Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: How Does "The Plan" Make Sense? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 7

Booker Reese

Hall of Famer
#30 : July 27, 2011, 01:00:32 PM

Let us also bear in min "the plan" is mostly a cover. We've now seen two years running the bucs going after high prfile/high dollar FA's so there's no "only our draftees" type plan out there. that's become a bit of a rationalization by Dom and some fans for activity bu it clearly isn't a actual mode of though.

I don't think that's right - the "plan" doesn't preclude outsiders, only the straw man version of that plan.

GodlyQB#5

Second String

#31 : July 27, 2011, 01:07:31 PM

Dominik seems to have a HUGE leash with people on here. I don't understand why though. He made a nice trade for Winslow, he listened to his scouts and took good players....but thats all...He has continually ignored the OL for 3 years now....Made horrible FA signings....and has not gone out and shown the fanbase that they are going to spend money on proven talent. If you think resigning our own players is such a huge priority...wait 2 years when it actually is....but the guys that are our FAs right now...wouldnt get CLOSE to what the Bucs are offering in FA. That is what is pissing me off....all of this talk about re-signing....name one guy on the Bucs that has been linked to talks with other teams? NOT ONE! Dominik is flinching hard at the thought teams want our garbage...and hes putting them right back into the mix to start. Our OL was better with Davin out, and Heyward/Watson did just as good of a job as Black did. So wasting time on these clowns when talent is out there is counter productive if you ask me.

SunnyD

Hall of Famer

#32 : July 27, 2011, 01:14:18 PM

You wanna know how a G.M. gets a long leash?

Because with that one single draft pick he did something no other GM in franchise history was able to do

GodlyQB#5

Second String

#33 : July 27, 2011, 01:16:05 PM

You wanna know how a G.M. gets a long leash?

Because with that one single draft pick he did something no other GM in franchise history was able to do

How much of that was actually Dominik's decision rather then having good insider info from Raheem Morris? That was Raheem's boy through out the whole process I thought.

BuccaneersMagic1282

Starter

#34 : July 27, 2011, 01:18:22 PM

Dominik seems to have a HUGE leash with people on here. I don't understand why though. He made a nice trade for Winslow, he listened to his scouts and took good players....but thats all...He has continually ignored the OL for 3 years now....Made horrible FA signings....and has not gone out and shown the fanbase that they are going to spend money on proven talent. If you think resigning our own players is such a huge priority...wait 2 years when it actually is....but the guys that are our FAs right now...wouldnt get CLOSE to what the Bucs are offering in FA. That is what is pissing me off....all of this talk about re-signing....name one guy on the Bucs that has been linked to talks with other teams? NOT ONE! Dominik is flinching hard at the thought teams want our garbage...and hes putting them right back into the mix to start. Our OL was better with Davin out, and Heyward/Watson did just as good of a job as Black did. So wasting time on these clowns when talent is out there is counter productive if you ask me.

lol, let me get this straight. He made a good trade, and made a bunch of good picks.....but that is all? He just listents to his scouts? Wouldn't he just be listening to his scouts to sign good FAs? Are we just not going to give Dominik any credit? lol

None of our FAs are worth big contracts but all these FAs you so desire are? lol Get real dude. Teams don't let key players walk away, so instead of overpaying for our "own trash" you just want us to sign other team's trash just so you can be excited about some new players.I bet you were one of the people cryingand whining last year when we didn't keep Antonio Bryant.

Booker Reese

Hall of Famer
#35 : July 27, 2011, 01:25:09 PM

Dominik did more than listen to the scouts - he overhauled the whole operation in which scouts were second class citizens. Give me a break.

Coburn1

Starter

#36 : July 27, 2011, 01:29:01 PM

I thought teams had to get to the floor by years end or pay out the difference to the players already on the roster?  I thought that was the penalty.  I guess it's not "massive", but they have to get there one way or the other.

If that is true, then my  OP still holds true. I see what some others think, don't overpay for a player just to reach to floor. Well, I agree with that. And that includes some of our own players. I say improve the team with quality FA in areas of need or lack of depth. Don't just make a blanket "we are re-signing our own" policy. You might pay a little extra for a player that really helps the team, instead of a lot extra for a player that doesn't help the team as much.

You are still making a lot of assumptions. I have almost no doubt there will be at least a handful of GMs who will choose to be at least a few mil under the 'floor'. Probably a few around 10 mil under. Many won't overpay to get to the floor and will sit nice and pretty, content with being under. Yes it's true you have to get there one way or another but there is a choice. Either overpay a few of your own or a FA and pay for it years down the road, also causing your own players in similar situations to feel entitled to the same, or give everyone another 200k for only one year and have that 10 mil next year and beyond to work with. One situation has backlash on the future, the other gives the bottom guys a nice bonus, doesn't impact the big salary guys, and doesn't impact the future cap or future salary negotiations. You're basically paying a bit of extra cash to everyone in exchanged for keeping future cap space. Not a bad tradeoff and I'm willing to bet that other GMs would think the same way as me. Don't be surprised when GMs don't fall all over themselves just to meet this 'floor'

GodlyQB#5

Second String

#37 : July 27, 2011, 01:33:02 PM

lol, let me get this straight. He made a good trade, and made a bunch of good picks.....but that is all? He just listents to his scouts? Wouldn't he just be listening to his scouts to sign good FAs? Are we just not going to give Dominik any credit? lol

None of our FAs are worth big contracts but all these FAs you so desire are? lol Get real dude. Teams don't let key players walk away, so instead of overpaying for our "own trash" you just want us to sign other team's trash just so you can be excited about some new players.I bet you were one of the people cryingand whining last year when we didn't keep Antonio Bryant.

I never wanted Antonio Bryant back to begin with. Thought he was a cancer to the team. All I am saying is stop worrying about the mediocre crap we have and go after better players in FA. Or is that too hard for him to do because the plan is very strict and doesn't allow for anyone else to get involved?

Here is a question that people don't want to think about....what if the plan doesn't work? what if we are in the same spot 5 years from now and the Bucs still refuse to sign a blue chip FA?

The most of the  frustration lies at the fact we have 59 million to work with...and it seems like we are just going to sit with that. I will give him until Friday...but I am feeling pretty skeptical about how things are going to go down. When we hear how Davin Joseph and Quincy Black are our major signings...then you will feel a bit of frustration given we could get a CB like Nnamdi or Joseph...or hell even Brent Grimes....

I am holding out for the best but expecting the worst.

smove28

Starter

#38 : July 27, 2011, 01:33:20 PM

By the way, I like what Dom is doing right now. Our biggest concern is signing Josh Freeman long term. That should be done immediately. As for free agents, I hate to tell my fellow Buc fans this but maybe they don't want to come here. I said this on this board last year, the lack of attendance is gonna bite us in the tail. FAs saw a young up and coming team last year w/no one in the stands. Yes, we have plenty of money to spend, but that doesn't mean that Tampa is a desired destination for FAs. Dom should go on signing our players that are here that we plan to keep and not let FAs (Nnamdi) use us as leverage for the team they REALLY want to go to. We need to just stand pat until we know who really wants to come here, and that is what it looks like Dom is doing to me. I like the strategy.

BuccaneersMagic1282

Starter

#39 : July 27, 2011, 01:43:06 PM

I never wanted Antonio Bryant back to begin with. Thought he was a cancer to the team. All I am saying is stop worrying about the mediocre crap we have and go after better players in FA. Or is that too hard for him to do because the plan is very strict and doesn't allow for anyone else to get involved?

Here is a question that people don't want to think about....what if the plan doesn't work? what if we are in the same spot 5 years from now and the Bucs still refuse to sign a blue chip FA?

The most of the  frustration lies at the fact we have 59 million to work with...and it seems like we are just going to sit with that. I will give him until Friday...but I am feeling pretty skeptical about how things are going to go down. When we hear how Davin Joseph and Quincy Black are our major signings...then you will feel a bit of frustration given we could get a CB like Nnamdi or Joseph...or hell even Brent Grimes....

What if signing these overrated FAs you want doesn't work? There is a better chance of that since history shows us that spending big in FA normally doesn't work.

I'm as pumped as can be. We have a talented young core that is getting better, we don't need to throw money at players their teams don't want to keep. I love seeing us get all of our picks signed and into camp while everyone else is running around like chickens with their head chopped off overpaying free agents.

Supreme

Starter

#40 : July 27, 2011, 01:45:49 PM

So far the plan has been working perfectly. Why stop now?
I'm sure you loved the Derrick ward signing and were bummed that we didn't get Haynesworth.

How do you know that Mark hasent been trying to sign other FA? When did he ever say that it was out of the question?

What happens when/if Mike Will, Blount, Benn, Briscoe, Grimm, tjax,  and Freeman need extensions?
You forget that we are so under the cap because Dom DRAFTS VERY WELL.

Dy-nasty D

Starter
#41 : July 27, 2011, 01:49:41 PM

The Bucs DL is still in its infancy and they aren't going to be a championship caliber team unitl they are above average. While the potential is in place, they are at least a season away from being good. IMO, Dominik doesn't want to spend big on FAs until the DL is fixed. And, who knows if the guys they've invested in on the DL will pan out. It looks like McCoy will be at least a good player and probably better. But, Price and the 2 DEs are huge question marks at this point. And, no matter how great our secondary could be, this defense isn't going to hum until the DL cranks it up. Instead of spending a huge amount of money on a FA CB, we might need the cap space in a couple of years to invest in an elite FA DE.

The sure thing at this point is Freeman. IMO, this year's FA signings will be more on the offensive side of the ball while extending Freeman's contract. Then they'll dedicate next year's draft to adding more defense and keeping cap space for unknown needs in the future to put them over the top when the time is right.

The blueprint is in place and it's not a blueprint to get us to the playoffs. It's a bluepring for a championship. Be patient.

Coburn1

Starter

#42 : July 27, 2011, 01:51:51 PM

Friday is just the beginning, anything right now is just theoretical signings and doesn't really mean anything. Why play your hand so early? The earlier you start your bid the more time the other guy has to raise the price. It's like showing your poker hand before the final round. Even with the 'agreed to terms' cases doesn't really mean anything. THere's still days for some team to decide that they really want that guy and they're going to give him another 2 mil a year and 5 mil more guaranteed. Is he going to sign the contract with the other team because he pinky sweared? It's like with Davin. Dom doesn't want to name a price so early because he doesn't want to set the value too early. It's better not to show yoru hand until it's time to play it. It may look flashy having the headline say you agreed with someone the first day of negotations but doesn't do you any good until it's the day to sign it.

BucNY

Hall of Famer

#43 : July 27, 2011, 02:03:31 PM

Listen very closely

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d82103813/article/gm-bucs-will-welcome-cb-talib-to-camp-await-legal-process?module=HP11_headline_stack

\\\\\\\"This forum needs a poster like BucNY now more than ever\\\\\\\"
      - Everyone

The Franchi5e

Pro Bowler

#44 : July 27, 2011, 02:11:31 PM

I love how were already talking about giving extensions to 5 different guys who were ROOKIES last year. Are you kidding me? That's the best excuse any of you could come up with? So the Wizards last year had the #1 pick and drafted John Wall. Say LeBron happened to be a free agent this summer instead of last summer, and the Wizards happen to have by far the most cap space in the league. You think that GM is saying "we can't afford to sign LeBron because we're going to have to sign John Wall and Javale McGee to extensions some time in the next few years"? No. And Nnamdi happens to be the LeBron of free agency this summer. I'd like you to try and name a better NFL free agent......ever. There hasn't been a guy in my recent memory who was top 2 in the world at his position in the prime of his career hit free agency. And we just happen to have way more money than anybody, and he plays a position of need. We probably won't ever, EVER get a chance to sign a guy this good at CB again.

But hey who cares, I'm worried we won't be able to sign our former 7th rounders and waiver wire pickups that had one good season instead.

Edit: After watching Rick Stroud's interview..........they're worried about signing EJ Biggers and Roy Miller to contract extensions this season?! Are you **CENSORED**ing kidding me? Both are/will be backups in this league. Dude's acting like we're going to have to pay them max money. We'll be able to afford both of them no matter what we do in free agency this summer. Frank Okam and Al Woods could do Roy Miller's job just as well, if not better....and that's without even counting Brian Price. And if we signed Nnamdi we would have him, Talib, Myron and Gaitor. I think we can afford to lose EJ and pick up another CB in the late rounds of the draft next season. I really can't believe I just heard what came out of Rick Stroud's mouth. If that's seriously what we're worried about and that's why we won't be spending any of this money then somebody for real needs to get their priorities straight.
: July 27, 2011, 02:24:00 PM ctrombetta
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 7
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: How Does "The Plan" Make Sense? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools