Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: This was not Mark Dominik’s finest hour « previous next »
Page: 1 2

jerseybucsfan

Hall of Famer
« #15 : May 25, 2012, 01:51:14 AM »

Every draft pick is the GM's responsibility. If you roast Gruden and Allen for Caddy's injuries, Buenning, Sears (the guys that looked pretty good at their peak, but didn't have a peak much beyond a year), you hold MD to the same standard. Now do we HOPE they won't pan out? Of course not. We want them to have long careers as stars and hope MD is remembered as the Bucs' best GM ever. But being a good GM includes having good INTUITION as well as having good luck.
IMHO this will go down as his best draft: Barron and David could team with Clayborn and McCoy to become anchors of a very good defense. Add a stud CB and a stud DE next season and suddenly the Bucs become ferocious. Imagine 7 wins this year, then 10 next year and a playoff berth and then 11 or more wins thereafter. But if McCoy keeps getting hurt and our defense stays lousy, you have to, at some point, say that you need to try your luck with another GM.

In Verner We Trust

watson

Hall of Famer
« #16 : May 25, 2012, 08:08:33 AM »

Kellen was a good sign on at the time.

If we're blaming Dom for something here, lets be reasonable. QB and MC80 are a close #1 & #2 on the "blame-o-meter.".
I understand your position, but I have to disagree.  I didn't like the trade when it was made and thought it was not a smart move.  MD gave up a 2nd and 5th for a player with "known' issues with his knees and other assorted injury problems.  That to me is not smart GM work.  If you draft a player that has not had a history of injuries and they start getting hurt, that is bad luck.  But drafting or trading for a player with that history is not a formula for building a good team.  Sometimes it works out, but in this case, I think MD got taken by the Browns.

I do agree that giving out some of the FA contracts was also not smart, but a trade like this one takes away 2 players and forces you to make some moves that can further weaken you during the draft in order to try to recoup the draft choice. 

Truths:
1.  Never have an argument with an idiot.  They will drag you down to their level and then beat you with their experience.
2.  For some it would be better if they remained silent and be thought a fool than to speak and erase all doubt.

JC5100

Hall of Famer

« #17 : May 25, 2012, 09:00:00 AM »

The Winslow-Benn-Gronk situation is exactly why bad teams are bad and good teams are good.

Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: This was not Mark Dominik’s finest hour « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools