Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: "The Dom" tries again... « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 9

BuccsFan09

Rookie

#30 : August 04, 2011, 10:43:13 AM

"You want them to do it (our way)," Dominik said. "When you go to the equipment room and we give you six pairs of socks, (we don't want to hear), 'The Colts give you eight.' I don't want to hear it. This is how we do it. This is how we lift (weights). This is how we practice.

"You want the team to understand so when the next class walks in (they understand, too)."

So if we sign a FA from another team and his previous team practiced at 8am and lifted weights before practice, he would kill our chemistry because he would demand that we do the same thing in Tampa? I rarely hear of a FA doing anything like that. I guess I should be surprise that Dom overpaid for Black and surely Joseph. He said from the beginning that he had a plan and he is definitely executing it. We will see how it turns out. Only way he has been able to justify not spending is that in the near future a lot of our young players will need new contracts. I think not getting FA will cost up because the teams that are doing it are young. GB, Eagles, Falcs, Saints we will have to compete with for at least another 3+ yrs. Dom can not tell me that there was no FA better than Ted Larsen? Why go after Doug Free if he will demand more "pairs of socks", than we would give him? I rather him just make one statement about FA and leave it alone because its looking like he knows he messed up. I believe the Bucs depend a lot on coaching, like they can coach up any player to be great. That wont happen often, although I do like the new Dline coaches.

The Haters said this same thing last year when TB signed Jones. Who knows what we have in the young Ted Larson he could be a top guard very soon but how would TB have known if they put some out of shape FA or pricey vet in the starting position.

How good do you think Sean Jones is? Im sure one of our current safties could replace him. He is nothing more than a filler to me until we find someone better. I dont want to sign a team of free agents, but OJ Atogwe and Justin Blalock would have been good. I wanted something.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#31 : August 04, 2011, 10:52:42 AM

The Mike Clayton signing was out of desperation. Gruden and Allen left us with no receiving options. They knew Clayton had it in him and took a leap of faith that he would step up and regain his rookie form under a new regime without the baggage. They showed him confidence by giving him that long term deal...and it didn't work, but tell me who was the better option at the time? If not Clayton....who? What free agent WR was out their that would have been the better bet? A bunch of guys in their 30s and Lance Moore. I don't think Lance Moore was interested in leaving the Saints, but I'm sure many of you would have loved a 35 year Terrel Owens to be a cancer here, or over paying a 31 year old Houshmandzadeh. 33 year old Tory Holt or a 37 year old Marvin Harrison. I'm sure that would have put butts in the seats.

Draft Aaron Donald

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#32 : August 04, 2011, 10:54:11 AM

When people say Sean Jones is a just a stop gap and wasn't that good last year they lose all credibility. Jones balled out last year. Without him we don't win 10 games. 

Draft Aaron Donald

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#33 : August 04, 2011, 10:55:03 AM

But they studied the tape on these guys and know that they worth the money because they fit on the team.  I don't see how they could be mistaken.  They are the professionals.

too far?

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

BuccsFan09

Rookie

#34 : August 04, 2011, 11:12:54 AM

When people say Sean Jones is a just a stop gap and wasn't that good last year they lose all credibility. Jones balled out last year. Without him we don't win 10 games.

LOL, He balled out last year. He is 29, which is still young, watch us replace him by this time next year. I believe he signed a 2 year deal when he came to us, so if he is balling he should get a very good extension (4+ yrs) from us this year. I like Grimm better.

1sparkybuc

Hall of Famer
#35 : August 04, 2011, 11:34:05 AM

GameTime, you didn't read the whole post. First of all they didn't have free agency back then. But they were the LAST great team to win completely without trade, FA or any outside players.
The only flaw with your argument, Sparky, is that the offensive line was weak before and it's STILL weak. Guys like Larsen or Hardiman could be better if they play, but Trueblood or Joseph? No way. They are what they are. I would sincerely hope that OT would be one of our top three picks next year.

I agree with you. The OL and the defensive backfield are both areas of need to me. The only thing I can say is, they must know something I don't. I'm sure they have replacement players targeted for the DBs, and maybe they believe Pat Morris is a monumental upgrade over Mangurian. I don't know. What I do know is they have made the "experts" eat their words. I expected ten wins last year WITH THE STARTERS. I didn't expect ten wins using PS players from our roster and from other teams. We very easily could have had thirteen wins, with Detroit and the fowlgoons' games. What I'm saying is It's hard to argue with success. Raheem and Dominik have turned this franchise around in two and a half years. They made some mistakes, corrected them, and moved on to the next set of issues. I am confident 2009 will be the last losing season in a long long time. We have NEVER had a true franchise QB in the history of the team. We have NEVER had a solid balance of talent on both sides of the line. Two years ago we had needs everywhere you could look. Now we have a great young team that simply lacks experience. Most young teams learn by losing. Not these guys. In the next few weeks I'm sure there will be adjustments made to the roster. Nothing is set in stone. My biggest concern is at Center. Faine is not durable and Zuttah doesn't impress me. He's the same size and weight that he was when he came here, He doesn't make the effort to improve himself. I'd like to see Larson at C. The OL has to be the top priority in the draft next year. I trust these guys to do what's best for the team.

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#36 : August 04, 2011, 11:40:49 AM

but tell me who was the better option at the time? If not Clayton....who? What free agent WR was out their that would have been the better bet? A bunch of guys in their 30s and Lance Moore. I don't think Lance Moore was interested in leaving the Saints, but I'm sure many of you would have loved a 35 year Terrel Owens to be a cancer here, or over paying a 31 year old Houshmandzadeh. 33 year old Tory Holt or a 37 year old Marvin Harrison. I'm sure that would have put butts in the seats.

I'm sorry, but are you asking who would have been a better option than a guy who gave the team 14.4 YPG and 1 friggin' TD after giving him $26M for 5 years?  Geezus, they could have found an UDFA to give them that production.

hsmith

Second String

#37 : August 04, 2011, 12:58:11 PM

$114 million spent minus what they were making last year. Plus that $ 114 million is over 4-5 years. Look at what you spent it on are you joking . Dom stick to drafting and let someone else deal with free agency and contracts because your track record in that department is pathetic.

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

#38 : August 04, 2011, 02:28:34 PM

"You want them to do it (our way)," Dominik said. "When you go to the equipment room and we give you six pairs of socks, (we don't want to hear), 'The Colts give you eight.' I don't want to hear it. This is how we do it. This is how we lift (weights). This is how we practice.

"You want the team to understand so when the next class walks in (they understand, too)."

I love this team and I'm excited about this year. I also like Morris and Dom. But those are some of the most ridiculous words I have ever heard come out of the mouth of a GM. WTF?

I don't want to hear it? Is he that thin skinned that he can't listen to any criticism or different ideas from a FA? I think he needs to check his ego a little bit.

I feel energy from the fans, that they're excited about this football team. They're excited about these young guys and can't wait to go out and see the games. I'm the same way."

I was annoyed that we didn't add a couple of pieces. And, of course, there's still a chance of that happening. But yes, I'm excited as hell about this team and can't wait to watch them compete this year.

However, Dom needs to be realistic and know that there is a decent % of fans out there who are not happy with the money spent on DJ and QB. And they see other teams filling holes and getting better and they're thinking,  "Why not us?"

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#39 : August 04, 2011, 02:31:35 PM

I think there's genuine concern to stay away from players with a sense of entitlement like Derrick Ward, but not all players from other teams are divas. Many are quality hard working guys.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#40 : August 04, 2011, 02:34:33 PM

but tell me who was the better option at the time? If not Clayton....who? What free agent WR was out their that would have been the better bet? A bunch of guys in their 30s and Lance Moore. I don't think Lance Moore was interested in leaving the Saints, but I'm sure many of you would have loved a 35 year Terrel Owens to be a cancer here, or over paying a 31 year old Houshmandzadeh. 33 year old Tory Holt or a 37 year old Marvin Harrison. I'm sure that would have put butts in the seats.

I'm sorry, but are you asking who would have been a better option than a guy who gave the team 14.4 YPG and 1 friggin' TD after giving him $26M for 5 years?  Geezus, they could have found an UDFA to give them that production.

That isn't what I asked. Obviously if could see the future and they knew what he was going to give them after they resigned him they wouldn't have done it.

What I asked is what was the better option at that time. We had nobody on our roster besides Bryant and there were no FAs that had any less risk than Clayton. I think they did the best they could in a bad situation. If Clayton had regained is rookie form they would look like geniuses....but he remained a turd. They admitted their mistake and cut him the following off season and drafted two stud WRs. Not sure how they could have handled it any better.
: August 04, 2011, 02:36:12 PM JDouble

Draft Aaron Donald

AKA T.Calvin

Starter

#41 : August 04, 2011, 02:40:03 PM

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#42 : August 04, 2011, 02:43:14 PM

That isn't what I asked. Obviously if could see the future and they knew what he was going to give them after they resigned him they wouldn't have done it.

What I asked is what was the better option at that time. We had nobody on our roster besides Bryant and there were no FAs that had any less risk than Clayton. I think they did the best they could in a bad situation. If Clayton had regained is rookie form they would look like geniuses....but he remained a turd. They admitted their mistake and cut him the following off season and drafted two stud WRs. Not sure how they could have handled it any better.

Using this logic, why didn't they re-sign Antonio Bryant to a $50M contract the following season?  I mean, who was the better option at the time?  A 2nd and 4th round draft pick?  Turns out, yeah.

They should have learned from that mistake of expecting a guy to change his stripes.  Michael Clayton is what he is.  Davin Joseph is what he is.

ryan24

Hall of Famer
#43 : August 04, 2011, 02:48:32 PM

Sean Jones is a steady player. Nothing more. Nothing less. He certainly helped last year. Ideally....you'd like someone better.

Happy and Peppy and Bursting with love.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#44 : August 04, 2011, 03:22:34 PM

Sean Jones is a steady player. Nothing more. Nothing less. He certainly helped last year. Ideally....you'd like someone better.

Solid, smart, dependable....I'd take 11 players like Sean Jones any day. The only downside to Sean Jones is his age.

Draft Aaron Donald

Page: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 9
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: "The Dom" tries again... « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools