Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Aqib Talib: “My dog” Raheem Morris “got the real true story” « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 ... 9

cyberdude558

Hall of Famer

« : August 09, 2011, 07:45:28 AM »

When Buccaneers cornerback Aqib Talib was charged with aggravated assault with a deadly weapon in the spring, there were reports that the Bucs would cut him as soon as the lockout ended. But Talib is at training camp with his teammates, and all indications are that the Bucs want him in their starting lineup when the regular season starts.

So why is Talib still in good standing? Talib told the Tampa Tribune that he has a strong relationship with Bucs head coach Raheem Morris and has given Morris a credible explanation of what happened during the incident in question.

“That’s my dog,” Talib said of Morris. “If anybody’s got the real true story of what happened, Rah does.”

For his part, Morris said he thinks the league will let Talib’s legal situation case reach its conclusion before deciding whether to suspend him under the personal-conduct policy.

“I know he’s got to go through a whole bunch of legal stuff,” Morris said, “but I don’t think anything will happen as far as the league. They usually wait to pass judgment until something happens legally first. Aqib’s ready to go. Aqib’s ready to play.”

Actually, NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell has made clear that he doesn’t have to wait until a player is convicted before suspending him under the personal conduct policy — players have been suspended simply for being arrested, and Ben Roethlisberger was suspended simply for being accused, even though he was never arrested. So Talib isn’t necessarily in the clear with the league office.

But Talib is apparently in the clear as far as Morris is concerned. For all his off-field trouble, Talib still has the support of his head coach.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/08/09/aqib-talib-my-dog-raheem-morris-got-the-real-true-story/

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

« #1 : August 09, 2011, 07:53:08 AM »

oh noes... here we go.

Morgan

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer
« #2 : August 09, 2011, 08:09:52 AM »

“That’s my dog,” Talib said of Morris. “If anybody’s got the real true story of what happened, Rah does.”

Can't wait until Java sees this one.

BTW, familiarity really does breed contempt.  Note to Morris: be very careful how close you get to your players.  Before you know it, the inmates will be running the asylum......

JDouble

Hall of Famer
« #3 : August 09, 2011, 08:12:01 AM »

Well one thing is clear. Rodger Goodell is screwing us by dragging his ass on this. He has all off season to look at the guys that have gotten into trouble. He needs to make his **CENSORED**ing decision already.

Morgan

Hall of Famer
« #4 : August 09, 2011, 08:22:52 AM »

Goodell's suspending Talib before his trial? You think that's fair to Talib?

JDouble

Hall of Famer
« #5 : August 09, 2011, 08:25:27 AM »

me?

Captain Hindsight

Hall of Famer

« #6 : August 09, 2011, 08:31:52 AM »

Goodell doesn't care, he suspended Roethlisberger and he wasn't even charged with anything.

Morgan

Hall of Famer
« #7 : August 09, 2011, 08:48:31 AM »

Roethlisberger was handed his suspension AFTER prosecutors decided not to charge him with rape. Goddell waited for the legal system to determine if  there was any criminal chargers before making his decision. Same has got to be applied to Talib's situation, imo.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger was suspended Wednesday for six games for violating the NFL's personal conduct policy, the league announced.

Commissioner Roger Goodell handed down the punishment a week after prosecutors decided not to charge Roethlisberger in a case involving a 20-year-old college student who accused him of sexually assaulting her in a Georgia nightclub in March.

Cerious

Hall of Famer

« #8 : August 09, 2011, 08:51:00 AM »

Goodell doesn't care, he suspended Roethlisberger and he wasn't even charged with anything.

Roethlisberger had multiple accusations of sexual assault at the time of his suspension. He still has an ongoing civil suit concerning one complaint of sexual misconduct.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
« #9 : August 09, 2011, 08:52:15 AM »

Well Talib didn't rape anyone either. His situation could be viewed as defending his sister from an abusive boyfriend....only time will tell how this incident is viewed, but it's an entirely different situation. Rapistberger was alone with a drunk chick in a bathroom in a bar at 2 in the morning....after he'd already been accused of rape once. He put himself in the bad situation whether he raped her or not, and I think that is why he was punished. Talib was with his family at home and became part of a domestic dispute between a family member and someone who had a restraining order against him and shouldn't have been there. I don't think the two incidents are close enough to compare.

In my mind Talib is probably going to jail....but he should not be suspended until that happens. He didn't purposely put himself in a bad situation by being out late, or getting wasted, or being at a club, ect, ect.

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

« #10 : August 09, 2011, 08:53:58 AM »

Well one thing is clear. Rodger Goodell is screwing us by dragging his ass on this. He has all off season to look at the guys that have gotten into trouble. He needs to make his **CENSORED**ing decision already.
Aqib Talib is screwing us by continually being an idiot.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

« #11 : August 09, 2011, 08:56:57 AM »

Aqib Talib is screwing us by continually being an idiot.

True. In the end it doesnt matter what happens. If Talib doesnt learn from his mistakes it doesnt matter who is "dog" is.

cryptfiend

Starter

« #12 : August 09, 2011, 09:01:22 AM »

I don't think he will go to jail.  I don't have any links, but I have been following the story closely.

The police only have 1 witness saying Talib fired shots (that being shannon, who was busy running away from the Talib family, through woods...not exactly the best situation to tell who is firing, and even if they are firing at you).  They also have 1 witness who says it might have been Talib (his mom...who is essentially trying to save her own ass because she DID fire shots before shannon started running away.  She says she couldnt see who fired shots because of the trees and so it MIGHT have been Talib).  something like 19 other witnesses say that talib definitely did NOT fire shots.  He brought the gun to the confrontation, tried to hit shannon, missed and dropped the gun.  Shannon then picked it up and tried to shoot talib, noted that the gun was jammed and ran....meanwhile Talib's mom fired shots, and talib gave chase.

even if talib had fired shots...there are multiple ways in which you could call the situation self defense.  remember, shannon had run off with talibs gun.  he WAS armed.  Also, the whole situation started because shannon was beating up on talib's sister.

The difference between talib, and rapelisberger is thus:  rapelisberger never denied having sex with a drunk girl.  he should have known that he was putting himself in a situation where the NFL's reputation could be tarnished.  Talib was in no such situation.  He had a right to defend his sister.

Morgan

Hall of Famer
« #13 : August 09, 2011, 09:04:45 AM »

PWNASAURUS

Starter

« #14 : August 09, 2011, 09:11:54 AM »

In before Java.

Page: 1 2 3 ... 9
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Aqib Talib: “My dog” Raheem Morris “got the real true story” « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools