Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Entire U.S. Stealth Fighter Fleet Grounded « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

alldaway

Hall of Famer

: August 11, 2011, 10:21:08 AM

http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2011/08/entire-u-s-stealth-fighter-fleet-grounded

Imagine how better off our nation would be if we had universal health care and upgraded F-18's variants instead of wasting money on these stealth fighters.

Right now, we do not have universal health care, and our air force is using older generation fighters to make up the bulk of the fighter fleet. Worse, most frames on an airplanes after 20 years need to be replaced due to the stress on the metal and the U.S. is stuck with using such fighters because JSF is way behind schedule.

JavaRay

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer

#1 : August 11, 2011, 10:49:45 AM

Our country has it's priorities seriously confused.

Morgan

Hall of Famer
#2 : August 11, 2011, 10:51:56 AM

Can't afford universal health care or many of the current entitlement programs. Sure we have to cut defense, but have you seen the federal budget lately.  Well, here's the 2009 budget.  We can't keep adding entitlements because we can't afford them.  Defense is one of the most important functions of our Federal government according to Charles Krauthammer, and I have to agree with him.  The European model of entitlements (France, Greece, Italy) that our President might be trying to emulate is proving to be disastrous.  Something needs to be done about the high cost of healthcare, but providing it free of charge to all of our population isn't feasible.

Kelly Thomas

Hall of Famer
#3 : August 11, 2011, 12:27:05 PM

Defense is one of the most important functions of our Federal government according to Charles Krauthammer, and I have to agree with him. 

Never a dull moment with you around. ::)

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#4 : August 11, 2011, 03:18:25 PM

Defense is one of the most important functions of our Federal government

I certainly don't disagree with that.  Unfortunately we are spending a lot of money on offense.

Morgan

Hall of Famer
#5 : August 11, 2011, 04:05:24 PM

Constitution doesn't address entitlement programs -it does address national defense/security. I may be wrong.

Why can't states initiate health care programs, anyway? Romney did in Massachusetts, didn't he?

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#6 : August 11, 2011, 07:09:16 PM

Why can't states initiate health care programs, anyway? Romney did in Massachusetts, didn't he?

Is state-level debt somehow more attractive than national debt?

Morgan

Hall of Famer
#7 : August 11, 2011, 07:27:44 PM

Most definitely as a FLA resident, I don't have to help finance the rest of population in the other 49 states. And as the constituionalists on this mb will remind us all, it's not the Federal Government's responsiblity to provide these types of benefits. This debt crisis has really opened my eyes - I didn't realize how much of our total budget was related to SS, Medicare entitlements alone. Throwing an addtional program on the taxpayer's backs is just un-doable.

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#8 : August 11, 2011, 08:12:04 PM

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

Morgan

Hall of Famer
#9 : August 11, 2011, 08:26:53 PM

does that include NASA?

okay to cut defense and decrease our commitments around the world in order to decrease our debt, but no sense in taking on a whole new elephant with free healthcare for all.
: August 11, 2011, 08:28:40 PM morgan

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#10 : August 12, 2011, 03:24:28 PM

In the end the problem with the JSF and the F-22 is that they are already obsolete.  Really, why risk the pilot anymore (the most expensive part of any fighter platform) when a drone can basically do the same thing and it keeps the pilot safe and happy thousands of miles away from combat.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

beardmcdoug

Pro Bowler

#11 : August 13, 2011, 12:37:12 AM

wait... what is wrong with free healthcare for the entire country?  who loses out on a healthier society?  Big pharmacy?  Why would you oppose a healthy country?  Boy, I can't wait until all your right wing ideals die off and we actually move on to a better society...

JavaRay

Hall of Famer

#12 : August 13, 2011, 01:12:18 AM

That's absurd.    Military pensions are a big problem as well.   How long can our tax dollars keep paying that?    Most corporations have done away with full pensions, the government needs to look into that as well.

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#13 : August 13, 2011, 01:17:07 AM

wait... what is wrong with free healthcare for the entire country?  who loses out on a healthier society?  Big pharmacy?  Why would you oppose a healthy country?  Boy, I can't wait until all your right wing ideals die off and we actually move on to a better society...

1. Nothing is free. It still costs money one way or the other. You still pay for it.
2. There's not much evidence it makes a healthier society. In England for example if you need to clear an arterial blockage you'll get a by-pass. In the US you'll get an angioplasty. The latter costs a ton more than a by-pass but it also doesn't involve cracking open your chest and a higher risk of death.  What do you want, the LCD form of medicine or the best options available?
3. If the US doesn't subsidize cheap drugs for other countries by you know actually paying for the things around the world there's no margin for new drugs. That's not a help either. You can hatre Big Pharma but I rather like all the nifty chemicals that keep me alive longer and healthier. Not sure why you want to torpedo science that way but whatever floats your boat.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

Morgan

Hall of Famer
#14 : August 13, 2011, 07:27:02 AM

That's absurd.    Military pensions are a big problem as well.   How long can our tax dollars keep paying that?    Most corporations have done away with full pensions, the government needs to look into that as well.

You got that right - probably got to look at changing the plan, but have fun finding career soldiers.  I know a lot of quality Army officers who would have easily gone to the private sector and made a living in a heartbeat, but the cost-of-living adjusted pension along w/ healthcare for life kept them in until they qualified.  Postal workers the same? I'm not familiar with their program.  Who needs an Army (or Postal Service) anyway - we can contract out to the corporations you talk of.
Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Entire U.S. Stealth Fighter Fleet Grounded « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools