Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Michael Koenen signed a six-year, $19.5 million deal includes $6.5 million gtd. « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 ... 6

derekmitchellmay

Second String

: July 29, 2011, 09:02:47 AM

@AdamSchefter Check out these #'s: Tampa Bay gave former Falcons punter Michael Koenen a six-year, $19.5 million deal that includes $6.5 million gtd.

WOW

Captain Hindsight

Hall of Famer

#1 : July 29, 2011, 09:04:22 AM

Wow

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#2 : July 29, 2011, 09:06:18 AM

Eh. At least he's a pretty big upgrade from what we have. We're only talking $2 million or so per year over the average.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

1Va bucsfan

Hall of Famer
#3 : July 29, 2011, 09:06:43 AM

FML!

\\\"The guy who invented the first wheel was an idiot, the guy who invented the other three, he was a genius

Bucsfan4life323

Starter
#4 : July 29, 2011, 09:09:37 AM

6.5 Million guaranteed to a punter smh.

alldaway

Hall of Famer
#5 : July 29, 2011, 09:10:34 AM

Somebody stop this insanity now lol!  >:(

lemmer40

Second String

#6 : July 29, 2011, 09:13:43 AM

I'm not even going to comment on this.

My friend is listing to NFL Sirius radio right now and said they are busting on the Bucs pretty badly right now over this signing.  The Bucs are slowly becoming a laughing stock.  yeah!

BucD

Hall of Famer

#7 : July 29, 2011, 09:14:35 AM

First...learn how contracts work...second...this guy is one of the best, if not the best, punters in the league.  Here's a quote from the Falcons forum, after news that we signed Koenen, to put things in perspective on this guy....

In his career, he's put 150 punts inside the 20 and had only 32 TBs. In order fo your to undersand how amazing that ratio is, you will have to look at the ratio for other punters. It's like 3 to 1 for most punters, and I can't find one with a career ratio as good as Koenen's.

The Falcons have given up by FAR the fewest punt return yards in the NFL over the last 3 years, including setting the NFL record for fewest return yards in 2008.

Our ST punt game was a weak point on this team ALL season long and if you know anything about football you'd know how important field position is...

Cry me a **CENSORED**ing river.
: July 29, 2011, 09:16:24 AM MJay9000

lemmer40

Second String

#8 : July 29, 2011, 09:19:03 AM

First...learn how contracts work...second...this guy is one of the best, if not the best, punters in the league.  Here's a quote from the Falcons forum, after news that we signed Koenen, to put things in perspective on this guy....

In his career, he's put 150 punts inside the 20 and had only 32 TBs. In order fo your to undersand how amazing that ratio is, you will have to look at the ratio for other punters. It's like 3 to 1 for most punters, and I can't find one with a career ratio as good as Koenen's.

The Falcons have given up by FAR the fewest punt return yards in the NFL over the last 3 years, including setting the NFL record for fewest return yards in 2008.

Our ST punt game was a weak point on this team ALL season long and if you know anything about football you'd know how important field position is...

Yup, he is one of the best in the league:

From Rotoworld.com

New Bucs P Michael Koenen's six-year deal is worth $19.5 million, including $6.5 million guaranteed.
We don't normally do separate posts for contracts, but this is like spending a ninth-round fantasy pick on your kicker. It just doesn't make a lot of sense, especially when Koenen finished 28th in the league in net punting average last season.

alldaway

Hall of Famer
#9 : July 29, 2011, 09:19:39 AM

The way this contract works is like this:

1 Put Ski mask on
2. Profit $$$
3. Repeat Step 1

yuccaneers

Hall of Famer
#10 : July 29, 2011, 09:20:41 AM

Unless you now exactly how the contract is structured and how much money is actually tied to certain accomplishments these numbers mean nothing. The only thing that means anything is the guaranteed portion of these deals. Which in effect thus far have been reported as follows.

Joseph 19 million 7-years = 2.71 per year plus base salaries
Koenen 6.5 million 6-years = 1.08 million per year plus base salaries
Black 11.5  5 years = 2.3 million per year plus base salaries

Thus in guaranteed monies being paid out for the first five years of these three deals is roughly 6.09 million year which is peanuts. Then when you add in base salaries I'm hedging my money on Dominik and the structuring of these deals. I think so many who don't understand the inner workings of NFL contracts get over excited about total monies that are announced.

In Football, RESPECT is never given freely by your opponent. It must be TAKEN from them...VIOLENTLY

Great players cost a lot of money but help win games. High-priced players - a byproduct of poorly run front offices with bad scouting departments - only cost a lot of money.
"Our greatest glory consists not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."
Oliver Goldsmith

alldaway

Hall of Famer
#11 : July 29, 2011, 09:22:38 AM

Lack of guaranteed signing bonus money points to a problem with ownership lacking fluid capital.

BucD

Hall of Famer

#12 : July 29, 2011, 09:23:07 AM

Yup, he is one of the best in the league:

From Rotoworld.com

New Bucs P Michael Koenen's six-year deal is worth $19.5 million, including $6.5 million guaranteed.
We don't normally do separate posts for contracts, but this is like spending a ninth-round fantasy pick on your kicker. It just doesn't make a lot of sense, especially when Koenen finished 28th in the league in net punting average last season.

Had one down year...I guess he's alone there because no one ever has one of those...    ::)

BucD

Hall of Famer

#13 : July 29, 2011, 09:25:06 AM

Unless you now exactly how the contract is structured and how much money is actually tied to certain accomplishments these numbers mean nothing. The only thing that means anything is the guaranteed portion of these deals. Which in effect thus far have been reported as follows.

Thus in guaranteed monies being paid out for the first five years of these three deals is roughly 6.09 million year which is peanuts. Then when you add in base salaries I'm hedging my money on Dominik and the structuring of these deals. I think so many who don't understand the inner workings of NFL contracts get over excited about total monies that are announced.

Another rational and logical thinking person...this board does have a chance...

TheBucfather

Starter
#14 : July 29, 2011, 09:27:37 AM

Exactly!!

Most people on this board are just taking the total value of the contact and dividing it by the # of years....which is WRONG!!!  Most contracts are backloaded with unlikely to be earned incentives, bonuses, etc.  All you can do without seeing the details of the contact is look at the guaranteed money, which in all three of these signings seems pretty fair.
Page: 1 2 3 ... 6
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Michael Koenen signed a six-year, $19.5 million deal includes $6.5 million gtd. « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools