Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: What could have been « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5

JavaRay

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer

#30 : July 25, 2011, 02:05:37 AM

I'll take Barry Sanders or Walter Payton over any guy in your list there.
Who wouldn't? Good luck finding them they DON'T come often..

That's for sure.   But it was not stupid to pick them in the first round.

AKA T.Calvin

Starter

#31 : July 25, 2011, 02:06:31 AM

Running backs. They are a dime a dozen.

Ya, these guys are really a dime a dozen. 

Only 3 of the greatest players in the history of the game.
For every great you name  drafted in the first round i can name two scrubs that were first rounders..wanna play?

JavaRay

Hall of Famer

#32 : July 25, 2011, 02:08:14 AM

I can play that same game with ANY position.   There are always more busts than successful picks at any position.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#33 : July 25, 2011, 02:10:04 AM

Off the top of my head  the only one to ever do that was Al Davis years ago.  And people are still laughing at that move.

That's not the only time kickers have been picked that high.   The one that panned out best was Ray Guy punter for the Raiders.  That dude was a phenomenal punter.   Janikowski was probably the 2nd best ever 1st round pick of a kicker so really that wasn't as bad a pick as you might suggest.

The joke was they would of been there in the later rounds.

JavaRay

Hall of Famer

#34 : July 25, 2011, 02:14:24 AM

That's true.  Chris Hovan and Anthony Becht went a few picks later.   They could have picked one of them.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#35 : July 25, 2011, 02:20:41 AM

Java doesn't seem to get this point.

AKA T.Calvin

Starter

#36 : July 25, 2011, 02:24:36 AM

I can play that same game with ANY position.   There are always more busts than successful picks at any position.
Now you're making sense! with that being said

1.QB- Driven league

2.RB-By-committee approach

the general nature/value of the position

unless you're drafting a hall of famer or perrenial allstar,you're usually only gonna get 5-6 years of great production which isnt bad but you can get that from an undrafted or mid to late round player ..keep in mind people are trying to keep a job so you cant be in the buisness of guessing wrong

JavaRay

Hall of Famer

#37 : July 25, 2011, 02:26:53 AM

Java doesn't seem to get this point.

Do you even read the thread before posting?   My post 4 or 5 posts before yours quotes this same quote and says...

"That's for sure.   But it was not stupid to pick them in the first round."

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#38 : July 25, 2011, 02:28:59 AM

Now you're making sense! with that being said

1.QB- Driven league

2.RB-By-committee approach

the general nature/value of the position

unless you're drafting a hall of famer or perrenial allstar,you're usually only gonna get 5-6 years of great production which isnt bad but you can get that from an undrafted or mid to late round player ..keep in mind people are trying to keep a job so you cant be in the buisness of guessing wrong

This man knows football.   Too bad Java doesn't .  He does know trivia though, I will give him that.

JavaRay

Hall of Famer

#39 : July 25, 2011, 02:29:19 AM

So if JDouble was in charge of the draft and Jim Brown, Walter Payton or Barry Sanders were on the board, he would recommend picking Gaines Adams in the first round since picking a RB is stupid.

Ok, we understand.

notabucsfan

Hall of Famer

#40 : July 25, 2011, 02:30:35 AM

I really can't believe this is even being debated. I personally don't like the never take a running back in the first round debate. The greatest running backs to ever play the game were basically all taking in the first round. There is potential for any pick to bust in the first round and the chance gets even greater as the rounds go on. I wouldn't say taking a running back in the first round is stupid. We all know if we could go back we would switch the Carnell pick with Aaron Rodgers and the Gaines pick with Adrian Peterson (would that be stupid?). The whole entire draft is a risk. Carnell started his career off great in Tampa and I am sure every single one of us on these boards after his first year were real excited and happy he was our pick after the first year. Yes, there is depth at the running back position more then others in the draft but if you think you have an elite player at the RB position in the first round and its a need, you take it. You can find good players outside the first but its rare to find elite ones.

JavaRay

Hall of Famer

#41 : July 25, 2011, 02:31:43 AM

unless you're drafting a hall of famer or perrenial allstar,you're usually only gonna get 5-6 years of great production

You don't not pick Earl Campbell in the first round if he's there in the first round and you need a RB (unless you are fool).    To say you should never pick  a RB in the first round because it's stupid is just plain ignorant.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#42 : July 25, 2011, 02:32:55 AM

So if JDouble was in charge of the draft and Jim Brown, Walter Payton or Barry Sanders were on the board, he would recommend picking Gaines Adams in the first round since picking a RB is stupid.

Ok, we understand.

Dude do you have any examples from say the last decade?   Not everyone on here is your age.

JavaRay

Hall of Famer

#43 : July 25, 2011, 02:34:37 AM

That's your problem.   You only know what's happened in the past few years.   If you don't learn history, mistakes made in history are doomed to repeat themselves.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#44 : July 25, 2011, 02:35:30 AM

I really can't believe this is even being debated. I personally don't like the never take a running back in the first round debate. The greatest running backs to ever play the game were basically all taking in the first round. There is potential for any pick to bust in the first round and the chance gets even greater as the rounds go on. I wouldn't say taking a running back in the first round is stupid. We all know if we could go back we would switch the Carnell pick with Aaron Rodgers and the Gaines pick with Adrian Peterson (would that be stupid?). The whole entire draft is a risk. Carnell started his career off great in Tampa and I am sure every single one of us on these boards after his first year were real excited and happy he was our pick after the first year. Yes, there is depth at the running back position more then others in the draft but if you think you have an elite player at the RB position in the first round and its a need, you take it. You can find good players outside the first but its rare to find elite ones.

Well I guess it depends what you mean by elite?    I consider LeGarrettte and Mike Williams elite and we all know where they were drafted.........or undrafted.

Page: 1 2 3 4 5
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: What could have been « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools