Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: U.S. Women's Soccer Team « previous next »
Page: 1 ... 4 5 6

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
« #75 : July 17, 2011, 07:46:46 PM »

Because I thought you would be able to understand the root word more easily.  My bad

Origin:
1535–45; disdain  + -ful

—Related forms
dis·dain·ful·ly, adverb
dis·dain·ful·ness, noun

—Synonyms
contemptuous, haughty, contumelious.

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

Col. Klink

Pro Bowler

« #76 : July 17, 2011, 07:57:01 PM »

Well we have blown it
Unfortunately - that is true - had to think the missed opportunities were going to cost the US eventually.

Gotta give props to Japan for two comebacks, though .... even though we aided them with that Keystone Cops routine on their first goal.

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
« #77 : July 17, 2011, 08:05:09 PM »

For sure there - Japan's first goal - just let Solo pick up the damned ball....

The missed opportunities - 4 posts/crossbars, wrong footing balls, and Carly Lloyd - has she even put a ball on frame during the tournament - I don't recall one... but not blaming one person - everyone is in good or bad...

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

Fitz66

Hall of Famer

« #78 : July 17, 2011, 10:49:36 PM »

zzzZZZzzzzzzZZZzzzzzzz
Why would you root for the US team when theres Fox News to watch?

...says the idiot who hates military members of the United States Armed Services.

I hope to meet you in person one day so I can tell you what a fn moron you are to your fat face.

www.Atlbucs.com
Facebook:  Atl Bucs

Morgan

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer
« #79 : July 18, 2011, 07:27:01 AM »

What did I do - get under your skin? Kinda reminds me of that email you sent me.

Fitz66

Hall of Famer

« #80 : July 18, 2011, 09:14:08 AM »

What did I do - get under your skin? Kinda reminds me of that email you sent me.
Not quite, your display of chromosomal incompletion is actually pretty funny because everyone here knows that you are one of the biggest fools around. I just want to tell you about it to your puffy face.

www.Atlbucs.com

Morgan

Hall of Famer
« #81 : July 18, 2011, 01:05:40 PM »

zzzZZZzzzzzzZZZzzzzzzz

...says the idiot who hates military members of the United States Armed Services.

I hope to meet you in person one day so I can tell you what a fn moron you are to your fat face.

We've probably already met - I go to McDonalds once-in-awhile. Maybe you took my order.

JayAuggs

Pro Bowler
« #82 : July 18, 2011, 01:32:20 PM »

The missed opportunities - 4 posts/crossbars, wrong footing balls, and Carly Lloyd - has she even put a ball on frame during the tournament - I don't recall one... but not blaming one person - everyone is in good or bad...

That's soccer for you.  I'm sure both Brazil and France felt how the US women feel today.  They let missed opportunities get away, and lost a game they feel they should've won.  Maybe less so with France, but Brazil certainly dominated the US women, and were the better team on the day.  Fitting that the US loses to Japan in much the same way now. 

Although the loss bums me out, it is pretty inspiring to see a team like Japan come together for their country the way they did.  While the US story would've been great had they won, the Japan story is really one of a Hollywood movie.  Maybe not to us Americans, but certainly to the rest of the world.

JayAuggs

Pro Bowler
« #83 : July 18, 2011, 01:48:16 PM »

zzzZZZzzzzzzZZZzzzzzzz

We've probably already met - I go to McDonalds once-in-awhile. Maybe you took my order.

Morgan - you do realize that this is/was news because people ARE/WERE interested don't you?  ESPN didn't have a "let's annoy someone with Women's soccer" contest and pick you as the winner.  The economics of news/entertainment is like any other service item  - when there is demand for a story, supply will be increased.  There is/was demand for Women's World Cup soccer, and the news picked up on it.

You can kick and scream about people's interests all you want, but all you're really doing is making yourself out to be the problem.  A problem who needs to post on a message board topic about how much they dislike people talking on a message board about that particular topic.  You know the beauty of the internet and message boards in particular?  You can ignore topics/headlines you don't want to read by simply not clicking the link.  Instead, you are so bored/boring at home that you are constantly clicking and complaining on a topic that you find to be boring.  When no one is forcing you to.  HUH?  You need a hobby and/or a hug

Morgan

Hall of Famer
« #84 : July 18, 2011, 03:00:23 PM »

You can ignore topics/headlines you don't want to read by simply not clicking the link.  Instead, you are so bored/boring at home that you are constantly clicking and complaining on a topic that you find to be boring.  When no one is forcing you to.  HUH?  You need a hobby and/or a hug

Actually the boring post was addressing the guy teaching me the difference between disdain and distain - but you're right - it could have been applied to the game of soccer as well. The sport that has tried to grab hold in the United States for 40+ yrs. There's a reason why it isn't successful: people get bored stiff. And this is a culture that can watch PGA golf and MLB.

Hobbies/Hugs - get plenty of both, thanks.

Morgan

Hall of Famer
« #85 : July 18, 2011, 03:15:49 PM »

Well we have blown it

In sports, a "choke" is the failure of an athlete or an athletic team to win a game or tournament when the player or team had been strongly favored to win or had squandered a large lead in the late stages of the event. Someone who chokes may be known as a "choker" or, more derisively, as a "choke artist." Choking in sport can be considered a form of analysis paralysis. The opposite of choking is to be clutch. A clutch player or team rises to the occasion under pressure rather than collapsing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Choke_%28sports%29

Fitz66

Hall of Famer

« #86 : July 18, 2011, 03:23:08 PM »

zzzZZZzzzzzzZZZzzzzzzz

I'd ask if you want to compare W-2's but we've seen how that game plays out, haven't we?   That pic under your name might as well be your face, cause either way I'll see a giant p***y.

www.Atlbucs.com

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
« #87 : July 18, 2011, 07:55:56 PM »

That's soccer for you.  I'm sure both Brazil and France felt how the US women feel today.  They let missed opportunities get away, and lost a game they feel they should've won.  Maybe less so with France, but Brazil certainly dominated the US women, and were the better team on the day.  Fitting that the US loses to Japan in much the same way now. 

Although the loss bums me out, it is pretty inspiring to see a team like Japan come together for their country the way they did.  While the US story would've been great had they won, the Japan story is really one of a Hollywood movie.  Maybe not to us Americans, but certainly to the rest of the world.
You are exactly right.  Nice post.

NovaBuc

Starter

« #88 : July 18, 2011, 08:22:15 PM »

Personally, I thought it was a great game to watch. While I would have loved to see the US win, I was definitely torn knowing what the Japanese team had gone through and what the effect they were having on their home country was. I don't think the US choked really (maybe the penalty kicks..but the Japanese had the advantage of knowing how the US did penalty kicks against Brazil). The US girls were damn unlucky with some of their shots hitting the post or the crossbar. I thought for sure the one of Abby's was going in, and then when it banged off the crossbar I thought it had gone straight down and in at first. Alex Morgan's one off the post was just as heartbreaking imo.. if it had gone in, it would have been one of the best goals of the tournament I think.

Not to mention the bad luck of Abby being in the wrong place at the right time on the last goal of the match.. if the ball doesn't bounce off her, I think it goes straight to Hope. I won't even comment on the first Japanese goal.

That all being said, it was an amazing stretch of games in the tourney with tons of memorable moments if you like soccer, and quite a few if you aren't much of a fan. I think the biggest problem in the sport for US audiences isn't the pace of the game.. it's that there are no time outs or breaks in play other than half time or a serious injury. Not conducive to a bathroom break or to get a beer or snack from the kitchen/concession stand. Soccer is among the most popular sports for kids to play in organized leagues, it just doesn't transfer well to the way Americans like their sports tv programming.

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
« #89 : July 18, 2011, 08:52:48 PM »

You can ignore topics/headlines you don't want to read by simply not clicking the link.  Instead, you are so bored/boring at home that you are constantly clicking and complaining on a topic that you find to be boring.  When no one is forcing you to.  HUH?  You need a hobby and/or a hug

Actually the boring post was addressing the guy teaching me the difference between disdain and distain - but you're right - it could have been applied to the game of soccer as well. The sport that has tried to grab hold in the United States for 40+ yrs. There's a reason why it isn't successful: people get bored stiff. And this is a culture that can watch PGA golf and MLB.

Hobbies/Hugs - get plenty of both, thanks.
You do know that approximately 20 million kids playing soccer - don't you? 

From the guy teaching you distain

Page: 1 ... 4 5 6
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: U.S. Women's Soccer Team « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools