Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: "The Dom" tries again... « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 ... 9

Zsnore

User is on moderator watch listWatched
Pro Bowler
: August 04, 2011, 04:46:31 AM

By Stephen F. Holder, Times Staff Writer
In Print: Thursday, August 4, 2011

TAMPA Mark Dominik wants to point out a couple of things.

The Bucs have spent substantially since the opening of the NFL's free agent signing period, committing nearly $114 million to five players. Nearly $40 million of that is guaranteed.

But because four of those players were the Bucs' own, there's a perception they have been largely inactive during free agency. To that, the team's general manager says this: That's exactly the way it should be.

"I think there are a lot of clubs that sat on the sidelines more than we did," Dominik said. "And our internal thoughts were always to retain our players. Therefore, by re-signing Davin Joseph, I didn't have to go sign some other guard who was more popular because he was from outside.

"The grass isn't greener. We want to keep our guys here."

Dominik reiterated there was no mandate the team spend significant money this offseason. The NFL's new collective bargaining agreement contains a salary floor that each team must reach, but that doesn't apply until 2013. The only requirement this season is teams stay under the salary cap of $120.375 million and pay players $3.8 billion collectively.

The Bucs entered this season with more salary cap space than any other team, creating expectations of a spending bonanza on some of the biggest names on the market.

But the Bucs' philosophy under Dominik and coach Raheem Morris has been to build through the draft, a method that ensures the team will be young. But Dominik said the goal isn't to merely field a young team, but to assemble one with young players capable of playing and winning now.

"Our goal is to keep that core but understand that we have to get the right players," Dominik said. "And the last couple of years, they have been. In 2011, it's going to be the same. Those guys are going to have to step up, but I have a lot of confidence that they're going to be able to do that."

Why not sign a free agent here or there to augment what in 2010 was the league's youngest roster? Because, in addition to building for the future, Dominik said, he'd also like to develop consistency in habits and methods. In New England, they refer to it as "The Patriot Way."

Think of it as Tampa's version, Dominik said.

"You want them to do it (our way)," Dominik said. "When you go to the equipment room and we give you six pairs of socks, (we don't want to hear), 'The Colts give you eight.' I don't want to hear it. This is how we do it. This is how we lift (weights). This is how we practice.

"You want the team to understand so when the next class walks in (they understand, too)."

This has been something of an issue with some of the Bucs' past free agent acquisitions, and Dominik suggested he fears the impact it can have on team chemistry.

No one who has listened carefully to Dominik from the beginning should be remotely surprised. In February 2009, he and Morris announced their decision to release stars Derrick Brooks and Warrick Dunn and three other key veterans. Dominik said he didn't hesitate then and he won't hesitate now even though the team is still saddled with its reputation for being tight-fisted with money.

"It was our plan from Day 1, and we haven't veered from it," he said. "We knew right off the bat it wasn't popular. We're not there yet. We haven't made the playoffs yet. But we stayed the course, and we're going to stay the course. I feel energy from the fans, that they're excited about this football team. They're excited about these young guys and can't wait to go out and see the games. I'm the same way."

The drafts of 2009 and 2010 produced key prospects who have contributed in the past two seasons, something Dominik said has created less of a need for free agents. That's true, he said, not only because the players are talented, but because acquiring free agents could stunt their growth. In Dominik's perfect world, free-agent signings aren't even necessary.

"Ideally," he said, "our hope is to never have to go outside our building."

--LOL, they could write a million of these this fanbase won't get it.
http://www.tampabay.com/sports/football/bucs/tampa-bay-buccaneers-gm-mark-dominik-reiterates-strategy-on-free-agency/1184052
: August 04, 2011, 04:49:27 AM Zsnore

This is what I think about the Glazers being cheap...

MucBuc

Starter
#1 : August 04, 2011, 05:38:44 AM

"When you go to the equipment room and we give you six pairs of socks, (we don't want to hear), 'The Colts give you eight.' I don't want to hear it."

Damn, those cheap Glazers!  ::)

Oh, how I tire of young men and their ambitions.

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

#2 : August 04, 2011, 05:57:31 AM

lol this should be an interesting thread.

JavaRay

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer

#3 : August 04, 2011, 06:38:39 AM

"When you go to the equipment room and we give you six pairs of socks, (we don't want to hear), 'The Colts give you eight.' I don't want to hear it."

That has to be the dumbest statement ever.    What are the Bucs doing?  Modeling their management after the Chinese government?    They don't want their players to know what is going on in the rest of the world in an attempt to control their own people?

MiltonMack21

Hall of Famer

#4 : August 04, 2011, 08:01:55 AM

Dom knows re-signing Turdblood, Joseph and Black were HUGE mistakes and is now getting defensive about it. If he thinks Buc fans gave a flying well you know what other teams did he is mistaken. He knows the fan base is ready to completely turn on him. He better hope and pray that Joseph suddenly learns how to play, that ALL the draft picks turn out to be average-pro bowl, or he will be booted.
: August 04, 2011, 08:03:36 AM imawalkingcorpse

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#5 : August 04, 2011, 08:08:24 AM

He's wasting his breath. The so called fans that are more concerned with our payroll, than the talent on our team or the amount of wins we get, are not going to be convinced. Dom is better off ignoring the haters and just doing his thing. Let the results speak for themselves.

T.I. McCrown: King of the South

Starter
#6 : August 04, 2011, 08:09:11 AM

He knows the fan base is ready to completely turn on him.
No, just a select few morons.

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

#7 : August 04, 2011, 08:11:30 AM

He's wasting his breath. The so called fans that are more concerned with our payroll, than the talent on our team or the amount of wins we get, are not going to be convinced. Dom is better off ignoring the haters and just doing his thing. Let the results speak for themselves.

Yup.. The haters will always hate. Even if we did sign some guys there will always be a guy complaining.

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#8 : August 04, 2011, 08:20:09 AM

Except as he pointed out we spent a ton of cash...we just spent it badly. We spent a lot of money to not add talent to our team.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#9 : August 04, 2011, 08:23:53 AM

Except as he pointed out we spent a ton of cash...we just spent it badly. We spent a lot of money to not add talent to our team.

If you have no confidence in our own guys or this regime, then that makes perfect sense.

All_About_Free

Rookie
#10 : August 04, 2011, 08:27:33 AM

As long as he drafts well the team should be fine. But the conventional wisdom has been that a few FA here and there when you have a great team can put you over the top. I mean, we largely won a Super Bowl with an offense built from FA and an already dominant defense. Is this team there yet? I don't know. Our Offense and Defense have the potential to be great if these draft picks mature well, but neither is an "elite" unit right now. Perhaps this year that changes.

MiltonMack21

Hall of Famer

#11 : August 04, 2011, 08:28:45 AM

If you have no confidence in our own guys or this regime, then that makes perfect sense.

The three guys he re-signed, we know who they are. Black might improve, but Turd and Joseph have zero chance. Dominik is putting ALL of his eggs into the draft basket.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#12 : August 04, 2011, 08:48:46 AM

Our entire staff of coaches and scouts had the entire lock out to study and scrutinize every second of film on these guys and felt they were worth the contracts....but you know better? Ok. Sure buddy.

youngone

Hall of Famer
#13 : August 04, 2011, 08:58:07 AM

some ppl act as if players throw contracts at each other on the field and sack qb"s with signing bonuses.. we got a YOUNG talented team for half the price.. this team believes in coaching and that players can be coached up we proved that last year.. if we win another 10 games does the payroll matter? no.. honestly if they didnt believe Davin could be someone with zero upside going forward they would have never gave him his contract.. they proved that by letting ruud walk.. same thing with quincy they knew what they're paying for.. until we let someone like freeman or mike williams walk when we have 60 mil in cap space then im going to believe they lost their minds and the "plan" is no plan at all.. until then im rooting for every player on this team and players that are not here the hell with them..

BucNY

Hall of Famer

#14 : August 04, 2011, 09:01:00 AM

Haters hate.

No justification needed, if you dislike our coaches, staff or ideas on how to build a team that's ok. No need to try and justify it. Just say I hate our staff because I, a person with very little football knowledge and insight, disagree with how they are running this team regardless of the fact that Morris should have won coach of the year and our team made a 7 win turnaround. That's all. Enjoy your hate

\\\\\\\"This forum needs a poster like BucNY now more than ever\\\\\\\"
      - Everyone
Page: 1 2 3 ... 9
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: "The Dom" tries again... « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools