Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Mark Dominik: Not signing unrestricted free agents is about budgeting right « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 ... 12

NYC Bucs Fan

Starter

: August 02, 2011, 01:06:04 PM

http://www.bucsnation.com/2011/8/2/2309972/mark-dominik-not-signing-unrestricted-free-agents-is-about-budgeting#storyjump

Interesting read here, makes good points for and against Dominik's free agent policy.

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#1 : August 02, 2011, 01:16:10 PM

The bottom line is the Bucs dished out $20 million in 2011 salaries for players who were not already under contract. It's more than fair to question whether they got as good as value as they could have with that $20 million.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

hsmith

Second String

#2 : August 02, 2011, 01:17:48 PM

Policy is a joke. This franchise hands out monster contracts to their own free agents that garner zero interest on the open market. Plenty of young free agents that can help this football team.

NotDeadYet

Hall of Famer

#3 : August 02, 2011, 01:34:27 PM

I wouldn't call any of the contracts we've done this year 'monster'. Maybe a bit more than their current level of play, but not 'monster'. Essentially we KNOW our own players and have a better idea how they'll grow and improve over the next few years than we do for FA's. Yeah, the big name FA's are better NOW, but they may be maxed out, then want even MORE $$$ down the road. With Koenen, we got arguably the best punter in the NFL, and his KO's ain't too shabby either. This will certainly help the defense. With so many talented young guys already on our roster, we'll be fine for years to come.

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

#4 : August 02, 2011, 01:44:01 PM

Now, what would life be like with Aso, Talib, TJax covering and Kon kicking/punting the opposition into the five? Nightmare city for any QB imo.

I think the punter signing was a good pickup, but there was a missed opportunity when they didn't reach out for Aso or JJ.

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#5 : August 02, 2011, 01:45:41 PM

I wouldn't call any of the contracts we've done this year 'monster'. Maybe a bit more than their current level of play, but not 'monster'. Essentially we KNOW our own players and have a better idea how they'll grow and improve over the next few years than we do for FA's. Yeah, the big name FA's are better NOW, but they may be maxed out, then want even MORE $$$ down the road. With Koenen, we got arguably the best punter in the NFL, and his KO's ain't too shabby either. This will certainly help the defense. With so many talented young guys already on our roster, we'll be fine for years to come.
Joseph signed the second richest deal for a guard, ever.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#6 : August 02, 2011, 02:07:34 PM

Likewise, Black is now making $1 million per season less than Lance Briggs.

tatmanfish

Hall of Famer

#7 : August 02, 2011, 02:18:24 PM

I dont question the resigings at all, other than the price. Yes they are high, but we dont know what interest any teams had or what they offered. There were better values out there, but the only one I thought would be a lock for upgrade was the O-line. I wanted Joseph back and True for depth, but expected some sort of upgrade at RT or LG....or at least bring some new blood in.

As bad as Ruud played against the run the last few years, Id rather have his 1 year 4mil contract than I would Blacks. The first wave of FA teams almost always overpay, I just dont see why they didnt bring in any new talent with some of that money. I do get they need to eat up some cap, even in the long term(so they can reasonably reach the floor in a year or two), but it seems like there were smarter ways to spend some of the money they gave Black and Jospeh. I honestly am not that shocked by Josephs contract as I figured he would get close to top 5 $$$ with FA starting late and him being labeled as one of the top Gs available. I just didnt think it would be top 3.

I can justify the resignings rather easily, but i cant easily justify the money spent, even if I can rationalize as to why it was so high.

Quote from: Illuminator
You were simply too smart for me.

DailyRich

Pro Bowler

#8 : August 02, 2011, 02:34:20 PM

If this was a normal free agency period, one that started back in February, one that had a full slate of OTAs and off-season programs, then I'd wonder why we weren't spending.  But we're cramming free agency into the start of training camp, and I'd be a little leery of spending big money to bring in guys we'd have a few weeks to get into our system.  Especially when we've lost so much time training our rookies.

cyberdude558

Hall of Famer

#9 : August 02, 2011, 03:07:21 PM

Maybe Raheem and Dominik are horrible salesmen and can't attract any outside FAs to play here. So they end up overspending to keep what they have.

Just a theory...

Zsnore

User is on moderator watch listWatched
Pro Bowler
#10 : August 02, 2011, 03:21:31 PM

Maybe we can sit around with thumbs in our asses, and speculate forever on what the coaches and FO's are doing. Maybe we can whine and gripe about not having that shiny new CB, or OL, forever. Lets not appreciate the things we can CLEARLY see going right, no, lets just HATE on the things we "perceived" as being wrong. Lets project what some of you consider as "losing in the offseason" and I am paraphrasing, as losing in the real season. OH WAIT, we haven't played the season yet. Lets not do ANY of that, lets stfu and wait for games to be played. my honest opinion

This is what I think about the Glazers being cheap...

smove28

Starter

#11 : August 02, 2011, 03:23:04 PM

Mark this post. I have a feeling in 2yrs Blacks contract will look like a bargain.

We are not in practice or in the film room with these guys. We are being smart and signing guys early. Black started one season. Sign him now and let him blossom.

1sparkybuc

Hall of Famer
#12 : August 02, 2011, 03:31:38 PM

We set team and individual records with the youngest roster in the league last year. A lot of guys got game experience that normally wouldn't. It appears that the Bucs are confident in the players we have and any FA signings will be to fill holes left by injured or suspended players. I'm OK with what they have done over the last two and a half years. Raheem's team sure shocked the "experts" last year. I'm confident they will continue to do that this season.

Zsnore

User is on moderator watch listWatched
Pro Bowler
#13 : August 02, 2011, 03:37:27 PM

We set team and individual records with the youngest roster in the league last year. A lot of guys got game experience that normally wouldn't. It appears that the Bucs are confident in the players we have and any FA signings will be to fill holes left by injured or suspended players. I'm OK with what they have done over the last two and a half years. Raheem's team sure shocked the "experts" last year. I'm confident they will continue to do that this season.

That's not enough for these TARDS. Words, facts, on the field production, doesn't cut it for the simpletons. I know I ask'd everyone to stfu and wait for the season, I doubt they will.

This is what I think about the Glazers being cheap...

BucNY

Hall of Famer

#14 : August 02, 2011, 03:45:09 PM

Likewise, Black is now making $1 million per season less than Lance Briggs.

Dom knows his players and we would not have given these guys more money than we thought they were worth, period. Regardless of what people think both Black and Joseph are quality players and the Bucs value highly. I liked both signings and I didn't have a problem with how much money we gave them.

\\\\\\\"This forum needs a poster like BucNY now more than ever\\\\\\\"
      - Everyone
Page: 1 2 3 ... 12
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Mark Dominik: Not signing unrestricted free agents is about budgeting right « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools