Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Bucs coach Raheem Morris said........ "I'm fired up about him.'' « previous next »
Page: 1 2

michael89156

Hall of Famer

: August 13, 2011, 10:11:39 PM

Briscoe making push for playing time

CLIFF MCBRIDE/STAFF
Dezmon Briscoe got the attention of the Chiefs and plenty other observers Friday night.

By ROY CUMMINGS | The Tampa Tribune
Published: : August 13, 2011 - 6:35 PM

KANSAS CITY, Mo. --
The list of friends, family members and former teammates who wanted tickets to see Dezmon Briscoe play against the Chiefs in the Buccaneers' preseason opener at Arrowhead Stadium on Friday night was rather lengthy.

The number Briscoe actually accommodated was quite small just five, he said, because this is the preseason, and Briscoe believes there will be plenty of chances for friends and family to come watch him play when the games begin to count.

It seems he might be right. Though the former Kansas star is running behind Mike Williams and Arrelious Benn at wide receiver, he proved himself worthy of regular-season playing time during the Bucs' 25-0 victory.

The player receivers coach Eric Yarber refers to as the Bucs' best route runner, Briscoe didn't just lead all receivers with four receptions and 60 receiving yards; he also led the way in plaudits from his head coach.

"I remember talking about Dez a while ago and how he might be one of our better receivers, and he's done nothing but show me and prove to us that he can play this game,'' Bucs coach Raheem Morris said. "I'm fired up about him.''

Mark Dominik had a feeling he would be. The Bucs general manager watched Briscoe closely during his college career, and when he slipped through the Bucs' hands during the 2010 draft, Dominik laid out a plan to steal him away from the team that grabbed him, the Cincinnati Bengals.

Certain that the Bengals would release Briscoe during their final cut and then offer him a place on their practice squad, Dominik waited for Briscoe to be cut, then swooped in and enticed him to join the Bucs' practice squad instead by offering him a better-than-market value four-year contract.

A year later the move certainly seems to be paying off for the Bucs. Briscoe is part of a young receiving corps that has the potential to blossom into one of the league's best and most feared.

And while Briscoe still has some work to do to move past Williams and Benn and earn a spot in the starting lineup, he said he made the right choice in leaving Cincinnati for Tampa Bay.

"I feel like it was the best situation for me,'' Briscoe said of signing with the Bucs. "I've surrounded myself here with a bunch of young guys my age and with a young coach and so I think it's what was best for me.''

One of those young guys Briscoe is surrounded by is his quarterback, Josh Freeman. A former Kansas State star, Freeman was a rival of Briscoe's through college, but the two are fast becoming close friends now.

"When I first came here there was a bunch of controversy with the Kansas-Kansas State thing, but we ended up bonding, and I think he looks a little more for me on the field now, so it's a good thing,'' Briscoe said.

Freeman had little choice but to look for Briscoe on Friday. Benn sat out the game and the Chiefs double-teamed Williams on several plays, leaving Freeman with Briscoe as his best option.

"In the absence of Arrelious, he's really stepped up (as) a key contributor,'' Freeman said. "Whether it's at camp or (on Friday), he's a guy that's capable of going out and making plays and I'm looking forward to his progression."

Briscoe progressed quietly a year ago. Stashed away on the Bucs' practice squad, he remained a relative unknown right up until the time he was promoted to the active roster for the final two games of the regular season.

In those two games, though, Briscoe quickly proved why Dominik had worked so hard to get him. After a modest two-catch debut against the Seahawks, he caught a team-high four passes for 65 yards and a touchdown in the season-ending victory over the Saints.

"That really helped me a lot to make the transition from college to the pros,'' Briscoe said of playing the final two games last year. "I got some good playing time in crunch time there, and it's transitioned over to training camp and so now I just want to keep progressing. Consistency is the key for me now.''

michaelford10

Rookie

#1 : August 14, 2011, 12:48:25 AM

Great article. I actually think Benn should be our slot receiver.  Briscoe and Williams are the teams best pure receivers while benn is our fastest most physical receiver who i believe is physical enough to bang with linebackers but also our best YAC receiver.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#2 : August 14, 2011, 12:58:26 AM

Briscoe looked pretty good, but I think his performance is being a little over hyped. He had one nice reception vs. the starters and the rest was against 2nd and 3rd stringers. He also dropped a pass that hit him right in the chest....in the endzone. The idea that he is better than Benn is hilarious to me.

Parker looked like garbage.

Sanders looked very good returning kicks. I don't he makes the team because we have Spurlock, but the kid's got game. 

Ed Gant looked pretty good.

Stroughter and Spurlock were the most impressive WRs to me. They had 2 catches each and all four were clutch, difficult catches they made look easy.

I think Hardey will beat out Overbay and Purvis as our 3rd TE. He was solid.

3rd String Kicker

Hall of Famer
#3 : August 14, 2011, 01:03:04 AM

Quote from: Raheem Morris
"I'm fired up about him.''

Definitely a lot of hype on Briscoe, but I like it. He's got the raw talent and great size to be great, a little confidence will go a long way.

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#4 : August 14, 2011, 01:05:41 AM

Briscoe had too many body catches for my liking, and as a result I don't think he will pass up Benn or Williams for playing time.

JavaRay

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer

#5 : August 14, 2011, 01:13:03 AM

He reminds me of Paris Warren.

3rd String Kicker

Hall of Famer
#6 : August 14, 2011, 01:20:19 AM

I am still haunted by that injury... very hard to watch.

BerubesBucs

Hall of Famer

#7 : August 14, 2011, 01:53:39 AM

Benn's lack of playing time and missing the last several games last year is making people forget how friggin good the guy is. Temper your Briscoe enthusiasm. Yes, he's good. And yes, he's going to be a playmaker... But Benn is still the better playmaker.

threadkiller

Pro Bowler

#8 : August 14, 2011, 02:02:43 AM

Briscoe looked pretty good, but I think his performance is being a little over hyped. He had one nice reception vs. the starters and the rest was against 2nd and 3rd stringers. He also dropped a pass that hit him right in the chest....in the endzone. The idea that he is better than Benn is hilarious to me.

Parker looked like garbage.

Ed Gant looked pretty good.

Stroughter and Spurlock were the most impressive WRs to me. They had 2 catches each and all four were clutch, difficult catches they made look easy.

I think Hardey will beat out Overbay and Purvis as our 3rd TE. He was solid.

Agree with all of this. 

I think we should pump the brakes on the Briscoe hype.  He reminds me of a slightly less athletic James Jones.  Will make an amazing catch and come back the next series and drop a perfectly thrown ball.  Like Jones he has #1 wr talent (or very good #2), but looks like he lacks constant focus on the field.  I will be surprised if he beats out Benn for the starting #2 job, but could be an excellent #3 guy to spell Williams and Benn.  I didn't realize we signed Dezmon to a 4 year deal.  Dom is looking real good there with him under contract for 3 more seasons.  Great position with him.  If he really blossoms we can lock him up well before he ever hits the open market. 

Hopefully we have all these guys learning all the different positions.  Would be great to move them around and play any of them in the slot like the Packers do with their group. 

I **CENSORED**ed a little about us not going after one of the young free agent receivers available.  Wanted to let Spurlock go for Jones/Sims-Walker/Smith, but all those guys got 3+ mil per on the market.  I'm willing to concede to Dom's "plan" looks good here (though I still don't know what we're paying Michael). 

It's just one game, but I don't see how Parker keeps his roster spot.  Maybe just 5 receivers this season if we can slip Sanders/Gant (practice squad eligible?)/Lewis onto the practice squad?

Sanders looked very good returning kicks. I don't he makes the team because we have Spurlock, but the kid's got game.

Would love to see Jock make more of his moves up the field.  Returners who run horizontally too often really frustrate me.  He certainly has wiggle, but it's a lot easier to make guys miss running flat or giving ground.  Would love to see him earn a place on the roster (or even  the practice squad).  Spurlock is not a long term player imo.  28 year old who got a 1 year contract.  I'm not sure who the other returner possibilities are for us? 

JavaRay

Hall of Famer

#9 : August 14, 2011, 03:16:05 AM

I am still haunted by that injury... very hard to watch.

Similar to the old injury to tight end Jerry Bell.   His foot was completely the other way around.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#10 : August 14, 2011, 11:35:37 AM

I am fired up about him also.  No reason they can't have all three on the field at the same time in 3 WR packages.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

JavaRay

Hall of Famer

#11 : August 14, 2011, 11:37:44 AM

That's if Benn can beat out Stroughter.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#12 : August 14, 2011, 12:51:41 PM

Beat out Stroughter eh? Apparently you had your eyes closed all last season....which would explain most of your posts. Just to fill you in, Benn was entering beast mode towards the end of the season before his injury. Neither Stroughter or Briscoe have shown anything close to what Benn has.

Bucman

Hall of Famer
#13 : August 14, 2011, 12:55:37 PM

Benn was drafted to be a slot WR. Williams was a legit #1 WR coming out but off the field issues lead to him falling. Briscoe can be a #2 WR type guy if he keeps proving himself.

notabucsfan

Hall of Famer

#14 : August 14, 2011, 01:06:51 PM

That's if Benn can beat out Stroughter.

Your stupid if you actually believe what you just said.

Benn was drafted to be a slot WR. Williams was a legit #1 WR coming out but off the field issues lead to him falling. Briscoe can be a #2 WR type guy if he keeps proving himself.

Don't know where you heard this. Benn was drafted to be one of the starting receivers on our team and he showed great promise last year when he was starting in the #2 spot.
Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Bucs coach Raheem Morris said........ "I'm fired up about him.'' « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools