Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: How Does "The Plan" Make Sense? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 ... 7

grefly

Starter

: July 27, 2011, 11:00:43 AM

Now, obviously, I don't know how Free Agency is going to work out for the Bucs, but it's looking more and more likely that they aren't going to land any top tier players. But they still have to reach the cap floor by season's end.

So, in order to do that, they are going to re-sign their own. That indicates to me that they will be OVER-PAYING for mid level talent in a lot of cases (not every case). Instead of getting top level talent for top level money, they will be getting mid-level talent for top level money. Poor plan, in my opinion.

jhop88

Hall of Famer

#1 : July 27, 2011, 11:06:25 AM

"The Plan" seems to be working in regards to drafting good players. But at some point, in order to get over the top so to speak, I think you have to add to your team through FA w/PROVEN PLAYERS. As someone mentioned in another thread, if this team is going to get to the salary cap floor simply by resigning the current players on the roster, there will be quite a few overpaid players on this team.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#2 : July 27, 2011, 11:10:56 AM

2010 draftees can be restructured in January of 2012 and it counts towards this seasons cap.

In other words, we can resign Grimm, Williams, Blount, and maybe Benn to long term contracts in January and it will still count towards our cap this year. There is also Freeman which is a huge contract, and a few other guys like Biggers, Lewis, Larsen, Zuttah, James Lee, Roy Miller, and possibly TJax depending on how this year goes. We can easily eat up the needed cap space by resigning our top young guys in January.

We don't have to sign a big name like most of us thought.

Draft Aaron Donald

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

#3 : July 27, 2011, 11:13:54 AM

2010 draftees can be restructured in January of 2012 and it counts towards this seasons cap.

In other words, we can resign Grimm, Williams, Blount, and maybe Benn to long term contracts in January and it will still count towards our cap this year. There is also Freeman which is a huge contract, and a few other guys like Biggers, Lewis, Larsen, Zuttah, James Lee, Roy Miller, and possibly TJax depending on how this year goes. We can easily eat up the needed cap space by resigning our top young guys in January.

What I think is interesting is that what if some of those players you listed dont show us to be worthy of a contract extension after this season. It could put the team in a difficult situation.

grefly

Starter

#4 : July 27, 2011, 11:15:05 AM

If I tell you that you HAVE to spend $10 (salary cap), and you HAVE to buy 10 things (number of players on the roster), are you going to spend $1 on a $.10 item just to reach to goal? Or will you buy a $.95 item for $1 to reach the goal?

Granted, some of this is just my frustration at the never-ending rumors that the Bucs are involved when really they aren't, but it seems logical to me...

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#5 : July 27, 2011, 11:18:54 AM

If I tell you that you HAVE to spend $10 (salary cap), and you HAVE to buy 10 things (number of players on the roster), are you going to spend $1 on a $.10 item just to reach to goal? Or will you buy a $.95 item for $1 to reach the goal?

Granted, some of this is just my frustration at the never-ending rumors that the Bucs are involved when really they aren't, but it seems logical to me...

So you are assuming our own players are only worth a penny while other team's players are worth a dollar. Perhaps you are wrong? It's Dom's job to decide these things. Either trust him or don't, but so far he has proven to be pretty good at his job.

Draft Aaron Donald

Dy-nasty D

Starter
#6 : July 27, 2011, 11:21:11 AM

The term "over-paying" is way overused.

In FA, assuming the player goes to the highest bidder, they all get "over-payed". Essentially, the player gets paid more than the medium value of his services.

So, if you want to sign anybody, you have to "over-pay".

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#7 : July 27, 2011, 11:21:30 AM

What I think is interesting is that what if some of those players you listed dont show us to be worthy of a contract extension after this season. It could put the team in a difficult situation.

Not really. If for some reason all our young players decided to suck this year and didn't deserve a long term deal, they will want to lock up Freeman long term no matter what. His contract is gonna be very large and they can front load it as much as the need to in order to get to the cap floor.

Draft Aaron Donald

BuccaneersMagic1282

Starter

#8 : July 27, 2011, 11:21:48 AM

I don't think the Bucs are that concerned with the salary floor. It isn't like the team faces some sort of massive penelty that sets the franchise back for not being at the floor.

grefly

Starter

#9 : July 27, 2011, 11:24:17 AM

So you are assuming our own players are only worth a penny while other team's players are worth a dollar. Perhaps you are wrong? It's Dom's job to decide these things. Either trust him or don't, but so far he has proven to be pretty good at his job.

I understand your point, but I was more speaking generally. I think that not being active in free agency in order to re-sign your own is a miscalculation when that thinking is applied to almost every situation. Extremes rarely make good guidelines.

BucNY

Hall of Famer

#10 : July 27, 2011, 11:24:24 AM

You are making a lot of assumptions in your OP. Most of which are untrue.

You should not be frustrated because the Bucs are doing exactly what they said they would be doing. We'll resign our player, probably front loaded, and add maybe 1 mid level guy to compete for a spot.

The plan doesn't make sense to you because you don't understand exactly what is happening. I myself am not even sure on what exactly the details are about this new salary cap.

I'll say what i've been saying. In a few years we're going to have to spend a lot of money to keep our young talent that we currently have. We should. The teams that spend the most money aren't the best teams. Aso was a questionable fit from day 1, IMO, and there is no way he's going to get 16 Million a year from us to play man coverage which we don't do all to often.

\\\\\\\"This forum needs a poster like BucNY now more than ever\\\\\\\"
      - Everyone

BucNY

Hall of Famer

#11 : July 27, 2011, 11:26:02 AM

I understand your point, but I was more speaking generally. I think that not being active in free agency in order to re-sign your own is a miscalculation when that thinking is applied to almost every situation. Extremes rarely make good guidelines.

It not extreme, it's conservative and a plan proven to work for us over the last few years. So in terms of not understanding, why would be change a plan when it's proven to work for us last year and the year before?

\\\\\\\"This forum needs a poster like BucNY now more than ever\\\\\\\"
      - Everyone

grefly

Starter

#12 : July 27, 2011, 11:26:38 AM

I don't think the Bucs are that concerned with the salary floor. It isn't like the team faces some sort of massive penelty that sets the franchise back for not being at the floor.

That scares me. I hadn't thought of that.

GuerillaInThaMist

Rookie

#13 : July 27, 2011, 11:26:54 AM

"The Plan" seems to be working in regards to drafting good players. But at some point, in order to get over the top so to speak, I think you have to add to your team through FA w/PROVEN PLAYERS. As someone mentioned in another thread, if this team is going to get to the salary cap floor simply by resigning the current players on the roster, there will be quite a few overpaid players on this team.

This is the truth.  If we add Aso, and Bush we would be legit 10+ team.  Lets be real, ATL, NO, and CAR all added talent.  I was fine with us not spending big money last year but this year is the year we can go deep in the playoffs with the right talent.  While I'm not a fan of Gruden/Allen they played out the FA signings perfectly when we made our SB run.....Dom has to do the same thing.  I'm all for building through the draft.....shoot, that is how Dungy built this team......But he never capitalized.......Raheem/Dom need to be aware of this....Be agressive in FA....Reggie Bush is a huge upgrade over Caddy.  Aso would help this team out tremendously and give us the best CB duo in the league.  Plus, our young D-line would improve drastically with a guy like Aso or even Jonathan Joseph.  I've been patient - we have serious talent on this team and we can contend this year but only if the right moves our made RIGHT NOW.  Make it happen.  All faith with Dom.

GITM approved.

bashear

Hall of Famer

#14 : July 27, 2011, 11:27:13 AM

Interesting blurb about the ability to restructure 2010 draftees in January. I didn't know that. I'm resigned to the idea that the Bucs will stick to their plan and maybe make make a splash or two, if that, in free agency. And by splash, I mean a small splash.
Page: 1 2 3 ... 7
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: How Does "The Plan" Make Sense? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools