he wanted quickness & speed, even at the QB position?

Cerious

Hall of Famer

« #79 : July 08, 2011, 07:08:21 PM »

Cerious they don't have to be elite. I'm not saying they will be or expecting them to be. Freeman, Williams, and Blount are the ones that will likely have huge paydays, but all these other guys will go from making $300K a year to $2M-$3M. In some cases more. When you have a team made up of these type of guys with these type of contracts, things will change drastically each year. I just wanna make sure we don't shoot ourselves in the foot.

I think we pretty much share the same opinion, just maybe from opposite sides of the spectrum. We both want to upgrade, I want to take a big gamble and you want to remain somewhat cautious. No problem with either opinion. I just feel that Aso will take us where we want to be in the division, on top as champs. We could use him exactly like Oakland, put him on the island against the #2 WR. That then allows us to use Talib and a safety to double the #1 WR or use a zone to shadow that side of the field. No one is beating that!

The Franchi5e

Pro Bowler

« #80 : July 08, 2011, 07:35:24 PM »

It will be Joseph or Grimes and a decent OL.

JMO

I'd honestly rather have Myron or Biggers out there than Joseph. I wouldn't mind stealing Grimes away from the Falcons but he's not better than Talib, and Myron and Biggers both have more potential than him IMO. Either sign Nnamdi or roll with Talib, Ronde, Biggers, Myron and Gaitor.

Booker

Hall of Famer

« #81 : July 08, 2011, 07:39:17 PM »

Joseph or Grimes is better than what we have sorry. Until I see it, those guys are better then our potential. I would be happy with either of the three truthfully. Happiest with Asomugha but if we land one of them, I would be happy.

Grimes or Joseph and Mankins or Clabo.. Win in FA

The Franchi5e

Pro Bowler

« #82 : July 08, 2011, 08:23:59 PM »

Mike Williams busted Joseph's ass in the 4th game of his career. Grimes would be a perfect replacement for Ronde and I wouldn't be opposed to signing him though.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
« #83 : July 08, 2011, 08:51:54 PM »

Sadly Grimes is a restricted free agent. He only played 2 games his rookie year and so he has only 3 years that count. I was bummed. I thought he'd been the best fit for us.

Now, assuming we don't get Nnamdi, I think we'll grab a guy like Richard Marshall or Josh Wilson. The situation with Talib really sucks. If we assume he'll be allowed to play, and don't sign a CB at all, we could be screwed. If we assume he won't play and sign a CB, we could end up with 6 CBs. I think you have to just be safe and get one though. Rather have too many than not enough.

We could just end up signing undrafted rookie Kendric Burney. He's a cover 2 corner through and through.
« : July 08, 2011, 08:58:55 PM JDouble »

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

« #84 : July 09, 2011, 12:57:33 AM »

Sadly Grimes is a restricted free agent. He only played 2 games his rookie year and so he has only 3 years that count. I was bummed. I thought he'd been the best fit for us.

That IS a bummer. I wonder if they're in cap hell though?

They might let him go to pay others. Or am I just wishful thinking again?

Naismith was right about Revis. Everyone else is a dummy.

CyberDilemma

Hall of Famer

« #85 : July 12, 2011, 02:41:04 AM »

It is statistics like this that lead me to believe that the Bucs do not need to tie up all their cap money in the secondary with a player like Aso....

Did you know that the over the past five seasons (2006-10) combined, no team has allowed fewer passing yards than the Buccaneers?  It’s true, and it’s not particularly close.  Here are the top five teams in terms of pass defense (yards allowed) over the last five years:

1. Tampa Bay…12,965

2. Indianapolis…13,393

3. Pittsburgh…13,433

4. N.Y. Jets…13,525

5. Oakland…13,576

source: http://www.buccaneers.com/news/article-1/Did-You-Know/f95ee46f-fc69-4f45-9326-75838963d007

Also, the Bucs have only finished out of the top 10 in pass defense twice over the past decade. What were those 2 years? One of them was the year that Morris left to go to Kansas State. The other year was 2009 during the Jim Bates experiment. I think that shows the Bucs have a coach and defensive system that can get the most out of the talent they have in the secondary.

BucMyLife

Pro Bowler

« #86 : July 12, 2011, 03:32:25 AM »

Stats only tell half of the story. Would like to know what our defenses Pass efficiency and ranking was during said time span.

How many games where we behind going into the 4th and the other team was playing ball control-protect the clock offense? etc....

The quest for .500 begins...

JDouble

Hall of Famer
« #87 : July 12, 2011, 08:31:53 AM »

Those stats tell a lie. The only reason those numbers are so slow is because teams have been too busy running the ball up and down the field untouched. They haven't needed to throw the ball. I'm not saying we don't have a solid secondary. We do. Rah is a great coach, but those numbers make it appear we have the best secondary in the league...and that isn't true at all.

4bucs

Hall of Famer
« #88 : July 12, 2011, 10:23:57 AM »

why pass it when you can run at will .....especially the last 5 years.
  Page: 1 ... 4 5 6
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Asomugha price tag + bucs linked « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools