Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: What could have been « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5

JavaRay

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer

#15 : July 25, 2011, 01:43:54 AM

I'll take Barry Sanders or Walter Payton over any guy in that list as well.

Bucman

Hall of Famer
#16 : July 25, 2011, 01:45:11 AM

I'll take Barry Sanders or Walter Payton over any guy in your list there.
Over Jim Brown  :o

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#17 : July 25, 2011, 01:47:15 AM

Taking running backs in the first round is stupid.

(There is no position you exclude in the first round.  You take the best player based on the talent available that year.   Just because one player in a weak draft year didn't work out the way you may have wanted, you don't base your mindset on that.)

Really?   You would pick the best kicker or long snapper in the first round?
: July 25, 2011, 01:48:48 AM The-anti-java

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

JavaRay

Hall of Famer

#18 : July 25, 2011, 01:48:50 AM

Over Jim Brown  :o

Jim Brown was a first round pick and goes further to support the fact that picking RB's in the first round is not stupid.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#19 : July 25, 2011, 01:51:09 AM

Good post.    You obviously know football.   These guys taken in the first round really suck.  Stupid picks.

Barry Sanders
Walter Payton
Emmitt Smith
Eric **CENSORED**erson
Jim Brown
Larry Csonka
OJ Simpson
John Riggins
Earl Campbell
Tony Dorsett
Franco Harris
Marshall Faulk
Fred Taylor
LaDainian Tomlinson
Adrian Peterson

etc. etc. etc.

Pretty much a Who's Who of the NFL football Hall of Fame running backs.   But stupid picks for sure.   Good call.

(There is no position you exclude in the first round.  You take the best player based on the talent available that year.   Just because one player in a weak draft year didn't work out the way you may have wanted, you don't base your mindset on that.)

Wow. 15 guys in 60 years of football. That's nice. i can make lists too. Here's my list of 1st round RBs taken in the last 10 years that have either been out right horrible, mediocre, or only good for a few years before burning out. My list is bigger.

Michael Bennett
Ron Dayne
Trung Canidate
William Green
T. J. Duckett
Willis McGahee
Chris Perry
Kevin Jones
Ronnie Brown
Cedric Benson
Carnell Williams
Larry Johnson
Laurence Maroney
Reggie Bush
Marshawn Lynch
Darren McFadden
Felix Jones
Knowshon Moreno
Chris Wells
Donald Brown

Running backs have the shortest life span of any position. They are a dime a dozen. They are the easiest position to find in the late rounds or as undrafted gems at. If you spend a 1st on one, he better be the 16th guy on your list and play for 10 years....or it was a stupid pick. Sound like a good gamble? Doesn't to me. I'd reserve the 1st round for QBs, OTs, CBs, and pass rushers. You know, guys that can make your team better for a decade or more.

Hate

Hall of Famer
#20 : July 25, 2011, 01:52:33 AM

I'd love to hang out with the guy and have a beer. He seems awesome and his story is amazing....but that has nothing to do with us wasting a top 5 pick on him or him being on the Buccaneers roster this year.

That......right there ^^^

I would never go so far as to say taking a RB in the first is stupid.....but taking an avg RB in the first is. Guy wasn't special in college...... and that carried over into his pro career.
: July 25, 2011, 01:55:14 AM Hate

-------------------------------------------------------

I thought Lovie said he wanted quickness & speed, even at the QB position?

JavaRay

Hall of Famer

#21 : July 25, 2011, 01:53:15 AM

I don't consider long snapper to be a position you draft for.   That's usually an offensive lineman.   Can you show it to me in the list here of positions drafted?   http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/fulldraft?type=position

Kicker?  Sure.   If he's great.   You never know, maybe some special kicker comes along who can routinely make 70 yard field goals and kick out of the end zone every time.   You wouldn't pick him if he was there?

JavaRay

Hall of Famer

#22 : July 25, 2011, 01:54:25 AM

Wow. 15 guys in 60 years of football. That's nice.

I did not provide a complete list at all.   Just named a few.   There were many others.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#23 : July 25, 2011, 01:55:16 AM

You completely missed the point....or you're avoiding it cause you know I am right.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#24 : July 25, 2011, 01:56:49 AM

I don't consider long snapper to be a position you draft for.   That's usually an offensive lineman.   Can you show it to me in the list here of positions drafted?   http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/fulldraft?type=position

Kicker?  Sure.   If he's great.   You never know, maybe some special kicker comes along who can routinely make 70 yard field goals and kick out of the end zone every time.   You wouldn't pick him if he was there?

Off the top of my head  the only one to ever do that was Al Davis years ago.  And people are still laughing at that move.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

Hate

Hall of Famer
#25 : July 25, 2011, 01:58:32 AM

And whenever someone brings up ROY, i feel compelled to remind them that that class was crap. MJD comes out the next yr, drafted in the 2nd round and his #s dwarfed Carnell's and he was like 4th in the voting.

-------------------------------------------------------

I thought Lovie said he wanted quickness & speed, even at the QB position?

JavaRay

Hall of Famer

#26 : July 25, 2011, 02:00:49 AM

Running backs. They are a dime a dozen.

Ya, these guys are really a dime a dozen. 

Only 3 of the greatest players in the history of the game.

AKA T.Calvin

Starter

#27 : July 25, 2011, 02:02:23 AM

Who wouldn't? Good luck finding them they DON'T come often..

Bucman

Hall of Famer
#28 : July 25, 2011, 02:02:35 AM

Didn't the Raiders take Ray Guy in round 1 too? If your going to take a kicker in round 1. Then you better have no other needs or that kicker better be making 80 yarders on a game day basis.

JavaRay

Hall of Famer

#29 : July 25, 2011, 02:04:34 AM

Off the top of my head  the only one to ever do that was Al Davis years ago.  And people are still laughing at that move.

That's not the only time kickers have been picked that high.   The one that panned out best was Ray Guy punter for the Raiders.  That dude was a phenomenal punter.   Janikowski was probably the 2nd best ever 1st round pick of a kicker so really that wasn't as bad a pick as you might suggest.

Page: 1 2 3 4 5
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: What could have been « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools