Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Teams hoping Tebow and Ponder pan out like Freeman « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 ... 7

michael89156

Hall of Famer

: July 09, 2011, 09:27:37 PM

There just aren't enough quality NFL QBs

THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

Teams are banking on prospects like Tim Tebow and Christian Ponder panning out like the Bucs' Josh Freeman.

By IRA KAUFMAN
Published: July 09, 2011

TAMPA --
When NFL players finally return to work, half the league will be scrambling to fill the most important position in team sports.

While Josh Freeman's presence gives the Buccaneers surging confidence, a general lack of quality quarterbacks threatens to wreck franchises from Miami to Seattle and sink head coaches.

Things are so bad under center that aging quarterbacks Matt Hasselbeck and Donovan McNabb still have a decent chance to switch teams and remain starters.

Even former Buc Bruce Gradkowski could find himself in demand.

Philadelphia's Kevin Kolb, who has started all of seven games as a pro, is the subject of daily trade rumors because so many clubs remain in quarterback distress.

"The quarterback position is a hard one to evaluate,'' says Chiefs head coach Todd Haley. "Bill Parcells would always say, 'Find somebody that can evaluate quarterbacks. Get 'em and pay 'em whatever you need to.' "

Haley is still trying to figure out whether Matt Cassel is the answer in Kansas City.

Blessed with the NFL's No. 1 rushing attack, the Chiefs won the AFC West as Cassel threw only seven interceptions. Still, KC had the fewest passing yards in the conference and Cassel appeared lost against Baltimore in a lopsided home playoff setback.

Tampa Bay's two Florida counterparts are plagued by quarterback issues that are inhibiting progress.

The Dolphins appear to be sticking with erratic young Chad Henne while the Jaguars, seeking more dynamic play at the position, could vault rookie Blaine Gabbert ahead of veteran David Garrard.

"From our end, does Chad deserve the opportunity? No question about it,'' says Dolphins coach Tony Sparano. "Did he show progress? Yes, he did.''

Miami fans may not agree with that assessment after Henne went 6-8 last season, throwing 15 touchdown passes and 19 interceptions.

In Denver, new coach John Fox is weighing the merits of veteran Kyle Orton and Tim Tebow.

The retirement of Kerry Collins in Nashville and the expected departure of Vince Young leaves rookie Jake Locker as the front-runner to start at quarterback for the Titans.

The Redskins are hurting under center, with an expected training camp duel between John Beck and Rex Grossman that understandably leaves Washington fans apathetic.

When training camp begins, San Francisco, Cleveland, Buffalo, Arizona, Carolina, Minnesota and Cincinnati will have to make hard decisions about who will lead them in 2011.

Former FSU standout Christian Ponder has a real opportunity to start for the Vikings as a rookie. If the Bengals can't reconcile with Carson Palmer, new offensive coordinator Jay Gruden is likely to go with second-round pick Andy Dalton under center.

Like the lack of common sense at the NFL negotiating table, there's not enough quarterbacks to go around.

Meanwhile, the Bucs have no such concerns as long as Freeman remains healthy.

Recently voted No. 86 by his peers in balloting for the NFL's top 100 players, Freeman could realistically be considered the most valuable young commodity in the league.

While most of his rival general managers search for the next Freeman, Mark Dominik has the luxury of methodically building the Bucs around a franchise quarterback.

And as age inevitably creeps up on Peyton Manning (35), Tom Brady (33) and Drew Brees (32), the paucity of elite quarterbacks around the league will surely become even more glaring.

"You can win without a star quarterback,'' says Buffalo coach Chan Gailey, "but it's hard because we've put so much pressure on that position.''

: July 09, 2011, 09:29:15 PM michael89156

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#1 : July 09, 2011, 10:20:44 PM

Denver is talking about running the ball 75% of the time or something. Thats how bad Tebow sucks.  Good luck turning Timmie into Freeman.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

JavaRay

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer

#2 : July 09, 2011, 10:24:19 PM

Why would they want to turn Tebow into Freeman?   Tebow sells tickets and jerseys, Freeman doesn't.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#3 : July 09, 2011, 10:27:02 PM

Why would they want to turn Tebow into Freeman?   Tebow sells tickets and jerseys, Freeman doesn't.

Ya thats what its all about, selling jerseys, not winning Lombardi's.   [sarcasm]

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

JavaRay

Hall of Famer

#4 : July 09, 2011, 10:30:15 PM

How many Lombardi's has Freeman won again?

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#5 : July 09, 2011, 10:32:32 PM

How many Lombardi's has Freeman won again?

None.  You should know that. 

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....

JavaRay

Hall of Famer

#6 : July 09, 2011, 10:40:28 PM

Then any reference to Freeman and Lombardi shouldn't be mentioned in the same sentence.   You should know that.

Booker

Hall of Famer

#7 : July 09, 2011, 10:41:34 PM

Then any reference to Freeman and Lombardi shouldn't be mentioned in the same sentence.   You should know that.

You just did the same thing

JavaRay

Hall of Famer

#8 : July 09, 2011, 10:42:41 PM

Only to negate it.

Hate

Hall of Famer
#9 : July 09, 2011, 10:44:28 PM

I'm so glad we have our own guy. Imagine where we'd be had the Glazers stuck with status quo.

-------------------------------------------------------

I thought Lovie said he wanted quickness & speed, even at the QB position?

Booker

Hall of Famer

#10 : July 09, 2011, 10:44:39 PM

So you're saying I shouldn't say, "Josh Freeman went to see the Lombardi play.'?

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#11 : July 09, 2011, 10:46:47 PM

You should know your act is tired.  You get a vacation and come back with the same old tired arguements.  Geez man, change it up a little.  When your getting kicked off message boards, its time for a little introspection don't you think?

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....

anterrabae33

Hall of Famer

#12 : July 09, 2011, 10:51:09 PM

I understand as you're clearly new to the board and I guess you didn't watch many Bucs games last year because you were glued to the screen waiting for Tebow to finally get his chance. You see while everything was gloomy and sad over in Denver because...well...they were losing no matter who the QB was, over in Tampa, Josh Freeman and Raheem Morris led the Bucs to a 10-6 season, barely missing the playoffs and showing the rest of the league that the Bucs are a team to watch as they are on the rise and look to be playoff bound.

I think that's why they want Tebow to be like Freeman, because he is the future of the NFL at QB. But hey! Don't get down on those Broncos because with their inevitable losing season this year due to MANY reasons that just happen to include problems at QB, they will have the chance to draft Andrew Luck, who is certainly someone with the ability to be a franchise QB.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#13 : July 09, 2011, 11:00:53 PM

I understand as you're clearly new to the board and I guess you didn't watch many Bucs games last year because you were glued to the screen waiting for Tebow to finally get his chance. You see while everything was gloomy and sad over in Denver because...well...they were losing no matter who the QB was, over in Tampa, Josh Freeman and Raheem Morris led the Bucs to a 10-6 season, barely missing the playoffs and showing the rest of the league that the Bucs are a team to watch as they are on the rise and look to be playoff bound.

I think that's why they want Tebow to be like Freeman, because he is the future of the NFL at QB. But hey! Don't get down on those Broncos because with their inevitable losing season this year due to MANY reasons that just happen to include problems at QB, they will have the chance to draft Andrew Luck, who is certainly someone with the ability to be a franchise QB.

Java is not a true fan.  Here is a true fan, this guy inspires me. 

http://www.pewterreport.com/Boards/index.php/topic,1281582.0.html

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....

JavaRay

Hall of Famer

#14 : July 09, 2011, 11:04:32 PM

missing the playoffs

And that is the bottom line.

Page: 1 2 3 ... 7
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Teams hoping Tebow and Ponder pan out like Freeman « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools