Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Mark Dominik: Not signing unrestricted free agents is about budgeting right « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 12

jerseybucsfan

Hall of Famer
#15 : August 02, 2011, 04:24:47 PM

Zsnore, ease off on the insults. Will Biggers OR Lewis ever reach the level Asomugha is at now? How about the level Asomugha will be at in three years? Let's hope so, but probably not. But this is more than that. By overpaying for average players, you make it TOUGHER to keep your own stars later.
Dom traded away our fourth next year to draft a backup tight end. We have holes at C, OT, OG, backup RB, backup DE, CB, maybe LB and S. He won't be able to fill all those holes in one year via the draft. And we'll be waiting a couple more years for those guys to mature. By 2015, KW2 won't be an elite TE anymore.
With this approach, we may never have all the pieces in place at once or at best it will be a lot shorter window than it could be.

In Verner We Trust

DailyRich

Pro Bowler

#16 : August 02, 2011, 04:27:32 PM

Maybe free agents don't want to come to a town where fans are talking about boycotting a team that went 10-6 last year.

Zsnore

User is on moderator watch listWatched
Pro Bowler
#17 : August 02, 2011, 04:33:19 PM

Zsnore, ease off on the insults. Will Biggers OR Lewis ever reach the level Asomugha is at now? How about the level Asomugha will be at in three years? Let's hope so, but probably not. But this is more than that. By overpaying for average players, you make it TOUGHER to keep your own stars later.
Dom traded away our fourth next year to draft a backup tight end. We have holes at C, OT, OG, backup RB, backup DE, CB, maybe LB and S. He won't be able to fill all those holes in one year via the draft. And we'll be waiting a couple more years for those guys to mature. By 2015, KW2 won't be an elite TE anymore.
With this approach, we may never have all the pieces in place at once or at best it will be a lot shorter window than it could be.

See, this is what I call speculation. You don't know if we have a hole at DE yet, you haven't seen the new guys play. You suggest we have issues at CB, but we ranked 7th in the league last year with a YOUNG group, that should only get better. You assume that cause you've seen Trueblood get blown up a few times, that hes garbage. All I do is keep reminding people that we had the 8th strongest rushing attack that got better at the end, and the passing attack while only being 17th raised substantially at the end of the season.

So yeah, lets be really stupid, go out and OVER more so then we did, to fill these "holes" your talking about on C, OG, RB, DE, CD, LE, S... Lets bring in ALL these guys in a shortened offeason, because their the big names "proven vets" You don't see how narrow this outlook is? If you don't then simply put, ur a simpleton.

This is what I think about the Glazers being cheap...

Zsnore

Pro Bowler
#18 : August 02, 2011, 04:36:38 PM

Its **CENSORED**ing ludicrous that you guys are willing to trade long term success for short term success.

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#19 : August 02, 2011, 04:43:16 PM

I wish Malcolm Glazer was in charge.

FinkleisEinhorn

Second String

#20 : August 02, 2011, 04:46:32 PM

See, this is what I call speculation. You don't know if we have a hole at DE yet, you haven't seen the new guys play. You suggest we have issues at CB, but we ranked 7th in the league last year with a YOUNG group, that should only get better. You assume that cause you've seen Trueblood get blown up a few times, that hes garbage. All I do is keep reminding people that we had the 8th strongest rushing attack that got better at the end, and the passing attack while only being 17th raised substantially at the end of the season.

So yeah, lets be really stupid, go out and OVER more so then we did, to fill these "holes" your talking about on C, OG, RB, DE, CD, LE, S... Lets bring in ALL these guys in a shortened offeason, because their the big names "proven vets" You don't see how narrow this outlook is? If you don't then simply put, ur a simpleton.

Do you have to be a self-righteous prick in every post you make? 

Well, if we do have a hole at DE it sure would be nice to have a back-up plan.  Also, I'm not sure you're aware, but injuries happen quite frequently in this sport.  Quality depth is not a bad thing.

Do you think that might have something to do with the fact other teams could run all over us, thus negating huge passing stats?

A few times?  Really?  Try years and years of Trueblood's piss poor play.

Better at the end?  You mean when Trueblood was not playing?

Show me one post where anyone has asked we bring in "all these guys".

For being such a know-it-all, you really don't seem to know much at all.

LVBUC2

Pro Bowler

#21 : August 02, 2011, 04:46:48 PM

For you who are defending the lack of FA signing,  there are FA out there that would be an upgrade over who we currently have.  So who cares if we over pay a little this year, the Bucs are so far below the cap it dosen't matter.  It's not like we can take it with us.  I don't know about you, but the Bucs didn't give me any type of refund because they had the lowest payroll last year.  I bet there is no refund this year.  It's plain and simple the owners are CHEAP!!!!!!!

ryan24

Hall of Famer

#22 : August 02, 2011, 04:49:06 PM

jerseybucsfan is a poster who tends to put a lot of thought into his posts and this was no exception. I don't think he implied that they should fill in every position of need with a FA. What a FA who's young enough might do is give the Bucs the opportunity to draft for one of the other positions in the next draft and upgrade the current roster. Having a young roster is good to a point. The problem is that young does not necessarily equal good. It equals could be good eventually. In 1996 the Bucs drafted two DEs in the first round. Paired them with Sapp...hallelujah...instant pass rush and Super Bowl....right? Well...no....the Bucs didn't get to Super Bowl level until Simeon Rice and Greg Spires were on the roster. The Bucs probably waited too long in the 90's to make their move as far as FAs are concerned. While some of the circumstances are not the same, I can also see where some fans are a bit frustrated with the inactivity coupled with giving deals to players who I'm not sure are deserving of them. Dominik also gave a big deal to Michael Clayton and did the same with Derrick Ward. So I'm not sure the "don't worry Dom knows all" mantra should appease everyone.

Happy and Peppy and Bursting with love.

Zsnore

Pro Bowler
#23 : August 02, 2011, 04:59:15 PM

jerseybucsfan is a poster who tends to put a lot of thought into his posts and this was no exception. I don't think he implied that they should fill in every position of need with a FA. What a FA who's young enough might do is give the Bucs the opportunity to draft for one of the other positions in the next draft and upgrade the current roster. Having a young roster is good to a point. The problem is that young does not necessarily equal good. It equals could be good eventually. In 1996 the Bucs drafted two DEs in the first round. Paired them with Sapp...hallelujah...instant pass rush and Super Bowl....right? Well...no....the Bucs didn't get to Super Bowl level until Simeon Rice and Greg Spires were on the roster. The Bucs probably waited too long in the 90's to make their move as far as FAs are concerned. While some of the circumstances are not the same, I can also see where some fans are a bit frustrated with the inactivity coupled with giving deals to players who I'm not sure are deserving of them. Dominik also gave a big deal to Michael Clayton and did the same with Derrick Ward. So I'm not sure the "don't worry Dom knows all" mantra should appease everyone.

Genius dude, real genius. You JUST made my point for me, they DRAFTED got the core they needed and  was GOOD for a very long time. 80% of the roster isn't even into there second contract yet. How does bringing in a 30 year old CB, that doesn't work in the system or a OL that won't have the benefit of the offseason schedule improve this team for the future? Draft Stud, After Draft Stud, and all everyone talks about is the big FA. Its weak, it takes away from the accomplishment of last year and the excitement of this season. Its Trash Talk, and if I have to be the self righteous one, I will be.

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#24 : August 02, 2011, 05:02:35 PM

Its **CENSORED**ing ludicrous that you guys are willing to trade long term success for short term success.
Davin Joseph and Quincy Black are the same ages of all these free agents, yet we just handed them over $80 million in total contracts. With a $120 million salary cap, you have enough money to pay guys now and later.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#25 : August 02, 2011, 05:04:10 PM

I don't recall Woodson being a spring chicken when TT signed him for the Packers.  I believe he was 28 at the time?

DefenseWins

Hall of Famer

#26 : August 02, 2011, 05:07:10 PM

http://www.pewterreport.com/Boards/index.php/topic,1282650.0.html

Had to do it. Just was typing on this topic here y-day...

It is a new day in TAMPA BAY!    GO BUCS!!

Zsnore

Pro Bowler
#27 : August 02, 2011, 05:07:46 PM

Davin Joseph and Quincy Black are the same ages of all these free agents, yet we just handed them over $80 million in total contracts. With a $120 million salary cap, you have enough money to pay guys now and later.

Quincy Black had little to do with 28th rush defense(by far the worst stat for out D). There are statistic to show that was productive for us last year, for what we wanted him to do.. Davin Joseph was apart of the 8th rushing attack. Wheres your argument? oh yeah, there is no argument.

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#28 : August 02, 2011, 05:13:41 PM

Joseph had very little to do with the final rushing attack, with Blount.  Are you sure we were watching the same games last year?

Black I felt had a decent year last year, and was underused in m2m coverage, especially blanketing Gonzo for example, but he wasn't gap sound.  This led to a lot of big runs on the strongside of the formation whether it was in an under, or over front.  But in his defense, Kyle Moore was stinking it up on that side, so Black did his best.  And then, Bennett was given some playing time, and he was worse in his gap discipline than Moore.  Despite the lackluster play at LE that is no excuse for Black to not fill his one gap.

Zsnore

Pro Bowler
#29 : August 02, 2011, 05:18:55 PM

I'm just getting tired of all the negativity. You would think we were the worst team in the league last year. I have a 10yo, that reads these forums. He keeps asking me why the Bucs are gonna suck this year. I'm gonna wait until hes 12 to explain "Buc fans" to him.

Who was blocking against Arizona when LG ran for 120?
: August 02, 2011, 05:21:26 PM Zsnore

Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 12
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Mark Dominik: Not signing unrestricted free agents is about budgeting right « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools