Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: What would you do if you inherited $100,000? « previous next »
Page: 1 ... 3 4 5

Morgan

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer
#60 : July 23, 2011, 06:13:09 PM

If I invest my life savings in the US stock market, that's not taking a risk?  Yep - like someone taking their life savings and going into business.

To generalize about millions of gov't workers not knowing how to run a business or taking risk assumes that none of them run businesses. That's a generalization you can't make. I showed you that gov't workers including your girl Bachmann have been business onwers - several members of congress likewise.  Herman Cain, used to run a business and worked for the Federal Reserve. Think he understands running a business?

: July 23, 2011, 06:19:15 PM morgan

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#61 : July 23, 2011, 06:39:50 PM

If I invest my life savings in the US stock market, that's not taking a risk?  Yep - like someone taking their life savings and going into business.

To generalize about millions of gov't workers not knowing how to run a business or taking risk assumes that none of them run businesses. That's a generalization you can't make. I showed you that gov't workers including your girl Bachmann have been business onwers - several members of congress likewise.  Herman Cain, used to run a business and worked for the Federal Reserve. Think he understands running a business?
There is no explaining this to you.  Now, let's quit wasting valuable internet space trying.  I one cannot understand the difference between investing and running a business there is no furthering the discussion. 

One more thing - the implication of 'your girl' borderline insulting - and to check it - try doing the same thing with Barry. 

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#62 : July 23, 2011, 07:05:12 PM

There is no explaining this to you.  Now, let's quit wasting valuable internet space trying.  If one cannot understand the difference between investing and running a business there is no furthering the discussion. 

One more thing - the implication of 'your girl' borderline insulting - and to check it - try doing the same thing with Barry.
Sorry - missed the f in If.

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

John Galt?

Hall of Famer
#63 : July 23, 2011, 07:34:47 PM

There is no explaining this to you.  Now, let's quit wasting valuable internet space trying.  If one cannot understand the difference between investing and running a business there is no furthering the discussion. 

Sorry - missed the f in If.

Well, you can always go back and edit it unless you didn't catch it in 3.76 seconds

John Galt?

Hall of Famer
#64 : July 23, 2011, 08:08:20 PM

WOW, I don't think there is a big enough face or palm.

Okay morgan, if you invest half your life savings what is the most you can lose?
And if you diversify that over a couple of mutual funds or 30+ stocks, what is the likelihood of it ALL going to zero?
And how much time and physical labor are you investing?
What are the chances that one of those stocks "slips and falls" on your tile floor and sues you for 5 times your investment?
What are the chances that an employee of one of those stocks gets hurt and sues YOU the shareholder for lost wages and disability?
What are the odds that the county fines you for not having proper parking for your stocks?
What are the odds that the EPA fines you because an employee of one of your stock companies got lazy and dumped crap on the side of the road?
What are your potential OSHA fines for not having proper posters in regards to those stocks?
What are your non-cancel-able lease obligations in regards to equipment for your stock investments?
How many personal/individual guarantees do you as a shareholder have to sign for property leases, equipment leases, credit card processing, vehicle purchases, supply contracts, sales tax collection, payroll tax collection, workman's comp., liability insurance, future delivery contracts, product guarantees, etc. etc.?
What are the odds that you can be physically injured by owning stocks?
What is your Tangible Property Tax liability on your stock investments?
What are the chances of the State repossessing your car because the accountant at one of your stock companies miscalculated sales tax ?
How will the performance of your stocks affect your credit worthiness?
If any of your stocks goes Chapter 7, how much will you be on the hook for?
Can unexpected events in the stock market put you at risk of losing your home?

Is it even starting to sink in now? (stupid question, of course not)

Just to drive it home-> stock ownership= very limited liability, business ownership= full and complete liability.

Congratulations! Of the 20+ million Federal Government employees, you found 2 exceptions----TWO.

Bachmann and Cain have owned businesses, therefore ALL 20+million govt. workers are fully qualified experts at running a small business.
: July 23, 2011, 08:14:16 PM John Galt?

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#65 : July 23, 2011, 08:27:50 PM

If I "invest" my life savings in number 35 on the roulette table in Vegas, that's not taking risk like someone taking their life savings and going into business?  Sure, it's exactly the same - especially if you are a complete moron.

You let me know when this hits home, slugger.
: July 23, 2011, 08:29:22 PM Biggs3535

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#66 : July 23, 2011, 09:30:22 PM

Was it AOL the other day that opened that as a governmental employee you were more likely to die than get fired.  How extraordinary to have gotten ALL the hiring exactly right the first time.  Amazing isn't it!!!

John Galt?

Hall of Famer
#67 : July 23, 2011, 09:37:11 PM

Was it AOL the other day that opened that as a governmental employee you were more likely to die than get fired.  How extraordinary to have gotten ALL the hiring exactly right the first time.  Amazing isn't it!!!

Well if the govt. did fire someone they would get unemployment forever, so why bother.

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#68 : July 23, 2011, 09:42:39 PM

Well if the govt. did fire someone they would get unemployment forever, so why bother.
Good point - but 535 and a group in the executive branch I am more than willing to pay for off the top of my head.  And as I think about this typing - unemployment payments would be less than their salaries and who knows - it could be years before the lack of productivity is noticed John Galt?  You offered it as a joke - but it might be the start of a plan.... ;) 

OneTruth

Pro Bowler

#69 : August 01, 2011, 06:47:29 PM

Dbuc dude youre an idiot.

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#70 : August 01, 2011, 07:11:08 PM

OneTruth/Thomas - I am tortured that you feel that way.  Aren't you missing something -

Morgan

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer
#71 : August 02, 2011, 05:18:19 PM

five pages of recommendations (and other crap), wonder if the OP even cares about the advice
Page: 1 ... 3 4 5
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: What would you do if you inherited $100,000? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools