Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Bush Clone Rick Perry announced he's running for President « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
« #45 : August 16, 2011, 08:28:17 PM »

I have to agree, though I think you meant to say they aren't calculated in the jobless numbers.

You're right, typo on my part.

CBWx2

Hall of Famer

« #46 : August 16, 2011, 08:50:23 PM »

California and Florida have experienced more state-to-state immigration than Texas has, yet population growth in both of those states was slower than it was in Texas by a good margin. Remember how you were crapping on that whole birth rate and Mexican immigration thing? Well, what else explains it if not what Krugman said?

Did u just say California? The state where folks are leaving faster than they are arriving? That California?

Yup, that one.

Top 3 states in interstate immigration from 2005 to 2010:

1. Florida - 1.86 million
2. California - 1.45 million
3. Texas - 1.36 million

source: http://www.census.gov/prod/2003pubs/censr-8.pdf

Texas is the 2nd most populated state in the country and is growing at a faster rate than both Florida and California combined, yet is behind Florida and California in interstate migration. What that suggests is that a large portion of the growth is not coming from transplants from other states.

Also, the examples that writer uses in his rebuttal are bogus. The size and demographics of the counties named in the piece are not similar, though the author suggests they are.

Harris County (Houston) has a 41% minority population.
Kings County (Brooklyn, NY) has a 68% minority population.

In Harris County (Houston), 14.9% of the population is below the poverty level.
In Kings County (Brooklyn, NY), 25.1% of the population is below the poverty level.
In Suffolk County (Boston), 19% of the population is below the poverty level.

Harris County (Houston) has a population of 4.1 million people.
Kings County (Brooklyn, NY) has a population of 2.6 million people.
Suffolk County (Boston) has a population of 722 thousand people.

It looks more like the author looked for counties to support his argument rather than counties that were actually similar demographically. Part of the reason might be that certain parts of Houston have the highest median income levels in the entire state of Texas. Those parts more than offsets the poorer parts of the county, whereas Kings County and Suffolk County are largely working class.

Chief Joseph

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer

« #47 : August 16, 2011, 09:22:48 PM »

Texas is the 2nd most populated state in the country and is growing at a faster rate than both Florida and California combined, yet is behind Florida and California in interstate migration. What that suggests is that a large portion of the growth is not coming from transplants from other states.

'Cause Mehico is not a state yet.

Illuminator is a good poster. He sticks to his guns and makes good points. Some don\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'t like that.

DynaMike Glennon

Pro Bowler

« #48 : August 16, 2011, 10:46:09 PM »

'Cause Mehico is not a state yet.

Keyword...."yet".

spartan

Hall of Famer
« #49 : August 17, 2011, 11:02:25 AM »

Yup, that one.

3. Texas - 1.36 million

That link is 11 years old and says California had a net loss of 755k. Wrong link or did I interpret something wrong?

Edit: Ah, I get it now. The 1.45 million people is total in migration. Problem is, 2.2 million went out. Texas had 1.36 million in and 1.2 million out for a gain of 150K.  So I guess that would explain a population INCREASE for Texas, 'specially over the last 10 years, and a population DECREASE for California. California did have more people going in, but it also had a lot more people who had learnt their lesson and were hightailing it out of there, interesting enough, in large dollops to Texas.
« : August 17, 2011, 11:09:59 AM spartan »

CBWx2

Hall of Famer

« #50 : August 17, 2011, 12:26:37 PM »

Yup, that one.

3. Texas - 1.36 million

That link is 11 years old and says California had a net loss of 755k. Wrong link or did I interpret something wrong?

Edit: Ah, I get it now. The 1.45 million people is total in migration. Problem is, 2.2 million went out. Texas had 1.36 million in and 1.2 million out for a gain of 150K.  So I guess that would explain a population INCREASE for Texas, 'specially over the last 10 years, and a population DECREASE for California. California did have more people going in, but it also had a lot more people who had learnt their lesson and were hightailing it out of there, interesting enough, in large dollops to Texas.

That was the wrong link. My bad.

Morgan

Hall of Famer
« #51 : August 17, 2011, 06:25:48 PM »

I really want to like Rick Perry, but it seems like he's just another hypocritical politician...

http://news.yahoo.com/rick-perry-aggressively-pursued-federal-aid-now-decries-095000694.html

DynaMike Glennon

Pro Bowler

« #52 : August 17, 2011, 07:10:26 PM »

Its really making me sick how much attention this **CENSORED**r is getting. This guy barely won re-election in his own state. Ron Paul is more popular in the state of Texas then the Governor. The State Tribune in Texas conducted a poll asking who they would like to see get the nominee, Paul or Perry. Paul won a in a landslide, 81% to 19%. All you have to do is ask the people that live in Texas how they feel about Perry to get a good idea, after all. They should no better than anyone. I remember when I took a trip to TX in 2000, I was a huge GWB fan. Some of the people there had nothing but bad things to say about him, it went one ear and out the other. I use to thought Dubya could walk on water. Im not making that same mistake again.

John Galt?

Hall of Famer
« #53 : August 17, 2011, 07:25:03 PM »

Why are so many people moving to Texas?

For government jobs?

http://www.usnews.com/news/blogs/rick-newman/2011/08/16/how-rick-perry-created-jobs-in-texas

Since the recession began, Texas has added about 75,000 jobs, one of the few states with any job creation at all. Overall, the U.S. economy has lost about 5.6 million jobs since then. But net job gains in Texas have come entirely from government hiring, which accounts for 115,000 new jobs over the past three years. The private sector in Texas shed about 40,000 jobs during that time.

In that case, might as well just keep Obama. I don't see a difference

DynaMike Glennon

Pro Bowler

« #54 : August 19, 2011, 07:38:05 PM »

Bank of America’s Dead Drop To Rick Perry: “We Will Help You Out”

Zero Hedge August 19, 2011

Should we be surprised, frightened, disgusted or simply say “we knew it”, that in the informal mixer just after Texas Governor and Republican presidential candidate Rick Perry spoke at a Politics and Eggs breakfast in Bedford,New Hampshire, an unknown gentlemen approaches a casual Perry like an Ian Flemming character, and proceeds to dead drop the following: “Bankof America… We will help you out“… and silently moves on. At least we know now who is funding what, and whose interests potential future president Perry will be paid to defend.

Morgan

Hall of Famer
« #55 : August 19, 2011, 07:47:30 PM »

You think any "Big Oil" will help him out as well?

DynaMike Glennon

Pro Bowler

« #56 : August 19, 2011, 08:23:09 PM »

You think any "Big Oil" will help him out as well?

Probably as much as they helped Dubya out.

spartan

Hall of Famer
« #57 : August 19, 2011, 08:43:04 PM »

BOA have to declare who they donate to so this means pretty much nothing. They will also probably hedge their bets and donate to Prezbo too. Just like most corps do.

John Galt?

Hall of Famer
« #58 : August 20, 2011, 03:23:52 PM »

BofA's no. 1 supportee will be whoever is running against Durbin. Pretty sure BofA, Wells Fargo, Citi, and Chase, all have a bullseye on **CENSORED** Durbin.

Now Obama did get BofA a big ol chunk of bailout money, but then again they also didn't like Dodd-Frank which BHO gleefully signed.
« : August 20, 2011, 03:27:01 PM John Galt? »

Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Bush Clone Rick Perry announced he's running for President « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools