Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: U.S. Women's Soccer Team « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6

BucsGuru

Hall of Famer
#30 : July 12, 2011, 10:10:18 AM

Her being right footed is one of the possible reasons why she may have gotten so much lift on the ball; it's a fact that most players tend to sail their kicks with their non-kicking foot due to leaning back on the kick.  That makes the kick even MORE incredible!

Morgan

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer
#31 : July 12, 2011, 12:49:33 PM

Other than The Open, this week may be the worst time to be a sports fan - so much that women's foosball still is the topic of conversation.

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#32 : July 12, 2011, 05:25:27 PM

Other than The Open, this week may be the worst time to be a sports fan - so much that women's foosball still is the topic of conversation.
Should the game displease you perhaps you shouldn't pay ANY attention it. 

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#33 : July 12, 2011, 05:48:15 PM

I tried to watch, and I actually enjoy soccer, but like all women's sports you are watching C grade talent that just can't play at a high enough level to be entertaining.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

#34 : July 12, 2011, 09:59:47 PM

I tried to watch, and I actually enjoy soccer, but like all women's sports you are watching C grade talent that just can't play at a high enough level to be entertaining.

Have to disagree with you on this. I agree that most women's sports (sorry women) are boring to me but I don't see anything in the men's soccer game (except more scuffles, bordering on fights)
that the women's game doesn't offer. In the women's game, you'll see blasts for goals, great saves, full length runs down the field that result in a goal, great headers for goals, great dribbling, putting touch on the ball, nice crosses, last minute comebacks, foreign players with one name (Marta) who are stars in their homeland, etc...

If you put a male goalie in against the US women's penalty kicks, I doubt that male goalie would have had one save. Every one of those PKs were in the corner. Perfect kicks.

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#35 : July 12, 2011, 10:03:06 PM

The males are faster and stronger so you get runs that don't look like people in mud. The kicks are much stronger and from longer range.

I don't think goalies in soccer can stop any penalty kick because it is pure luck if they jump the right way.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

#36 : July 12, 2011, 10:36:20 PM

The males are faster and stronger so you get runs that don't look like people in mud. The kicks are much stronger and from longer range.

I don't think goalies in soccer can stop any penalty kick because it is pure luck if they jump the right way.

The US and Brazil (women( both have players with speed who could make goal to goal runs. And there were a few in that game.

Can the men kick harder and from longer distances? Yes. But it's not enough of a difference for me to lose interest.

Go watch men take penalty kicks and count how many times they hit a post, hit a crossbar, hit it right at the goalie or miss the net entirely . The women, under
tremendous pressure, hts every ball into the corner with some being the upper corner. And went 5-5. Can't remember the last time I ever saw a men's team do that.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#37 : July 12, 2011, 10:55:58 PM

I like women's tennis much more than men's tennis.

I do not really like soccer, even though I was quite good at it once upon a time.  But my daughter was watching it, so I had to oblige, because a good parent will do as much.  I was lightly entertained.  Their last game was good.

Whenever I can generate tension in a sport, make some sort of quick emotional attachment to a team, for whatever reason, I enjoy watching it.

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

#38 : July 12, 2011, 11:09:59 PM

Sometimes, I make up stuff to form that emotional attachment. Otherwise, it's boring. With US team sports, it's easy.

Their last game was great.

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#39 : July 13, 2011, 07:59:44 AM

I know a lot of soccer folks who don't care for the Women's game because of the pace of play, and I know more that enjoy the pace of play because the Women's game is better paced for them to see the game - i.e. the men's is too fast for them to understand how the players are reading the game.  It is all in the eye of the beholder - everyone need not enjoy the women's game.  I suspect if the US can win today and Saturday that accomplishment with again have a huge impact on soccer in this country. 

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

#40 : July 13, 2011, 08:57:31 AM

With that slower pace comes more scoring, less diving and a more entertaining game. For some.

Great article on the women's game and why the differences between their game and the men's game make for it more watchable.

http://news.discovery.com/adventure/womens-soccer-sports-110713.html

Excerpt:

After settling in to watch the United States battle France in today's semifinal game of the Women's World Cup, fans may get caught up in the action, the athleticism, the drama or the tension.

If you're used to watching men play, though, you might also notice a change of pace. While both men and women soccer players compete on the same fields for the same amount of time and with the same rules -- the women's game has its own style and speed.

Perhaps most notably, the game stops much less often -- probably because women soccer players are far less likely to fake falls. As a result, play follows a smoother flow.

Fitz66

Hall of Famer

#41 : July 13, 2011, 11:11:46 AM

I love this chick...

www.Atlbucs.com
Facebook:  Atl Bucs

Morgan

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer
#42 : July 13, 2011, 02:01:48 PM

What a great win by the American team - best sports event that I ever fell asleep to.

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

#43 : July 13, 2011, 02:37:21 PM

Nice win with those two late goals Looking forward to the final.

Fitz66

Hall of Famer

#44 : July 13, 2011, 02:52:05 PM

Shocked (but glad) they won 3-1, it seemed like the ball was right in front of our goal the whole time.  I dont know what the shots on goal count looked like but they had to of tripled ours.  Congrats to them.

www.Atlbucs.com
Facebook:  Atl Bucs
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: U.S. Women's Soccer Team « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools