Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: What could have been « previous next »
Page: 1 ... 3 4 5

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer
#60 : July 25, 2011, 09:33:24 AM

you made it sound as if neither of these teams had won a single playoff game with these 1st round RBs.  The Vikings went pretty far when they had decent QB play.  Who should the Vikings have drafted in 2007 instead of Peterson that would have made a bigger difference in their W/L record over the years?  I'm not really seeing anyone.  Maybe Reeves but I think it's more of a wash.

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer
#61 : July 25, 2011, 09:37:31 AM

name me one player in the 2008 draft that the Titans would have had more success with other than CJ.

MiltonMack21

User is on moderator watch listWatched
Hall of Famer

#62 : July 25, 2011, 09:44:01 AM

Carnell/Ronnie Brown ended the high first round pick on running back phenomenon. Adrian Peterson and Reggie Bush were the only one's since those 2 and Bush has been a disappointment. Williams was a wasted pick.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#63 : July 25, 2011, 09:48:30 AM

name me one player in the 2008 draft that the Titans would have had more success with other than CJ.

Well to be honest, I don't feel as strongly about not taking a RB once you get to the end of the first round. It begins to be worth the risk at that point imo. I'm more against taking a RB in the first 15-20 picks. It's just rarely worth it.  Once you get to the mid 20s, it's not such a big sacrifice as long as there is a guy there you feel has the potential to be really special.

Draft Aaron Donald

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer
#64 : July 25, 2011, 09:50:15 AM

not drafting RBs high is definitely the trend nowadays.  I acknowledge that.  still, talent is talent.  rather have a stud RB than a mediocre DE or whatever.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#65 : July 25, 2011, 09:54:52 AM

But think about how often teams find a stud running back in the 4th round or later compared to the amount of late round gems at CB or OT or QB. History shows you can find good or even great running backs fairly easy later in the draft. It just makes sense to get your franchise players that will be around for a decade or more in the first round. Especially if you're picking in the top 20.

Draft Aaron Donald

MUSCLE_HAMSTER

User is on moderator watch listWatched
Hall of Famer
#66 : July 25, 2011, 01:03:16 PM

I understand what JDub is saying. The draft is about value. You could get an Adrian Peterson type with a high pick, or you could get a guy like Blount without using a draft pick at all.

Still, I think if you believe a RB is gonna be great for years to come and he's the best player on your board, why not take him (if you can't trade down)

Page: 1 ... 3 4 5
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: What could have been « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools