Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Ahmad Bradshaw could be a productive complement for LeGarrette Blount. « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

michael89156

Hall of Famer

: July 24, 2011, 12:10:10 AM

Don't expect Bucs spending spree

GETTY IMAGES
Ahmad Bradshaw could be a productive complement for LeGarrette Blount.

By IRA KAUFMAN | The Tampa Tribune
Published: July 24, 2011

TAMPA --
If there's a will, there's a way for the Buccaneers to be big spenders in free agency. Just don't bet on it.

When a new labor agreement is forged and the 2011 NFL calendar year begins, the Bucs could find themselves more than $45 million below the anticipated salary floor of $108 million.

That kind of bankroll has the full attention of every NFL player agent working a phone from Seattle to Miami.

With the start of free agency possibly only a few days away, Tampa Bay appears to boast the resources and intangibles to lure big-time free agents.

Coach Raheem Morris relates well to players, the Bucs are coming off a 10-6 season and Tampa Bay's weather is always a plus. No state income tax doesn't hurt, either.

Yet amid all the anticipation, recent history and core philosophy suggest the Bucs won't be overly active in pursuing free agents.

"We're going to stick to the plan,'' Bucs co-chairman Joel Glazer said four months ago. "The road that leads to sustained success is drafting well, keeping those players and growing the team that way.''

With the league expected to institute a brief exclusivity period for clubs to re-sign their own pending free agents, ownership's commitment to that stated approach will be tested.

"If you perform over a sustained period for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, you will be rewarded,'' Glazer said a few years ago. "We have never lost a player that we wanted to keep.''

Potential free agents like guard Davin Joseph and middle linebacker Barrett Ruud have been solid players hoping to cash in when the four-month lockout is lifted.

When more than 400 unrestricted free agents flood the market, the Bucs will again be on the prowl for value.

Age figures to be a major factor as the Bucs have gone very young since general manager Mark Dominik and Morris were hired following the 2008 season.

Bucs fans hoping the club has targeted Raiders cornerback Nnamdi Asomugha are likely to be disappointed. Asomugha, 30, will command a huge free-agent contract and the Tampa 2 scheme doesn't emphasize press coverage.

Other corners like Carolina's Richard Marshall (26), Cincinnati's Johnathan Joseph (27) and Baltimore's Josh Wilson (26) could be better, cheaper fits for the Tampa Bay secondary.

Injury concerns along the defensive line may prompt Dominik to pursue Giants tackle Barry Cofield (27) or pass-rushing ends like Minnesota's Ray Edwards (26) and Carolina's Charles Johnson, who just turned 25.

Second-year defensive tackle Brian Price still hasn't recovered from a debilitating pelvis injury, while rookie defensive ends Adrian Clayborn and Da'Quan Bowers, who is recovering from knee surgery, have never practiced in front of Bucs coaches.

With Dominik seeking more weapons to surround franchise quarterback Josh Freeman, Giants running back Ahmad Bradshaw and Saints wide receiver Lance Moore may be wooed by Tampa Bay.

Bradshaw's former backfield teammate in New York, Derrick Ward, was a free-agent bust in Tampa, but Bradshaw is only 25 and he could prove to be a productive complement for LeGarrette Blount, especially if Cadillac Williams departs.

Moore, who caught passes from Bruce Gradkowski at Toledo, is a precise route runner who has earned the trust of quarterback Drew Brees in New Orleans. Signing Moore could upgrade Tampa Bay's young receiving corps while weakening a powerful divisional opponent.

Under Dominik and Morris, the Bucs have resisted the temptation to make the kinds of big, expensive splashes in the offseason that have defined the Redskins during Daniel Snyder's disappointing tenure as owner.

"In free agency,'' warns Glazer, "it's buyer beware.''

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#1 : July 24, 2011, 12:49:26 AM

Hard to imagine the team signing a WR.    But who knows what Dominik is thinking.  Guess we will find out soon enough.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer

#2 : July 24, 2011, 01:28:53 AM

Hard to imagine the BUcs getting Bradshaw, if only because there are so many issues that still remain.  A lot has to happen.

Dominik needs to focus on the O-line, and linebackers, and cornerback positions, in that respective order, IMO.  Wideouts?  Check.  QB?  Check.  One solid RB?  Check. 

We'll see whathappens.  I am quite curious as to who and what they target.  I am sure we will all be boggled at one point or another about one thing or another.  Got to love the "Man's Soap Opera".

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#3 : July 24, 2011, 06:36:40 AM

derrick ward could be a productive completment for legarrette blount.

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

#4 : July 24, 2011, 07:09:07 AM

derrick ward could be a productive complement for legarrette blount.

Right. After the last throw-away ex-Giant RB you'd think we would have learned our lesson.

No thank you. I'd rather JF give the pigskin to Lumpkin or Graham if there is a change of pace back or sub needed.

..If they're going to pick up anyone from the "Gnats", it needs to be someone on their Oline.

Naismith was right about Revis. Everyone else is a dummy.

buchead

Hall of Famer

#5 : July 24, 2011, 08:05:56 AM

No from me as well guys. Dom and rah have made it clear they want big backs. So even if they got  small shifty back he would have to be happy with about 10 touches a game. Bradshaw wont be happy with that so he dont want to be here anyway. There will be  few teams ready to change up there playbooks a bit for this kid

1sparkybuc

Hall of Famer
#6 : July 24, 2011, 08:59:26 AM

You would think Ira would some FAs in mind for the OL.  Oh well, maybe next time.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#7 : July 24, 2011, 10:09:10 AM

I LOVE Ahmad Bradshaw's game and think it's exactly what we need. Unfortunately Bradshaw fumbles like twice a game....so no thanks.

It's been awhile since I pimped Chad Spann, but his game is identical to Bradshaw's in my opinion....minus the fumbles. Spann has never fumbled a single ball. I can't see spending a big contract on Bradshaw when he is a known fumbler when Spann would cost next to nothing and provides the same player minus the fumbling.

There are other UDFA running backs that could be that type of player for us too, I just mention Spann because I have been comparing him to Ahmad Bradshaw since December. I know some of you are rolling your eyes, but please remember that Ahmad Bradshaw was a 7th round pick himself. Just 6 picks away from being undrafted. 250th overall. We took Kenneth Darby 4 picks before him! Hahahah!
: July 24, 2011, 10:14:05 AM JDouble

Condor Bastadon

Starter

#8 : July 24, 2011, 10:09:59 AM

I actually love Bradshaw as a RB....one of the best quick, slasher types in the league. And he's a great pass blocker too if I recall correctly. If we can't bring back Caddy or get Reggie Bush for a decent price, I wouldn't mind him at all.

bucinsouthFL

Starter

#9 : July 24, 2011, 10:59:54 AM

I don't think Bradshaw would be another Ward. Hes a great back who is shifty and does a lot of work for his runs, I think his numbers have more to do with talent than depending on a talented O-Line, imo he is one of the more underated backs in the NFL. If we could get him for the right price, and Olsen could find a way to work both him and Blount into our offense, I don't see why not. He's a proven threat and still young. But like J-Dub said he has a pretty big fumbling probelm, but that can always be fixed.

Hate

Hall of Famer
#10 : July 24, 2011, 11:06:54 AM

We'll see what happens.  I am quite curious as to who and what they target.  I am sure we will all be boggled at one point or another about one thing or another.  Got to love the "Man's Soap Opera".

its like Xmas Eve

-------------------------------------------------------

I thought Lovie said he wanted quickness & speed, even at the QB position?

Tebowmania 25

Pro Bowler

#11 : July 24, 2011, 11:25:20 AM

derrick ward could be a productive completment for legarrette blount.

Beat me to it man! I like Bradshaw but I think Ward will scare us away from him. I'd rather sign a guy like Devine from WV.

Madman

Hall of Famer
#12 : July 24, 2011, 01:26:41 PM

Other corners like Carolina's Richard Marshall (26), Cincinnati's Johnathan Joseph (27) and Baltimore's Josh Wilson (26) could be better, cheaper fits for the Tampa Bay secondary.

I really like the idea of making a run at Richard Marshall. Bucs were rumored to like him coming out. He's darn good and still plenty young.

wreck ship

Hall of Famer

#13 : July 24, 2011, 02:05:25 PM

Bucs need d-line.

Signing skilled positions seems pointless when we got shredded on run D last season. Clayborn is a beast and an upgrade at DE and McCoy has a season under his belt, not to mention an intense offseason. Bowers should only see the field on obvious passing downs so getting another stud run defender at defensive end should be the FA priority if any.

The Bucs could use a beastly LB if any are available. I'm not sold on Polunsky(sp?) from B-lo. We might have our future LB core already on roster but considering the inconsistency last season from this unit, nothing can be taking off the table.

If our front 7 can consistently stuff the run and get pressure, watch out!

philosophy is questions that may never be answered
religion is answers that may never be questioned

The Franchi5e

Pro Bowler

#14 : July 24, 2011, 04:28:26 PM

We'll see what happens.  I am quite curious as to who and what they target.  I am sure we will all be boggled at one point or another about one thing or another.  Got to love the "Man's Soap Opera".

its like Xmas Eve
Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Ahmad Bradshaw could be a productive complement for LeGarrette Blount. « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools