Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Dekoda Watson can be our Clay Matthews « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

NYC BUC

Second String
« #30 : August 14, 2011, 09:33:49 PM »

Watson gets to the quarterback a couple times and now people want him to be our Clay Matthews? Don't see it.
Lazoran...did you rewatch the tape or are you just talking out of your head? If you watch the tape you will clearly see he has elite rush LB skills. Maybe that's why they use him that way! Do I want him to become a rush LB like Matthews? Of Course, so should you! Lets all see how it develops but don't just shoot it down because your in denial or just because you want to. Give me a reason from what you see

notabucsfan

Hall of Famer

« #31 : August 14, 2011, 09:57:50 PM »

Watson gets to the quarterback a couple times and now people want him to be our Clay Matthews? Don't see it.
Lazoran...did you rewatch the tape or are you just talking out of your head? If you watch the tape you will clearly see he has elite rush LB skills. Maybe that's why they use him that way! Do I want him to become a rush LB like Matthews? Of Course, so should you! Lets all see how it develops but don't just shoot it down because your in denial or just because you want to. Give me a reason from what you see

Denial? More like a realist. You do remember Watson did play against their third string also, right? For one your comparing a 3-4 rushing OLB to a 4-3 OLB. That's basically two separate positions where one is asking to rush the passer the majority of the time and the other one is asking to do other things besides just rushing the passer. You might as well just compare Watson to Dwight Freeney. Watson as a linebacker though I do like and he does posses a lot skillsets to become a good 4-3 OLB. Hes quick, strong, and fluid if anything he would be more comparable to Derrick Brooks then Clay Matthews. Name me one 4-3 OLB who has consistently put up more then 5 sacks a year?  I bet you you can't even name one. The only thing I shot down was the Matthews comparison not the idea of Watson becoming a good OLB in this league. Maybe instead of calling me out and saying I am in denial you should understand positions in certain defenses more. A comparison to players like Derrick Brooks or Lance Briggs would just be a little more accurate.

Borat!

Starter

« #32 : August 14, 2011, 10:13:35 PM »

Denial? More like a realist. You do remember Watson did play against their third string also, right? For one your comparing a 3-4 rushing OLB to a 4-3 OLB. That's basically two separate positions where one is asking to rush the passer the majority of the time and the other one is asking to do other things besides just rushing the passer. You might as well just compare Watson to Dwight Freeney. Watson as a linebacker though I do like and he does posses a lot skillsets to become a good 4-3 OLB. Hes quick, strong, and fluid if anything he would be more comparable to Derrick Brooks then Clay Matthews. Name me one 4-3 OLB who has consistently put up more then 5 sacks a year?  I bet you you can't even name one. The only thing I shot down was the Matthews comparison not the idea of Watson becoming a good OLB in this league. Maybe instead of calling me out and saying I am in denial you should understand positions in certain defenses more. A comparison to players like Derrick Brooks or Lance Briggs would just be a little more accurate.

Julien Peterson comes to mind, but I get what youre saying

\\\\\\\"...even if we win the SB not getting a few FAS with so many available was being pig headed and fanatical.\\\\\\\" - 4bucs

Condor Bastadon

Starter

« #33 : August 14, 2011, 10:34:33 PM »

I've been intrigued by Watson since we picked him. He has the size and athleticism of a typical Tampa 2 LB, but his skill set is more like a 3-4 OLB. That's a big reason why he fell in the draft...he's not really a fit for either of those systems. But for a coach like Rah who likes to tinker and find things to do for specific players, Watson is a very interesting guy.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
« #34 : August 14, 2011, 11:18:25 PM »

Pre-season fellas.  Settle down.

AlstottUpTheGut

Starter

« #35 : August 15, 2011, 06:29:33 AM »

"athletically gifted" rarely ever translates to football ability.

Nice, people don't give you enough credit. You do listen and are capable of learning. Pretty sure I just said the same thing to you about Tebow starting over Orton.

1. Donald
2. Bridgewater
3. Landry
5. Abbrederis
6. Lyerla

GameTime

Hall of Famer
« #36 : August 15, 2011, 08:48:17 AM »

I'd like to see Watson play over Geno in a game in the pre season. I think he could beat him out.

but does he know the defense well enough?  think its been reported thats still the problem.

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

notabucsfan

Hall of Famer

« #37 : August 15, 2011, 11:02:04 AM »

"athletically gifted" rarely ever translates to football ability.

Nice, people don't give you enough credit. You do listen and are capable of learning. Pretty sure I just said the same thing to you about Tebow starting over Orton.

Thats all Tebow is, is athletically gifted.

cheveliar

Hall of Famer

« #38 : August 15, 2011, 12:48:30 PM »

I like Okam and Woods.  Both those guys can do nicely in limited roles...Our starters have to make those guys better by laying the ground work...

okam should be a starter...not have a limited role...period

For these guys to be effective in the 4th quarter, we need a solid rotation throughout the game. It hardly matters who is named the starter. Raheem makes use of everybody. If you're on the roster, you're going to contribute something. You're going to be involved.. We have great depth on the DL and at LB. The talent is there. They just need experience. Great coaching can't hurt. This should be a great Defense by the time we get to the playoffs.

Agreed Sparky

Without Carl Nix it feels like our running game just took a death blow to the face!

xBuCsX_4_XeVax

User is on moderator watch listWatched
Pro Bowler

« #39 : August 15, 2011, 12:55:05 PM »

you guys still talk bad about Geno Hayes..but i bet if he destroys one pre-season game we wouldn't trash him anymore..ive said it be4 he's gonna be fine..he has the potential to be a playmaker for us..stop hating on  the kid..he's just a kid! give him a chance

cheveliar

Hall of Famer

« #40 : August 15, 2011, 12:59:32 PM »

you guys still talk bad about Geno Hayes..but i bet if he destroys one pre-season game we wouldn't trash him anymore..ive said it be4 he's gonna be fine..he has the potential to be a playmaker for us..stop hating on  the kid..he's just a kid! give him a chance

I like Dakota, I also think he will do well with some seasoning.  That's how you used to earn your stripes in that room.  You get drafted, play special teams, get some spot duty due to injury, then end up a starter.  These guys are being thrust in without the benefit of that time to learn...

Without Carl Nix it feels like our running game just took a death blow to the face!

GameTime

Hall of Famer
« #41 : August 15, 2011, 01:05:46 PM »

give him a chance to do what?  be an all pro?  i think he is what he is...a nice player who gambles a lot. 

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

BucMyLife

Pro Bowler
« #42 : August 15, 2011, 01:50:08 PM »

give him a chance to do what?  be an all pro?  i think he is what he is...a nice player who gambles a lot.

Overruns plays. Can't shed blocks. He's been here for 3+ years (started 2) and has peaked, IMO.

The quest for .500 begins...

Detrimental

Hall of Famer

« #43 : August 16, 2011, 01:05:47 AM »

All jokes aside though, Watson does have pass rush ability. He would line up at DE at times with the Noles and create pressure. I like what I saw from him against KC granted they were all backups. Facts are this, the guy is explosive, quick, and he knows how to use his size as an advantage for leverage. I like the idea of using him to spell Clayborn and give LT's a different look. I don't think he will be Clay Matthews good but if given the opportunity he can definitely rack up on sacks. 

Piratic

Second String

« #44 : August 16, 2011, 05:34:19 AM »

...Watson...is explosive, quick, and he knows how to use his size as an advantage for leverage...

I'm already on board The #56 Bandwagon. Have been ever since he hit the field. He's hard to miss. Impressive.

First post.

"In my opinion, the Buccaneers have three promising, up-and-comers at the linebacker position in Foster, Tyrone McKenzie and Dekoda Watson, and that’s not to take anything away from the likes of Geno Hayes and potential free agents Quincy Black and Adam Hayward. Tampa Bay wants to get bigger at the linebacker position and Watson is the lightest of the three up-and-comers at 240 pounds, but I wouldn’t be surprised if he showed up to training camp at least 245 pounds because he has the frame to add more size without losing his speed. Watson is believed to be the fastest linebacker on the team."

Think about that for a second. Potentially even faster than #54. That is impressive.

"The Buccaneers brought in UCLA linebacker Akeem Ayers for a pre-draft visit, and while he had some advocates at One Buccaneer Place, there were some involved in the decision-making process that thought that Dekoda Watson, one of last year’s seventh-round picks, could be just as good as just as productive as Ayers, who was not a top-end athlete."

I point out these two sections because I believe that #56 will be this season's "no name" breakout player on defense, much like #35 was last season. He's raw, to be sure, but the physical talent is obvious, and he plays with an aggressiveness that I love to watch. On another board I wrote, "He's like a predatory cat." I'll stand by that.

It's good to finally be on board!

Watch the tape of the Chiefs first punt, around thirteen minutes (13:00) of the 1st Quarter.

#56 is so low to the ground that I was immediately reminded of my "predatory cat" comment.

#50 is to his immediate right on this play, and according to the Official Bucs website, they have virtually identical height & weight, yet #56's stance is much lower than #50's. It's like getting ready to spring!

Whatever happens with this guy, it's not gonna be boring; he's fast to the ball, and he certainly appears hungry! Or is it youngry?

Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Dekoda Watson can be our Clay Matthews « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools