Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Merril Hoge says Tim Tebow just can’t play « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

Beatles123

Hall of Famer

« : August 03, 2011, 01:39:14 PM »

From ProFootballTalk.com:

__

Posted by Michael David Smith on August 3, 2011, 8:47 AM EDT

Former Steelers and Bears fullback Merril Hoge watches a lot of all-22 game film in his role as an analyst on ESPN’s NFL Matchup, and after watching film of the Denver Broncos from last season, Hoge says he knows who their starting quarterback should be: Kyle Orton.

In fact, in a series of posts on Twitter this morning, Hoge said the idea that Tim Tebow should be a starter is absurd.

“Sitting watching tape of Bronco offense from last year!” Hoge wrote. “Orton or Tebow? It’s embarrassing to think the Broncos could win with Tebow!!”

Hoge’s tweets (which I’ve lightly edited for clarity) mocked the idea that just because Tebow was a Heisman Trophy-winning college star, that means he can hack it in the NFL.

“Orton or Tebow? QB play is not just about who works hard gives rah-rah college speeches or who is a good guy,” Hoge wrote. “Because Orton works hard and is a good guy as well. It’s about who can play!!”

When Tebow was a star at Florida, he was a great fit for the Gators’ spread offense, but he wasn’t asked to do the things an NFL quarterback does, and his throwing motion looked awkward. Hoge says that Tebow’s throwing motion hasn’t improved and his accuracy is a mess.

“I just watched Tebow throw five out routes to a wide open wide receiver,” Hoge wrote. “He was 1-for-5! Two went in dirt two in the stands! That throwing motion he changed? You can’t change who you are! Just watched two throws and he throws like he did in college!! College credentials do not transfer to NFL, rah-rah speeches do not work! You must possess a skill set to play! Tebow struggles with accuracy!”

In other words, Hoge thinks the Broncos will be much better off when “the Tebow thing” is behind them, and Orton is declared their starter.

__

Java is pissed.

This space for rent....*sigh* I trusted you coach.

Bucman

Hall of Famer
« #1 : August 03, 2011, 01:41:01 PM »

Tebow has the work ethic to be a good NFL QB. Accuracy can be fixed.

SunnyD

Hall of Famer

« #2 : August 03, 2011, 01:42:01 PM »

He will be a niche gadget player.

Captain Hindsight

Hall of Famer

« #3 : August 03, 2011, 01:43:26 PM »

I dislike Tim Tebow, but Merril Hoge needs to stfu and go back to defending his rapist BFF, Roethlisberger. He's the worst.

Beatles123

Hall of Famer

« #4 : August 03, 2011, 01:44:43 PM »

"TEBOW IS THE FUTURE!"...And then Andrew Luck is drafted. Game over.

This space for rent....*sigh* I trusted you coach.

blind melon

Hall of Famer

« #5 : August 03, 2011, 01:51:59 PM »

Hoge is the worst analyst out there....   or at least damn close to it.

(and that doesn't mean I like Tebow either...)

Who knew how good it would feel as a fan when we now know what it\'s like for our team to have a direction, an attitude, and dare I say an offense?.  

Good time to be a Bucs fan.

britbuc14

Starter

« #6 : August 03, 2011, 01:59:39 PM »

I'll admit i liked tebow when he was a Gator....

the thought that he is NFL starter material is laughable for the moment.

Due to the Head Coaching circumstances, the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned back on. We appreciate your patience.

bucfan101

Practice Squad

« #7 : August 03, 2011, 02:22:59 PM »

He is also the one who said Brian Brohm would be better than Aaron Rogers when the packers drafted him. Where is Mr. Brohm now, you take what he and the other so called experts with a grain of salt. They have no better idea on who is going to make it than you or I they throw this stuff out there and hope it sticks. When in fact nobody really knows I say give Tebow a couple years and see where the chips fall. At this point Orton should be better he is a 7 year pro Tebow is starting his 2nd year with just 3 games under his belt.

WC-Hammer

Practice Squad
« #8 : August 03, 2011, 02:33:17 PM »

Tebow has some of the intangibles you look for in a pro, however, with his slow reads and inaccuate passing skills this doesn't really come off as a shock to me at the pro level. I wish him luck but I just don't see him making it at the NFL level either.

MUSCLE_HAMSTER

User is on moderator watch listWatched
Hall of Famer
« #9 : August 03, 2011, 02:48:36 PM »

Its better for the board to NOT post things about Tebow. People bring him up more than Java does.

blind melon

Hall of Famer

« #10 : August 03, 2011, 03:33:55 PM »

nflnetwork
NFL Network

According to a @michaelombardi report on NFL Network, Kyle Orton has been informed he's Denver's starting QB, and will not be traded.

Who knew how good it would feel as a fan when we now know what it\'s like for our team to have a direction, an attitude, and dare I say an offense?.  

Zsnore

User is on moderator watch listWatched
Pro Bowler
« #11 : August 03, 2011, 03:38:32 PM »

nflnetwork
NFL Network

According to a @michaelombardi report on NFL Network, Kyle Orton has been informed he's Denver's starting QB, and will not be traded.

No surprise here. Anyone surprise at this was drinking the Java Kool-Aid, which unfortunately there's plenty of those here.

This is what I think about the Glazers being cheap...

blind melon

Hall of Famer

« #12 : August 03, 2011, 03:41:01 PM »

is it Fox posturing though?   Although, it's hard for me to believe timmy! is ready...

stormsct

Starter

« #13 : August 03, 2011, 04:13:31 PM »

It will take Tim Tebow more time than most since his skill set as a QB doesn't directly translate to the NFL Pro Style offense. But, if given the right coach, patience and experience, he may turn out to be a very good NFL QB. Only time will tell.

To write off Tebow as worthless now would just be foolish and short-sighted. At the moment, Denver is smart to stick with Orton as Orton does have the experience.

stormsct

Starter

« #14 : August 03, 2011, 04:17:08 PM »

is it Fox posturing though?   Although, it's hard for me to believe timmy! is ready...
I doubt Fox is posturing. I got the impression Fox was not happy with Tebow as a starter. But, it's hard to know what exactly is happening within that FO.

It could be that Elway likes what he sees in Tebow, but wants to give him time to learn and mature.
  Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Merril Hoge says Tim Tebow just can’t play « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools