Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Merril Hoge says Tim Tebow just canít play « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

JavaRay

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer

ę #45 : August 04, 2011, 12:14:11 PM Ľ

I really believe Freeman could be the best TE or FB or DE in the league.

Wolf

Rookie

ę #46 : August 04, 2011, 12:23:05 PM Ľ

Merril Hoge
merrilhoge Merril Hoge
@TimTebow I'm not going to say its nothing personal, or hide behind its my job, or my producer made me do it, because anytime someone like

Merril Hoge
merrilhoge Merril Hoge
me in this case makes a FOOTBALL evaluation of you I understand its taken personal and i understand what comes from that.
9 minutes ago

Merril Hoge
merrilhoge Merril Hoge
My views are football only!! I have only met you once but feel your a good soul. Nothing would make feel better than to eat crow!!
8 minutes ago

@merrilhoge  Merril Hoge
I'm a straight shooter and I have no agenda, so know i mean this, good luck this season and prove me wrong!
10 minutes ago

I love this team, and would cheer them even if Leeman Bennett was coaching Alvin Harper and Eric Curry.

Wolf

Rookie

ę #47 : August 04, 2011, 12:27:39 PM Ľ

I really believe Freeman could be the best TE or FB or DE in the league.

Ohh...

He is a pretty good athlete, so I guess it is a possibility he would be good at those positions.  However, it is my personal opinion that his is far to valuable as a QB to try those other positions. 

Tebow, on the other hand, looks far less valuable as a QB and might have a greater impact at FB or TE (again in my opinion).

I love this team, and would cheer them even if Leeman Bennett was coaching Alvin Harper and Eric Curry.

Wolf

Rookie

ę #48 : August 04, 2011, 12:31:37 PM Ľ

I think Tebow brings a lot of good things to the table, and I would like to have him on the team at the right price and the right position (FB or TE).  I think he would help sell tickets.

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
ę #49 : August 04, 2011, 12:33:22 PM Ľ

Orton or Tebow? Itís embarrassing to think the Broncos could win with Tebow!!

While Tebow did only have a .333 winning percentage as the starter for the Broncos as a rookie QB in the NFL, does Merril Hoge know that the Broncos were 3-10 (.231 winning percentage) with Orton as their starter last year?

Blaze688

Hall of Famer

ę #50 : August 04, 2011, 01:36:58 PM Ľ

While Tebow did only have a .333 winning percentage as the starter for the Broncos as a rookie QB in the NFL, does Merril Hoge know that the Broncos were 3-10 (.231 winning percentage) with Orton as their starter last year?

The Broncos went 3-10 because their defense gave up almost 500 points. No one thinks it was because of Kyle Orton's 20 touchdowns in 13 games or his 87.5 quarterback rating.  That being said, it was time for Tebow to take over; Orton's last two games were by far his worst of the season, the Broncos were way out of contention, and what the hell were they going to lose?

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
ę #51 : August 04, 2011, 02:37:41 PM Ľ

The Broncos went 3-10 because their defense gave up almost 500 points. No one thinks it was because of Kyle Orton's 20 touchdowns in 13 games or his 87.5 quarterback rating.  That being said, it was time for Tebow to take over; Orton's last two games were by far his worst of the season, the Broncos were way out of contention, and what the hell were they going to lose?

Orton and Tebow played on the same Bronco team, yes?  I'm not blaming the Bronco losses on Orton, just like I don't think anyone can pin the Bronco losses on Tebow when the opponents average over 35 points in those losses.

Point being, even Orton didn't win that Bronco team.  And I thought Tebow played pretty damn well for a rookie QB, much better than most of his detractors anticipated.

ryan24

Hall of Famer

ę #52 : August 04, 2011, 02:44:05 PM Ľ

I think the problem with Tebow this season is that he has looked pretty bad in TC according to reports. That has the torches and pitchforkers mobilizing. I've never really thought he'd succeed but thought he would work to improve himself. His motion is still incredibly awkward even just tossing a ball back and forth.

Happy and Peppy and Bursting with love.

nubcake

Hall of Famer

ę #53 : August 04, 2011, 06:09:12 PM Ľ

Here's the problem with Hoge's analysis, aside from the overuse of exclamation points...I saw him play last season, and he played well. Better than pretty much anyone would have expected, really. He led his team to a huge comeback against the Texans and nearly another against the Chargers. His QB ratings were 100.5, 89.4, and 58.2. The last one was against the Chargers, who I believe had the best defense in the league last year, and despite not playing well he still threw for 2 TDs and ran for another. Perhaps most importantly, he had the Broncos caring again. That team was collapsing before Tebow took over.

And during all of his struggles this season, people are forgetting several major factors. First off, Tebow is a guy who comes from a college friendly system. We all knew he'd have a large learning curve and a lot of mechanical issues to overcome. Last season he had an entire offseason to do this, as well as a coach who might have been a total moron as GM and head coach, but is great at working with QBs. This season, Tebow had no offseason. Thus all of the practice that he really needs wasn't available. Heck, we were worried here about our offense gelling despite having freaking Freeman as QB, how much more of a concern is it for a guy like Tebow? Add to all of this the fact that he's now in a very different system, and yet somehow people are shocked because he's struggling in training camp?

Anyone who approached this Tebow situation logically(sadly not many) knew that it would likely be a while until he figured it out, likely 3-4 years. That was without factoring in a lockout and a coaching change AND a dysfunctional front office who was elevating him as a starter while they still had a QB who is clearly better at this point on the roster, and then when their foolish assumption that they'd be able to move him for a first round pick didn't come through, they're now stuck with a media hurricane that they single-handedly caused. And the media is going haywire because it's a very easy story to debate and because many people are growing spoiled with young QBs developing early. Not everyone will be a Ryan, Freeman, or Bradford, because not everyone comes from a system that prepares them OR goes to a situation in the NFL that quickens the process.

Ultimately, look at the games he's played in. Look at the fact that he put together 3 solid games on a horrendous team, and look at the college system he came from. The answer is clear. He has the potential, but it's going to take a while. Unfortunately, it may never happen because he's in a terrible situation with Denver. Everything that team has done since he arrived is embarrass itself.

anterrabae33

Hall of Famer

ę #54 : August 04, 2011, 06:42:29 PM Ľ

We should definitely trade a 5th or 6th for Tebow and set him up at the Box Office so he can help sell tickets.

Did someone say he was something along the lines of greatest college athlete to play the game? You do know people used to play both ways right?
Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Merril Hoge says Tim Tebow just canít play « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools