Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Fans fantasized about how the Bucs would monopolize free agency. « previous next »
Page: 1 2

player101

Starter
#15 : July 31, 2011, 11:39:57 AM

Except for the fact that numbers say that only Freeman and Williams will be earning those next contracts. The fans have to understand that this is not about the Bucs, the money made here goes to pay off the other debt and buy players for the team the Bucs ownership likes and cares about. Don't believe for a second that ANY OF THE MONEY saved this year will EVER be re-invested in the team. It is a cash grab for Man U PERIOD!

I really do not think it is for ManU. IMO, the Glazers see the buccaneers as a money making business and will operate in a manner to produce the absolute highest profits. At this time, the Glazers see the NFL landscape and have chosen the current path, which is spend as little as possible while still trying to field a somewhat competitive team. I think Dom/Morris (and Freeman), despite the Glazers lack of spending, have made this approach somewhat successful. Though it is difficult to say whether this approach is going to work over the long haul., we could have made some BIG upgrades in this offseason which would have little or no effect on future monies. This was a missed opportunity and overall hurts the talent level on this team, this year, next year, and for years to come.
: July 31, 2011, 11:45:25 AM player101

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------\"The facts are disputable\"

cyberdude558

Hall of Famer

#16 : July 31, 2011, 11:44:36 AM

And what happens if Mike Williams or Blount have bad years? Then what do we do?

Sophomore slumps are not uncommon in the NFL.

anterrabae33

Hall of Famer

#17 : July 31, 2011, 11:50:01 AM

If our top WR and starting RB have bad seasons, I don't think anything would help us. We would have no offense.

Bschucher

Hall of Famer
#18 : July 31, 2011, 11:54:50 AM

If our top WR and starting RB have bad seasons, I don't think anything would help us. We would have no offense.

Dont think it would be that different for MOST teams in the NFL.

VinBucFan

Hall of Famer
#19 : July 31, 2011, 11:55:23 AM

Except for the fact that numbers say that only Freeman and Williams will be earning those next contracts. The fans have to understand that this is not about the Bucs, the money made here goes to pay off the other debt and buy players for the team the Bucs ownership likes and cares about. Don't believe for a second that ANY OF THE MONEY saved this year will EVER be re-invested in the team. It is a cash grab for Man U PERIOD!

This conspiracy stuff still floats around on the Red board?  Hmmmm

Bschucher

Hall of Famer
#20 : July 31, 2011, 11:55:31 AM

Actually... with Freeman at QB i think we might always have a chance..

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#21 : July 31, 2011, 12:08:11 PM

Actually... with Freeman at QB i think we might always have a chance..
I agree.  The defense can be a sieve though...and there really hasn't been any proven players to come in and dam the run game against us, and if Talib goes to jail or is suspended we are going to get gouged again.  We aren't playing teh same teams this year (even the Lions look quite tough, and with Stafford...oh boy)...it is all a big gamble.  Again.  If the BUcs flame out, they will have to look back at free agency, and Dom will have to rethink his approach to free agency...which to date has been "meh", aside from K2.  G'teed monies and large signing bonuses are an issue, IMO.

Madman

Hall of Famer

#22 : July 31, 2011, 01:11:11 PM

Dom, glad you're thinking about the long-term but let's get real. You're 56M under the cap. The lowest cap figure of any team by 15M. Pretty sure you'll have enough $$ to sign key players such as Mike Williams when his contract is up in a few years.

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#23 : July 31, 2011, 02:28:46 PM

Yet which team won 27 World Series titles? What's their payroll?

The Yankees won 20 titles in 40 years before Free Agency began.  They've won 7 titles in the 35 years since Free Agency was instituted.

Uncle Stan

Hall of Famer
#24 : July 31, 2011, 02:33:30 PM

Anyone comparing the price of players this year VS 2 year ago? If you haven't noticed they have gone up.

In 2 years they will have gone up more.

Can't compare this years salaries/contracts to 2013.

Learn to disagree without being disagreeable-Ronald Reagan circa 1981

cyberdude558

Hall of Famer

#25 : July 31, 2011, 02:35:15 PM

Mike Williams contract is not up till 2014.

So are we going to stay $60 million under the cap until 2014? All for 1 or 2 players? That's stupid.

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#26 : July 31, 2011, 03:16:34 PM

Simple. You cut the free agents you sign this year in 2014 when you need their money to pay your younger players. That's what the rest of the NFL does.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#27 : July 31, 2011, 04:36:16 PM

Mike Williams contract is not up till 2014.

So are we going to stay $60 million under the cap until 2014? All for 1 or 2 players? That's stupid.

It's not about when their contracts are up.  Dom can resign the guys after 2 years, regardless on the contract length. Say for example. Mike has another awesome year, Dom could go ahead and re-do him if he wanted.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

Madman

Hall of Famer

#28 : July 31, 2011, 05:48:24 PM

I'd say most fans expected the Bucs to participate in free agency not monopolize it.

Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Fans fantasized about how the Bucs would monopolize free agency. « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools