Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Dekoda Watson can be our Clay Matthews « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

NYC BUC

Second String
: August 13, 2011, 10:54:34 PM

I watched the game twice now with tons of replays. I am convinced after watching Dekoda Watson that he is one of our most explosive pass rushers. He explodes off the line and was a nightmare for the LT and RT in the game (1.5 sacks) Not sure why he isn't getting more accolades from this game. He was the most disruptive player on the field. He has natural pass rush ability and can finish spectacularly. He's not just speed but has great body lean, and can dip under his man and twist his hips (Gaines Adams couldn't). His movement skills remind me of a lighter version of Clay Matthews.
Other Notes:
* Frank Okam destroyed every Guard he faced, whether running plays or passing plays. He was 3 yrds behind the line on almost every play.
* Michael Bennett is in for a big year. They even started to double and chip him. He was a headache for their RT all game.
* Loved Asante's deep coverage and devastating hit.
* Gaitor reminds me of a young Rhonde with his instincts and toughness. He has more speed and quickness too, scary! Great pick by Dominick
* Daniel Hardy will make the team as a receiving TE, he can play. Another great pick.
* Clayborn is a absolute stud and shows no fear or intimidation. Once he gains more experience he will be dominant.
* Loved EJ Wilson quickness off the ball, no great stats but he was penetrating.
* Mason Foster has a nose for the ball and will put his face on you. Pass coverage is work in progress
* Dotson has lots of Technique work to do. With those long arms why does he let guys get right into his chest? Needs more bulk and strength.
* Lumpkin was only average. Speed average, vision average, strength average, wiggle...none! Will not scare an NFL defense. Blount better not get hurt!
* Briscoe is the real deal!
* Geno Hayes is still and enigma. Has Derrick Brooks type movement skills and quickness but takes consistently takes bad angles and dissapears. Vontaze Burfact would be perfect replacement for him next year. Guy is a monster!

barbernbrooks

Hall of Famer

#1 : August 13, 2011, 10:59:17 PM

Go rewatch and look at T MAC

BucsBay

Hall of Famer
#2 : August 13, 2011, 11:02:54 PM

I agree with most of what you said, although I'll check the tape to see if I can be as high on Watson as to compare him to Clay Matthews. I will also say that I don't think Lumpkins deserves the bad wrap he's getting. I don't think the Bucs expect him to set the world on fire. Just be solid on 3rd down.

barbernbrooks

Hall of Famer

#3 : August 13, 2011, 11:36:26 PM

I just rewatched and I agree about okam(if he's 98).....he was beasting his guard on every single play

Condor Bastadon

Starter

#4 : August 13, 2011, 11:40:14 PM

Okam was doing that last year too. He had 7 tackles in the Seahawks blowout late in the season. Most of us figured he'd be playing the nose in this defense, but Rah or somebody must have really seen something to put him at 3-technique. He isn't gonna take McCoy's job but it'll be interesting to see how he gets on the field.

barbernbrooks

Hall of Famer

#5 : August 13, 2011, 11:45:04 PM

he should definitely be starting at nose....rah needs to put the politics aside...yeah we drafted roy early in the draft, but okam is not only much bigger and more fit to play nose, but he has outplayed roy every time he's had the chance. Okam is a beast. Mccoy and Okam would be a great starting pair, with miller and price rotating in

Condor Bastadon

Starter

#6 : August 13, 2011, 11:49:26 PM

he should definitely be starting at nose....rah needs to put the politics aside...yeah we drafted roy early in the draft, but okam is not only much bigger and more fit to play nose, but he has outplayed roy every time he's had the chance. Okam is a beast. Mccoy and Okam would be a great starting pair, with miller and price rotating in

Just based on Okam's sheer size and apparent strength, i'd agree with you that he's more fit to play nose. But it's quite possible that even though Okam is a huge dude, he could be more effective as a penetrator than he is at taking on double teams and holding up against the run. NT and 3-tech are just different jobs. I don't think Rah would intentionally put him at 3-tech knowing that it'd keep him off the field if he really had a chance to start at NT.

Captain Hindsight

Hall of Famer

#7 : August 13, 2011, 11:49:35 PM

RONDE RONDE RONDE RONDE

Not Rhonde

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#8 : August 13, 2011, 11:50:00 PM

Who knows maybe Watson has that kind of talent, but no LB will ever be a Clay Matthews for this defense because no LB in a 4-3 defense is going to get the amount of pass rush opportunities someone like Matthews gets in Dom Capers' system. Matthews gets to rush the passer almost as much as our DE's do. He almost never is in coverage.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

Condor Bastadon

Starter

#9 : August 13, 2011, 11:52:26 PM

Watson needs a lot more steroids to be like Matthews. NFL needs to bust that guy.

NYC BUC

Second String
#10 : August 14, 2011, 08:18:10 AM

I agree with most of what you said, although I'll check the tape to see if I can be as high on Watson as to compare him to Clay Matthews. I will also say that I don't think Lumpkins deserves the bad wrap he's getting. I don't think the Bucs expect him to set the world on fire. Just be solid on 3rd down.
Don't get me wrong I'm not hating on Lumpkin just stating a observation. He will not scare any defense and is just a slightly below average NFL RB. If Blount gets hurt Lumpkin will be the weak link as a RB. Of course they could start Graham but he's 31yrs old. Hopefully Bradford develops but we really could use a very good backup like Carolina has in DeAngelo Williams and Stewart.
As for Watson don't take my word, look at the tape. The guy was an absolute missile off the edge. I don't ever recall us having a LB that had his type of pass rush speed except for Broderick Thomas, and he wasn't this fast or quick. He can be a big time stud!

Zsnore

User is on moderator watch listWatched
Pro Bowler
#11 : August 14, 2011, 09:14:11 AM

Rah brought the blitz' from everywhere, except the safeties I think. that definitely wasn't a tampa-2 against KC. hybrid blitz zone? lets see the look against the Pats

This is what I think about the Glazers being cheap...

JavaRay

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer

#12 : August 14, 2011, 09:45:14 AM

If you said Derrick Brooks was our Clay Matthews, I'd agree.   Dekoda Watson?   Please.

Zsnore

User is on moderator watch listWatched
Pro Bowler
#13 : August 14, 2011, 10:01:05 AM

I'd say Dekota Watson is more gifted athletically. Dekota 23 Matthew's being 25, we'll see where he stands in 2 years.

Dekota Watson                                                             
    40-Yard Dash                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 
        Worst: 4.97 Best OLB: Dekoda Watson 4.56
    3-Cone Drill
        Worst: 7.37 Best OLB: Kyle Bosworth 6.67
    20-Yard Shuttle
        Worst: 4.60 Best OLB: Kyle Bosworth 4.11

Bench Press
        Worst: 2.0 Best OLB: Sean Weatherspoon 34.0
    Vertical Jump
        Worst: 29.5 Best OLB: Keenan Clayton 41.5
    Broad Jump
        Worst: 108.0 Best OLB: Dekoda Watson 134.0
http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft/player/combine?id=25566&_slug_=dekoda-watson&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fnfl%2fdraft%2fplayer%2fcombine%3fid%3d25566%26_slug_%3ddekoda-watson

Clay Matthews
    40-Yard Dash
        Worst: 4.92 Best OLB: Jonathan Casillas 4.45
    3-Cone Drill
        Worst: 7.21 Best OLB: Brian Cushing 6.84

Bench Press
        Worst: 12.0 Best OLB: Brian Cushing 30.0
    Vertical Jump
        Worst: 35.0 Best OLB: Aaron Curry 37.0
     Broad Jump
          DNP
http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft/player/combine?id=24669&_slug_=clay-matthews&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fnfl%2fdraft%2fplayer%2fcombine%3fid%3d24669%26_slug_%3dclay-matthews

This is what I think about the Glazers being cheap...

JavaRay

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer

#14 : August 14, 2011, 10:02:13 AM

"athletically gifted" rarely ever translates to football ability.

Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Dekoda Watson can be our Clay Matthews « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools