Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: With free agency coming up, Mankins could be available after all « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#30 : July 18, 2011, 03:12:34 PM

I don't care how well you accept it at the time of the signing, its not gonna be easy for anyone to go from 35mil a year to 7mil.

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

threadkiller

Pro Bowler

#31 : July 18, 2011, 03:20:00 PM

I don't care how well you accept it at the time of the signing, its not gonna be easy for anyone to go from 35mil a year to 7mil.

?  Happens all the time.  Except it's done with a signing bonus that is then prorated over the length of the contract.  So the player's cap number is a reflection of his base salary + x% of the original signing bonus.  But the player is still receiving a signficant portion of the total contract value up front and "only" receiving the yearly base salary after.  This just removes the signing bonus from the cap figure, but the true $ in the player's pocket in future years would be very similar to a "normal" contract.

BucsBay

Hall of Famer
#32 : July 18, 2011, 03:20:10 PM

Elite guards usually last along time.

I used to think so, but Alan Faneca and Steve Hutchinson's falloff is a little disconcerting.  Is Mankins one of those guys who will be studly forever or will we see a Faneca/Hutch-type falloff?  I don't know, but I'd still sign him.  He's a friggin' stud.

His age is the main reason I was hoping Carl Nicks would be unrestricted.  Oh well...

Yeah, but both of those guys "fell off" at around age 33, and even then they were still better than most Guards in the league. They just weren't the best at their position. I'd be for trading for Mankins, so I'd defenitely be for signing him in Free Agency. Unfortunately I almost think we may have a better shot at him if he doesn't hit Free Agency, because if he does he is going to require an absurd amount of money for a Guard and will have many suitors.
: July 18, 2011, 03:23:30 PM BucsPirate1

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#33 : July 18, 2011, 03:28:37 PM

Hutchinson is 33 right now. From what I gather his last really good season was 2008 when he was 31. I think Faneca fell of right around the same time. Brian Waters is still operating at a pretty high level as a 34-year-old, so that's at least encouraging.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#34 : July 18, 2011, 04:05:42 PM

Yeah, but both of those guys "fell off" at around age 33

Their falloff was earlier than that.  Faneca is 34 now, and hasn't been a top Guard since 2006 or 2007 at the very latest with Pittsburgh.  Hutch is 33 and he last really good year was 2008.

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#35 : July 18, 2011, 04:24:30 PM

Threadkiller, my statement deals with paychecks, not cap numbers.

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

michael89156

Hall of Famer

#36 : July 19, 2011, 10:03:40 PM

The Boston Herald reports the NFLPA executive committee will not recommend any special considerations for the 10 plaintiffs in the Brady v. NFL antitrust settlement.
Realizing it would be too "cumbersome" to satisfy individual demands, the NFLPA's decision came with "far less wrangling and horse trading behind the scenes" than recent reports suggested. The upshot is that Peyton Manning and Drew Brees will not be exempt from the franchise tag going forward. Logan Mankins and Vincent Jackson will not be granted free agency, nor a $10 million payout.

blind melon

Hall of Famer

#37 : July 20, 2011, 10:54:45 AM

I'd hope they are NOT able to franchise him.

I'd also hope we make Mankins the highest paid guard in NFL history.   There, I said it.

Second choice is Yanda and let him play either LG or RT.

Who knew how good it would feel as a fan when we now know what it\'s like for our team to have a direction, an attitude, and dare I say an offense?.  

Good time to be a Bucs fan.

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#38 : July 20, 2011, 11:03:33 AM

I'd hope they are NOT able to franchise him.

I'd also hope we make Mankins the highest paid guard in NFL history.   There, I said it.

Second choice is Yanda and let him play either LG or RT.

Yanda is best suited for ROG.  And he's much better than Joseph.

blind melon

Hall of Famer

#39 : July 26, 2011, 02:01:01 PM

AdamSchefter

Adam Schefter
Pro Bowl G Logan Mankins, who held out first half of last season, plans to sign franchise tender and report to training camp on time.

Damn it.

Who knew how good it would feel as a fan when we now know what it\'s like for our team to have a direction, an attitude, and dare I say an offense?.  

Good time to be a Bucs fan.

bucboi813

Starter

#40 : July 26, 2011, 03:26:05 PM

make the trade for mankins resign davin cut faine sign a right tackle  top five o line in a man scheme o right tackle should be clabo learn the falcons o and  offensive line calls to by the way wishful thinking

Live free or die trying
Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: With free agency coming up, Mankins could be available after all « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools