Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: The best way to quit smoking « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 9

BucsGuru

Hall of Famer
#15 : August 18, 2011, 09:01:44 AM

Started smoking at the age of 19 while in the Marines.  Over the years I stopped and started several times, sometimes even years in between.  I smoked my last cigarette 7.5 years ago.  At the time I was averaging 2 packs a day, or would smoke 2 boxes of Hav-a-Tampa Jewels per day.  I tried the drugs, gum, and nothing worked.  I simply asked for them to be taken away and in just a few short weeks it happened; a true miracle for me! 
Personally, I believe growing up in a home with smokers programmed my sub-conscious that it was normal and okay, even though I was very athletic and ran all the time.  I have gained weight since I quit, but feel much better overall due to quitting!!

Good Luck!

JavaRay

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer

#16 : August 18, 2011, 09:07:16 AM

My Uncle used to be a chain smoker and I found it so disgusting that I have never tried a cigarette in my life.    He was so addicted that he even quit his job back in the day when they banned smoking in the office (yes, that was long ago).   His whole lifestyle has suffered due to his smoking and it's quite sad.

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer
#17 : August 18, 2011, 09:21:03 AM

My Uncle used to be a chain smoker and I found it so disgusting that I have never tried a cigarette in my life.    He was so addicted that he even quit his job back in the day when they banned smoking in the office (yes, that was long ago).   His whole lifestyle has suffered due to his smoking and it's quite sad.
what made it so hard for me to quit was that I had a job where I could smoke throughout the day and was basically on my own w/o supervision.  Sure there was a no smoking in company vehicle policy but that's what air freshener is for.

germcanbuc

Pro Bowler
#18 : August 21, 2011, 12:46:35 PM

Actually, the best way to quit smoking is by reading Allen Carrs "The Easy Way To Quit Smoking". Not smoking is easy, its all in the mind set (for example, dont think of it as quitting, as this suggests giving something up, think of it as escaping). Me and my brother were both pack a day smokers until about 3 years ago when a friend of mine told me about this book that he had used to escape the trap. It really does work, and has for everyone weve recommended it to. The best part (as a smoker) is that at the very beginning he says to continue smoking until youre done reading the book (when your desire to smoke will be at 0), at times even insisting that you light up while reading. Every now and then, I just re-read the book to make sure I dont go back, although thats more precautionary on my part

Check out www.reverbnation.com/nickfreddy and follow me on twitter @nick_freddy

onebucfn

Second String

#19 : August 22, 2011, 11:33:38 AM

I smoked a pack a day for 10 years. The price went up and i could no longer afford to smoke so  I started to "dip" to get the same effect for a cheaper price. I use skoal for about three years and again i was up to about a can to two a day. This time i made any excuse to keep dipping eventhough it was costing more that smoking now. One day I came home and noticed my 6 year old son spitting around the backyard for no apparent reason when he was playing. I asked him why he was doing that and he stated he was acting like daddy! I quit that day and have never turned back. My son is now 12 and im stil tobacco free. I did not want my son to grow up and want to use drugs like me. That scared me cold turkey! The first week was terrible, but i is well worth the price i paid! My father use welbutron(sp) to wiut and he said it was very easy. I guess you just have to find what works for you. I know many people who have tried everything in the book and it doesnt work. I guess I just had a good reson to quit and some people are still looking for theirs

spartan

Hall of Famer
#20 : August 22, 2011, 01:59:10 PM

I know it sounds like a cliche, but it doesn't matter what method you use, or why, you have to want to do it. I tried 'giving up' a few times before I actually did, but I didn't really want to, therefore failed dismally. The time I really wanted to, felt I had to, I was done in a few days.

Chief Joseph

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer

#21 : August 22, 2011, 02:12:14 PM

Got hypnotized at a Wellness Seminar. Forty bucks. Never smoked again.

I tried the hypnosis about a decade ago.
But failed.  :(
Just curious.
What's your smoking history?
How long for and how much did you smoke?
Any tips for success w/ hypnosis that helped you "kick the habit and join the unhooked generation"?
Just wonderin' if I should maybe try again.
I was hypnotized as part of a large group. Maybe if it was one on one It may be more effective?
Also, at the time, I never really felt I was actually under the influence of hypnosis.

As Spartan pointed out, a key component is how much you want to do it. I smoked for about twenty years before I quit, and was up to around two packs a day. First, I went from smoking Marlboros to Marlboro Mediums, then eventually I went to Marlboro Lights (tried the ultra lights but just couldn't hang). Then I stopped smoking in the house. When winter came along and I had to go outside to smoke, I really cut down a lot. Then I went to the Wellness Seminar. The wife went as well, and we both stopped smoking.

Afterwards, I cut back on the drinking and hanging out in environments that I associated with smoking. The main side effect I had problems with was chewing so much gum and sunflower seeds that I had to see a chiropractor to have my jaw straightened out. But I never smoked again.

Now if I could just quit sniffing glue.

Illuminator is a good poster. He sticks to his guns and makes good points. Some don\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'t like that.

replica

Hall of Famer
#22 : August 23, 2011, 09:47:17 AM

I smoked 1 to 2 packs a day for about 21 years, I also purchased the E cig in June of 2010 and I have not had a cigarette since. After about 2 months with the ecig (the NJoy 520 I believe from cignot.com) I switched to the nicotine free formula. I have not used the Ecig since the last lightning home game (may?) but I still keep it with me as my 'crutch'. Highly recommend it.

Incognito

Hall of Famer

#23 : December 15, 2013, 07:18:56 PM

UPDATE:

Well, its been over 2 years since I quit smoking and started this topic.

Just thought I'd tell you all that I still haven't had a cigarette... and I'm still loving the e-cig. I feel so much better. No more smoker's cough, no more shortness of breath when I do something physically taxing (such as running), no more ash tray breath... and we have extra money in our pockets now that we don't spend $10 per day on cigs.

Heres my stats...

Also, it feels good not having to worry as much about cancer.

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer
#24 : December 15, 2013, 07:38:50 PM

Good for you.  I started up again.  Need to try the E cig. 

Bucfucious

Hall of Famer

#25 : December 15, 2013, 08:07:38 PM

I still need to quit sniffing glue.

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer
#26 : December 15, 2013, 08:09:57 PM

I still need to quit sniffing glue.
try cutting back by going with Elmer's. 

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#27 : December 15, 2013, 09:49:02 PM

UPDATE:

Just thought I'd tell you all that I still haven't had a cigarette... and I'm still loving the e-cig. I feel so much better. No more smoker's cough, no more shortness of breath when I do something physically taxing (such as running), no more ash tray breath... and we have extra money in our pockets now that we don't spend $10 per day on cigs.

Heres my stats...

I have been free of cigarettes since you told me about the E cigarette... stopped smoking in a day - haven't had one since.  I do appreciate the info Incognito... always will.

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

Incognito

Hall of Famer

#28 : December 15, 2013, 09:57:42 PM

UPDATE:

Heres my stats...

I have been free of cigarettes since you told me about the E cigarette... stopped smoking in a day - haven't had one since.  I do appreciate the info Incognito... always will.

Niiiice. You have no idea how happy that makes me. The purpose of this topic was to try and help at least one person quit smoking. Looks like it was a success. Congrats on beating the addiction man.

VinBucFan

Hall of Famer
#29 : December 15, 2013, 09:59:40 PM

Congrats to any who have quit, keep trying to those who have not

Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 9
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: The best way to quit smoking « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools