Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: With free agency coming up, Mankins could be available after all « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

michael89156

Hall of Famer

« : July 17, 2011, 08:55:23 PM »

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports the league has begun contacting the plaintiffs in the Brady vs. NFL anti-trust suit about a potential settlement.
Schefter calls it a "necessary step to the end the lockout." The players involved in the suit, highlighted by Patriots OG Logan Mankins, were seeking a guarantee that their free agency could no longer be restricted by the franchise tag going forward. It's not clear yet if the NFL will give in on that issue.

Source: Adam Schefter on Twitter Jul 17, 6:16 PM

Logan Mankins could hold up settlement by demanding free agency
Source:   PFT
Posted by Mike Florio on July 17, 2011, 3:17 PM EDT

As the Brady antitrust action chugs toward conclusion, Ron Borges of the Boston Herald points out that, to the extent the settlement of the lawsuit depends on the approval of the men whose names appear on it, Patriots guard Logan Mankins could demand that he not be subject to the franchise tag in exchange for dropping the case.

Borges points to a dynamic we’ve mentioned several times — the fact that the plaintiffs in the Reggie White antitrust lawsuit received a lifetime exemption from the franchise tag as part of the 1993 settlement.

But that case was about securing free-agency rights, not about countering the league’s lockout leverage.  Before Saturday, when word emerged for the first time that the NFLPA* wants to restrict the franchise tag to only one year per player, there had been no suggestion that today’s players were disputing any aspect of the pre-2010 free agency rules.

Last time around, the NFLPA decertified after a failed strike, and after months of litigation ultimately secured a verdict that resulted in a settlement providing real free agency.  This time, the NFLPA shut down when backed against the wall via the threat of a lockout, and real negotiations toward a new labor deal began less than three months after the case was filed.

It arguably would represent the height of selfishness, then, for Mankins or any other named plaintiff to dig in his heels and request a cookie, especially since Mankins was at best an absentee litigant, participating in (as far as can tell via Google) none of the grueling and time-consuming talks that have placed the parties on the precipice of an agreement in principle.

Borges’ column seems to be sufficiently informed to suggest that someone close to the talks fed him with the idea, and with the notion that Mankins perhaps would accept in lieu of free agency the money he would have made if he hadn’t held out for a large chunk of the 2010 season.

And so the pink champagne remains on ice.  Hopefully, we won’t eventually have to hit someone upside the head with the bottle.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

« #1 : July 17, 2011, 09:33:04 PM »

Dude missed half the season and still made the ProBowl.  I would make a bid if he is available.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

Hate

Hall of Famer
« #2 : July 17, 2011, 10:17:07 PM »

Dude missed half the season and still made the ProBowl.  I would make a bid if he is available.

without question

-------------------------------------------------------

I thought Lovie said he wanted quickness & speed, even at the QB position?

Detrimental

Hall of Famer

« #3 : July 17, 2011, 11:18:02 PM »

Mankins is #1 need and #1 guy we need to throw the $$$$$$$$$ at. Elite guards usually last along time.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

« #4 : July 18, 2011, 01:35:23 AM »

Here's hoping Dom snags one of these cats,   Free, Mankins, Clabo, Yanda.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

MasterC25

Starter
« #5 : July 18, 2011, 02:20:21 AM »

Pick up Mankins LG, Yanda RT, Resign Davin RG,- We will have the best Oline in the league.

Captain Hindsight

Hall of Famer

« #6 : July 18, 2011, 02:21:21 AM »

Mankins is #1 need and #1 guy we need to throw the $$$$$$$$$ at. Elite guards usually last along time.

Serious question, how much time could we expect to squeeze out of him? He's 29.

SunnyD

Hall of Famer

« #7 : July 18, 2011, 02:25:51 AM »

Theres been guards that have played at a probowl level into their late thirties.

I'd say minimum, five great years out of the guy, and all signs point to us being contenders in the next five years.

GMC 93

Hall of Famer

« #8 : July 18, 2011, 03:30:37 AM »

I would definitely sign Mankins if possible and we'll most likely re-sign Joseph.......we'll have a nice Guard duo on the inside.

Formerly known as Revis Islander

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

« #9 : July 18, 2011, 05:14:17 AM »

Definitely worth a look. Its all about 5. Wouldnt surprise me if we went after this guy.

GameTime

Hall of Famer
« #10 : July 18, 2011, 06:23:39 AM »

is mankins name better than his game?  i would love to have him, dont get me wrong.  but are there other guys that do a similar job without as much recognition?

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

Hate

Hall of Famer
« #11 : July 18, 2011, 06:42:02 AM »

is mankins name better than his game? 

Absolutely not:

-------------------------------------------------------

I thought Lovie said he wanted quickness & speed, even at the QB position?

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
« #12 : July 18, 2011, 06:49:25 AM »

I am rapidly coming to the conclusion most fans of the buccaneers don't feel any free agent player is good enough for this team, and if the player is close to good enough they are far too expensive to the point where the bucs won't or shouldn't even speak to the player's agent.

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

« #13 : July 18, 2011, 07:30:17 AM »

I am rapidly coming to the conclusion most fans of the buccaneers don't feel any free agent player is good enough for this team, and if the player is close to good enough they are far too expensive to the point where the bucs won't or shouldn't even speak to the player's agent.

I think its just not wanting to be wrong. Guys see how good he is and say it would be great to have him but if he doesnt then Id be dissapointed. Better to be neutral about it.

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
« #14 : July 18, 2011, 09:23:28 AM »

Elite guards usually last along time.

I used to think so, but Alan Faneca and Steve Hutchinson's falloff is a little disconcerting.  Is Mankins one of those guys who will be studly forever or will we see a Faneca/Hutch-type falloff?  I don't know, but I'd still sign him.  He's a friggin' stud.

His age is the main reason I was hoping Carl Nicks would be unrestricted.  Oh well...

Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: With free agency coming up, Mankins could be available after all « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools