Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Free Agent Bargains Left (In areas of need) « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

Wooderson

Practice Squad

: July 30, 2011, 10:37:13 AM

It is clear we wil not be breaking the bank this year. I still believe we have the potential to sign some vets that stick around in free agency long enough for us that their price goes down. Given the current free agency landscape, here is my input as to how we upgrade our roster at a discount:

SS - Donte Whitner

We currently have Sean Jones here, so this move would not inhibit any youth on our roster from blossoming (outside if Ahmad Black, I suppose). Whitner is a big hitter in the way Jermaine Phillips was and is at least as good in coverage as Jones, though it may not be his forte. If he sticks around long enough, I feel like this is could be a good fit for the right price.

OLB - Ernie Sims

I am not the first one to suggest this here but he did not work out in Philly and could be had for cheap. He is an upgrade over Hayes for sure and still blazing fast. I know we drafted Foster but it sounds as though he will work primarily at the Mike. He always put up good tackle numbers in Detroit, and if he is cheap it's worth a look.

Agree/Disagree/Opinions?

Anyone else have Thoughts on bargains we may find in free agency?

BTownBucFan

Hall of Famer
#1 : July 30, 2011, 10:39:54 AM

I don't really see Safety as a need.

Ernie Sims = Geno Hayes - undersized, fast, always out of position.

No thanks to either.

BucsWin31

Starter

#2 : July 30, 2011, 10:40:14 AM

I'd take both

MagicMike

Starter
#3 : July 30, 2011, 10:41:07 AM

I would like to see the Bucs sign CB Richard Marshall, MLB Zach Diles, and RB Joseph Addai. 

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#4 : July 30, 2011, 10:45:07 AM

I would like to see the Bucs sign CB Richard Marshall, MLB Zach Diles, and RB Joseph Addai.

That's a good list of people who could help.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.
If you think Manziel is the best QB in this draft I can safely assume you are an idiot and will treat you as such.

SWAGGARRR

Hall of Famer

#5 : July 30, 2011, 10:46:55 AM

Ernie Sims, Antonio Cromartie, Ronnie Brown Edit: or Jason Snelling (Forgot about him)...
: July 30, 2011, 10:57:32 AM Bucweiser

SWAGGARRR

Hall of Famer

#6 : July 30, 2011, 10:53:42 AM

Richard Marshall on his way to AZ...

http://rotoworld.com/player/nfl/3703/richard-marshall

No official word yet, but it sounds like Marshall is going to help fill the void left by Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie. Marshall was beaten like a drum in Carolina, but has enough talent to at least be a third corner. He's started 32 games for the Panthers over the last two years, recording seven picks.

Again, we have plenty of 3rd CB's... Bucs need a 2nd...

1Va bucsfan

Hall of Famer
#7 : July 30, 2011, 10:55:37 AM

RB Tim Hightower(If he becomes available,currently not signing his tender wants out of AZ)
RB Jerome Harrison
FB/RB Leron McClain
RB Jason Snelling
RB Kevin Smith
CB Richard Marshall
CB Chris Houston
CB  Fabian Washington
LB Zach Diles
LB Brandon Siler
DE Mark Anderson
DE Antwon Odom
DE Derrick Harvey(Only 24 would like to se e what Millard and Stretz could do with him)
: July 30, 2011, 10:57:47 AM 1VA BUCSFAN

\\\"The guy who invented the first wheel was an idiot, the guy who invented the other three, he was a genius

Wooderson

Practice Squad

#8 : July 30, 2011, 10:56:37 AM

I disagree safety is not a need. Jackson can not be counted on. Jones is a stop gap and I am not sold on Grimm. He played well last year considering but I feel he could be exploited this year. Whitner is an upgrade over Jones to me and could help if he is cheap.

As for Sims, he may be no better than Hayes in the end but I would like to see someone challenge for the WILL. Hayes could use competition and again, if its cheap who cares? We wouldn't be breaking the bank.

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer
#9 : July 30, 2011, 10:58:48 AM

I don't really see Safety as a need.

Ernie Sims = Geno Hayes - undersized, fast, always out of position.

No thanks to either.
did-o

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

#10 : July 30, 2011, 11:01:46 AM

I disagree safety is not a need. Jackson can not be counted on. Jones is a stop gap and I am not sold on Grimm. He played well last year considering but I feel he could be exploited this year. Whitner is an upgrade over Jones to me and could help if he is cheap.

As for Sims, he may be no better than Hayes in the end but I would like to see someone challenge for the WILL. Hayes could use competition and again, if its cheap who cares? We wouldn't be breaking the bank.

Nicely argued. I just dont think we go for any Safety after we drafted Black and what Grimm showed us last season. Jackson might be back soon. Jones actually played really well last year. Lynch stepped up for when Grimm left out pretty well. As did another player... Cant remember his name right now. You could really argue that the Safety group we have is unproven and I wouldnt argue that one bit. I just dont think we go after any safeties via free agency.

threadkiller

Pro Bowler

#11 : July 30, 2011, 11:16:35 AM

RB Tim Hightower(If he becomes available,currently not signing his tender wants out of AZ)
RB Jerome Harrison
FB/RB Leron McClain
RB Jason Snelling
RB Kevin Smith
CB Richard Marshall
CB Chris Houston
CB  Fabian Washington
LB Zach Diles
LB Brandon Siler
DE Mark Anderson
DE Antwon Odom
DE Derrick Harvey(Only 24 would like to se e what Millard and Stretz could do with him)

I like this list. Would add James Jones wr from GB.  Also Derrick Mason could be a great guy to have on the roster for a year or two.  Show the young guys what it means to be a pro and provide nice production on the field at the same time.  Free agent talk is starting to feel like an exercise in futility though tbh. 

Naismith

Hall of Famer
#12 : July 30, 2011, 11:21:08 AM

If Hightower somehow becomes a free agent and his salary demands aren't real big, I'd love for the Bucs to sign him. He's young, a very good receiver, runs hard, blocks well and has a tremendous head of hair.

Also, I read somewhere, maybe on here, that Harvey showed up in terrible shape and that was the final straw for the Jags. I think that sort of thing might be the light bulb for some guys where they realize they need to get their act together or risk losing their career, but with the Bucs d-line being all young guys, I wouldn't risk having a guy like that around.
: July 30, 2011, 11:23:06 AM Naismith

There\'s a very real chance the Bucs waive [Revis] before next season. At the very least, it will be a discussion worth having.

Borat!

Starter

#13 : July 30, 2011, 11:22:50 AM

Dont think safety is a need because we do have lots of young talent, but I wouldnt be agaist signing Whitner or Huff. More so on Huff because hes a free safety and Asante, Jones, Grimm are all more strong safeties. Sims wouldnt be bad either, if for nothing more than competition

\\\\\\\"...even if we win the SB not getting a few FAS with so many available was being pig headed and fanatical.\\\\\\\" - 4bucs

CTBuc

Second String

#14 : July 30, 2011, 11:24:43 AM

I honestly love our current roster, I would like to see Jason Snelling or Brandon Jackson brought in.  I back that can catch the ball out of the backfield.  I would like to see Jamaal Anderson brought in.  hear me out on this one.   Yes hes underperformed dramatically.  However, hes young.  And he can bring a lot of depth as he played both end and tackle last season over in ATL.  I could see if brought in raheem try to stand him up at times like he did Stylez.  Yes stylez was unsuccessful but he didnt have the speed or quickness that Anderson has.  He also may have a chip on his shoulder for those ATL games.

Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Free Agent Bargains Left (In areas of need) « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools