Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Speed « previous next »
Page: 1 2

jlr0714

Starter
#15 : August 05, 2011, 07:43:29 PM

Sometimes blazing speed is overrated.   I seem to recall Williams & Benn both getting behind the defense last year....considering how strong Free's arm is, I hope he puts a little more air under the ball this year...he had a few deep throws come up short last year to Benn that I remember....

The Franchi5e

Pro Bowler

#16 : August 05, 2011, 08:21:40 PM

Jock, Gaitor, JJ, Biggers and Quincy Black have the best 40 times I think. I'm not sure I've ever seen what Spurlock ran the 40 in.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#17 : August 05, 2011, 11:12:20 PM

Ya know, there is elite speed like Chris Johnson or DeSean Jackson. Guys that run 4.2s and 4.3s...but not many teams have a guy like that. Most teams, including the Bucs have 4.4 guys, and that isn't slow. We have plenty of guys that are fast. Mike Williams and Arrelious Benn are fast. Spurlock is fast. Hell even Blount's top speed is underrated. He may take a bit to get up to full speed, but he damn near outran Cromartie in that Cardinals game. I don't know if he'll make the final 53, but Ed Gant is probably the fastest guy out of the 90 people on our roster right now.

Then there is quickness. A lot of fans get quickness confused with top speed. Quickness is much more important in my book. Along with great route running, quickness is what allows receivers to get separation from defenders. Quickness is what allows RBs to make defenders look stupid. We have a lot of guys with great quickness. Jock Sanders is one of the quickest guys I have ever seen....not sure if he makes the team, but being so short allows him to move in ways bigger guys simply cannot. He moves like Desean Jackson...unfortunately, unlike Jackson, his top end speed is just average.

I don't think the Bucs are in anyway a slow team. Only in Madden. Speaking of Madden, speed only wins when playing that game. It's great to have someone with that kinda speed on your team in real life, but crisp routes, good blocking, and perfect execution is what makes a great offense in reality. Speed is over rated.
: August 05, 2011, 11:20:15 PM JDouble

Draft Aaron Donald

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#18 : August 05, 2011, 11:26:15 PM

Draft Aaron Donald

MUSCLE_HAMSTER

User is on moderator watch listWatched
Hall of Famer
#19 : August 06, 2011, 02:52:08 AM

Are you talking about acceleration or top speed? Cuz Preston Parker gets movin quick, but hes not the fastest top speed guy.

BerubesBucs

Hall of Famer

#20 : August 06, 2011, 03:18:54 AM

For whatever reason, we've never really had the fast guys on an offense here. We had a super fast defense back in our hay day but never had burners on offense. We had Joey Galloway who was serviceable for a few years and we had Jaquez Green before that who was really the last "burner" I remember us having and that just never worked out.

Bucman

Hall of Famer
#21 : August 06, 2011, 03:22:49 AM

You don't need a burner to win anything. Its always nice to have guy like Chris Johnson and Desean Jackson. But it doesn't make you a SB contender because of it. The greatest WR of all time wasn't a burner.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#22 : August 06, 2011, 09:29:15 AM

Dexter Jackson was a burner.....

Draft Aaron Donald

1sparkybuc

Hall of Famer
#23 : August 06, 2011, 11:39:27 AM

He was fast but had no spine. The law of gravity got to him before the defenders did.

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer
#24 : August 06, 2011, 11:52:29 AM

that's why speed is overrated. sure you need a certain amount to play at this level but you need so much more than just that to succeed.  everybody on a NFL defense is going to be an excellent athlete so not too many guys can just burn them with their speed.  big plays are usually the result of a breakdown or a mistackle.

bucfan33

Pro Bowler
#25 : August 06, 2011, 12:52:32 PM

He was fast but had no spine. The law of gravity got to him before the defenders did.

Jackson was faster then the speed of sound!  You Saw him take a dive & then you Heard the thud when he hit the ground!
Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Speed « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools