Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: DOW takes major plunge Thursday on fears of another recession « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

Mean D

Pro Bowler

#30 : August 08, 2011, 09:37:58 PM

Most of this "correction" was from European countries having problems, not our own. Some financial advisors have recommended using this downturn as a buying opportunity. Me? I'm content to sit and wait and see how this develops.

That is a pile of crap, Morgan.  Your messiah's Keynesian experiment has FAILED.  Entitlements for the weak, lazy, stupid and unproductive are killing our economy.  On 11-6-12 the worst president in U.S. history will be kicked out of office in a landslide.

I'd find you several links to prove my point, but to tell the truth, you're not worth the time.

BTW, better find a way to get 97% of the Black voters who support Obama to change their minds.

Well I'll be damned, our resident idiot actually got something close to correct.  The ONLY demographic category whose support for the worst president in U.S. history hasn't plummeted is blacks (about 90%).  Now, Morgan the organ, let me burst your little bubble with some basic mathematical facts.  Blacks make up roughly 12% of the U.S. population.  100% of black voters could vote for Obamalamadingdong and he will still lose.  And since blacks are being hit hardest by the 9.3% unemployment AND STILL their support for this incompetent maintains you, Morgan, should be out screaming from the hilltops that it is racist.

And in case you have forgotten, Morgie, it was me that you pussed out on when challenged to compare financial statements.

cyberdude558

Hall of Famer

#31 : August 09, 2011, 03:50:49 AM

Bank of America stocks dove 20% on Monday. Citigroup, Chase, and Wells Fargo are also way down.

Lenders and banks are taking a beating right now. BOA has lost 49% of its value on the year.

kevabuc

Hall of Famer

#32 : August 09, 2011, 09:36:58 AM

I see QE 3 on the horizon. Program trading has been getting hungry since they gobbled up the 2 trillion from QE 1 and 2 and crapped it out right on top of interest sensitive assets.   

\"The budget should be balanced; the treasury should be refilled; public debt should be reduced; and the arrogance of public officials should be controlled.\" -Cicero. 106-43 B.C.

Morgan

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer
#33 : December 20, 2012, 07:02:48 AM

DOW nearly doubled over the last 5 yrs. Hard to believe in light of all the gloom-and-doomers, naysayers who predicted the exact opposite. Hope you all took advantage of the buying opportunity.

http://money.cnn.com/data/markets/dow/

Morgan

Hall of Famer
#34 : December 20, 2012, 07:05:23 AM

Most of this "correction" was from European countries having problems, not our own. Some financial advisors have recommended using this downturn as a buying opportunity. Me? I'm content to sit and wait and see how this develops.

That is a pile of crap, Morgan.  Your messiah's Keynesian experiment has FAILED.  Entitlements for the weak, lazy, stupid and unproductive are killing our economy.  On 11-6-12 the worst president in U.S. history will be kicked out of office in a landslide.

How did that prediction work out for you?

Chief Joseph

Hall of Famer

#35 : December 20, 2012, 08:58:00 AM

"Entitlements for the weak, lazy, stupid and unproductive are killing our economy."

Do you have to be all of them to qualify? Because I am reasonably productive.

Illuminator is a good poster. He sticks to his guns and makes good points. Some don\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'t like that.

Morgan

Hall of Famer
#36 : January 04, 2013, 03:20:23 PM

S&P 500 breaks through to new bull market high

Just days after worrying about falling off the fiscal cliff, investors now are seeing stocks scale new bull market heights.

Friday, the broad Standard & Poor's 500 stock index became the first of the big three U.S. indexes to cross back over its bull market closing high, set more than three months ago.

Shortly before 2 p.m. ET, the S&P poked through 1465.77, its bull market closing high on Sept 14. Although the S&P is up just 0.2% on the day, the gain comes on top of a powerful opening-year rally as Wall Street cheered the last-minute tax deal by politicians.

Seeing the stock market at new bull market highs is a major vote of confidence for investors, who just a few months ago worried that a failure by lawmakers to sign a deal could put the economy at risk of recession.

Since stocks started rallying a week agoFriday on hopes of a deal, the S&P 500 is up 4.5%. The Dow Jones industrial average is about 1% from its 2012 bull market high and the Nasdaq composite is about 2% below its. The Wilshire 5000 index also is at a new bull market high and shows the value of the U.S. stock market has risen $10.2 trillion since the March 2009 bear market low.

Stocks sold off sharply following the November elections on worries about automatic tax increases and spending cuts that would take effect on Jan. 1 unless Congress could reach a compromise. Since the recent low on Nov. 15, the S&P 500 has now gained 8.3%.

The yield on the 10-year Treasury bond rose to 1.93% from 1.9% Thursday and 1.7% last Friday. Gold prices fell $30, or 1.8%, to $1,645, suggesting that gold bugs don't see much of a threat of inflation in the latest employment report.

The euro is 0.1% higher against the dollar at 1.3051 while the dollar gained 0.8% against the yen at 88.16. The price of oil continued to fall, down 0.3% to $92.63 a barrel.

Wall Street stocks reacted poorly Thursday to minutes from the most recent meeting of the Federal Reserve that showed opinion was divided over how long the central bank should keep in place its program of economy-supporting bond purchases. The Dow, the S&P 500 and the Nasdaq all ended Thursday's session with losses.

Federal Reserve: Stocks end lower after Fed releases minutes

On Friday, market attention turned to the government's December jobs report.

Economists had forecast -- right on the money -- that employers added 155,000 jobs in December, according to a survey by FactSet. That would be slightly higher than November's 146,000, revised downward by 2,000 in today's report. The unemployment rate wa projected to remain at 7.7%.

The December employment data added some context to jobs reports released Thursday from private research firms that showed private-sector employers added a better-than-forecast 215,000 jobs in December, although weekly applications for unemployment benefits moved higher, to 372,000.

Jobs: ADP estimates 215,000 jobs created in December

In Europe, stocks ended Friday modestly higher. The FTSE 100 index in London closed up 0.7% at 6,089.84. Germany's DAX 30 index ended up 0.3% at 7,776.37 and France's CAC 40 index finished up 0.2% at 3,730.02.

In Japan, the nation's benchmark Nikkei 225 leaped 2.8% to close at 10,688.11 as the stock index, closed over the recent holiday period, was given its first opportunity to react to Tuesday's announcement of a deal over the so-called "fiscal cliff" in Washington.

A weakening yen was also a factor helping to push Japanese stocks higher. Major markets in the rest of the Asia-Pacific region declined.

The Hang Sang index in Hong Kong finished up 0.3% to 23,331.09 Friday while Singapore's STI index ended almost flat at 3,225.22.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/markets/2013/01/04/us-stocks-jobs-report/1808437/

cyberdude558

Hall of Famer

#37 : January 04, 2013, 04:09:09 PM

If the internet and housing bubbles taught anyone of anything about economics....trends don't mean jack crap. You have to look behind the numbers to see if there is really anything there or if it's just hot air.

There is a lot of hot air in the stock market and economy right now.
Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: DOW takes major plunge Thursday on fears of another recession « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools