Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: How much improvement is realistically possible for #5 this year? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

Beatles123

Hall of Famer

: July 11, 2011, 07:37:27 PM

First of all, before I say anything...

STEP BACK, FOLKS! THIS STUFF'S TOXIC! *Sprays the thread with Anti-Java Troll-proof spray (Not pertinent to The-Anti-Java.)* 

Alright! now that that's out of the way...

I fear that with no coaches to talk with and the possibility of a shorter training camp this year, our QB crusader, the Bro with the 'Fro, The FREEdom of Tampa Bay, JOSH FREEMAN--might not have much improvement in terms of getting better as a QB...I mean, I know he has evolved into a HELL of a leader and really has done his best this offseason with what he has. I truly do think he  will be consistent with last year, BUT will he have had enough at his disposal yo take the next step? When you look at the resources he has available it's going to be hard for him to really judge for himself how to improve, and if he has. He doesn't have Van pelt to get him familiar with more of the playbook and to make sure he studies THE RIGHT kind of film to help him improve his weak points.

So my question is this: Realistically, will Josh look much different or better than last year? How does he make the most of the training camp time that's left? What would you say he needs to work on? Is it fixable given the situation?
: July 11, 2011, 07:41:45 PM Beatles123

This space for rent....*sigh* I trusted you coach.

Blaze688

Hall of Famer

#1 : July 11, 2011, 08:06:09 PM

Freeman won't post a 95 rating this season, but it won't mean he's regressed.  In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if he throws less touchdowns and more interceptions -- last season was insane, and it'd be unfair to judge him by it for the rest of his career.  If he posts a rating in the high-80s, and we win 10 games again (against a tougher schedule), then I'd say he's improved enough.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#2 : July 11, 2011, 08:10:13 PM

First off, thank you Sir for allowing me in your thread.

I don't think Freeman steps back at all.  He already has the playbook so he could study that 24/7 if he so desired. But chances are he knows it inside out by now.   He has stated he wants to throw fewer picks, but hard to improve on last years total in that dept.  Your always going to have tipped balls that get picked off.   Just being more comfortable out there will help a lot.  I expect a huge year from him.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

anterrabae33

Hall of Famer

#3 : July 11, 2011, 08:16:51 PM

Honestly, his stats can go down for all I care but when it comes down to it, I hope he maintains his game changer and clutch ability. That and his leadership.

tanardtokerjackson

Second String

#4 : July 11, 2011, 08:22:23 PM

One thing I want to see is a decrease in wasted timeouts from taking too long to get to the line.  I swear it happened once or twice every game.  Its not all Free's fault but its still annoying. 

Beatles123

Hall of Famer

#5 : July 11, 2011, 08:36:22 PM

So let me ask you this then: if you feel he has improved enough already, does it mean he's hit his ceiling? What is the next thing he can master? Winslow says it's the no-huddle offense that Free will tackle next. Your thoughts? :)
: July 11, 2011, 08:38:15 PM Beatles123

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#6 : July 11, 2011, 08:40:17 PM

Someone mentioned audibles.  changing a play up when he see's the defense heavy to one side.  I have no problem with the guy, he is a winner,  We know he is a student of the game so IMO the sky is the limit,

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

CyberDilemma

Hall of Famer

#7 : July 11, 2011, 09:06:17 PM

One thing I want to see is a decrease in wasted timeouts from taking too long to get to the line.  I swear it happened once or twice every game.  Its not all Free's fault but its still annoying.

^^^This. His clock management in the huddle and at the line of scrimmage (especially early in the game) is atrocious.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#8 : July 11, 2011, 09:09:20 PM

^^^This. His clock management in the huddle and at the line of scrimmage (especially early in the game) is atrocious.

I always assumed that was Olson taking too long to get the play in.  Dont know.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....

Condor Bastadon

Starter

#9 : July 11, 2011, 09:10:54 PM

Despite Freeman's stats last season, he still has a ton of room to improve. He really had trouble getting going early in games...lots of times he never would get going until the last drive of the half when he just let loose. But he has to be able to follow the gameplan and make passes early in a game as well.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#10 : July 11, 2011, 09:19:17 PM

Free already gets it. He is already a great young pro. He might never have a 25TD / 6INT season again, so I wouldn't look for improvement in that particular stat column, but he will consistently get better at winning as he learns the tendencies of different defensive coordinators, gets better at recognizing the defense and calling audibles, and just overall game management. He obviously has everything it takes physically and mentally to be great. With his dedication and work ethic there is really no doubt in my mind he will get better and better.

CyberDilemma

Hall of Famer

#11 : July 11, 2011, 09:20:20 PM

With most teams, usually the first dozen or so offensive plays (and audible options) of the game are pre-scripted, regardless of what the defense throws at them, so I don't know if Olson is the problem. I don't know how many times the Bucs had to waste a timeout in the first quarter last year because of the play clock running out.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#12 : July 11, 2011, 09:22:42 PM

With most teams, usually the first dozen or so offensive plays (and audible options) of the game are pre-scripted, regardless of what the defense throws at them, so I don't know if Olson is the problem. I don't know how many times the Bucs had to waste a timeout in the first quarter last year because of the play clock running out.

I can remember Freeman standing there looking to the sideline on a few occasions with the look of.........C'mon    WTF?

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....

CyberDilemma

Hall of Famer

#13 : July 11, 2011, 09:30:04 PM

I can remember Freeman standing there looking to the sideline on a few occasions with the look of.........C'mon    WTF?

I can, too, but usually that's later in the game when he starts to get in his rhythm. Freeman, for some reason, seems kind of in a fog early in the game until I think he settles down and realizes what the defense is throwing at him. Maybe it's just the jitters until he gets in the groove. McCown, on the other hand, couldn't shake off the jitters the entire game.

Beatles123

Hall of Famer

#14 : July 11, 2011, 09:45:52 PM

Okay, but shifting the topic, how will Blount be able to improve? God knows he needs help holding onto the ball. I could live with him being more explosive finding holes, too. Too often does it seem like he hesitates before gunning for a hole...he needs to CREATE holes sometimes too.

Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: How much improvement is realistically possible for #5 this year? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools