Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: The best way to quit smoking « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 9

TURBO

Hall of Famer

#30 : December 16, 2013, 12:03:24 PM

Forgive my ignorance, but in this day and age, I don't understand how anyone can START smoking to begin with...

We have known for decades what it does to your health, yet people still find the desire to pick up their first cig and give it a try.

This isn't the 60's, when you could plead ignorance.

Everyone knows the dangers, yet they start anyway?

I just don't get it.
: December 16, 2013, 12:04:56 PM TURBO

VinBucFan

Hall of Famer
#31 : December 16, 2013, 12:10:27 PM

I suppose kids race cars, drink, engage in unprotected sex etc. because its fun and cool and they feel invincible . .  same thing with cigs, albeit in far less numbers, thankfully. The kids I am around seem to look down on smoking, which is testament to a lot of hard work by a lot of people.

Show the bravest of the brave kids that you have their back.  Go to http://www.childrenscancercenter.org/

Just check out the site or maybe like them on Facebook . .  or Share the site on Facebook, re-tweet one of their tweets.  Not everyone can give money to support this great cause, but its easy to give 10 seconds of your time to help spread the word about The Children\'s Cancer Center

Incognito

Hall of Famer

#32 : December 16, 2013, 12:28:30 PM

Vin is exactly right. I started smoking when I was a dumb a$$ teenager. When you're that young, you don't think about the future... and you think you're invincible. Thats not the only stupid mistake I made when I was a kid.

dexmonkey

Hall of Famer

#33 : December 16, 2013, 12:32:55 PM

Forgive my ignorance, but in this day and age, I don't understand how anyone can START smoking to begin with...

We have known for decades what it does to your health, yet people still find the desire to pick up their first cig and give it a try.

I just don't get it.

because smoking is cool when you're a teenager. you grow up with people telling you not to smoke, not to drink, not to speed, not to get laid. whats the first thing you want to do when you get the chance? all of the above because you were told not to and its fun to break the rules

VinBucFan

Hall of Famer
#34 : December 16, 2013, 02:49:19 PM

Vin is exactly right. I started smoking when I was a dumb a$$ teenager. When you're that young, you don't think about the future... and you think you're invincible. Thats not the only stupid mistake I made when I was a kid.

Incognito, this has to be the best post you've read on this site:

I have been free of cigarettes since you told me about the E cigarette... stopped smoking in a day - haven't had one since.  I do appreciate the info Incognito... always will.

Congrats for helping yourself and D

Show the bravest of the brave kids that you have their back.  Go to http://www.childrenscancercenter.org/

Just check out the site or maybe like them on Facebook . .  or Share the site on Facebook, re-tweet one of their tweets.  Not everyone can give money to support this great cause, but its easy to give 10 seconds of your time to help spread the word about The Children\'s Cancer Center

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer

#35 : December 16, 2013, 04:09:26 PM

I just don't get it.
because most people start when they are stupid teenagers trying to fit in and be cool. 

Ironworker808

Second String

#36 : December 16, 2013, 08:19:08 PM

I was a pack and a half a day smoker. Camel Wides. I quit using an ecig. Started with 'cig-a-likes', moved up to eGo's, then got a VAMO mod. Also went through a lot of different tanks. All that spanned about 16 months.

Then I found my holy grail...Epipes. Love 'em. Just hit my two year vaporversary last week.

These things work and I would (and have) recommend them to anyone who'll listen. I can smell. I can taste food. Most important, I can breath.

gone

Hall of Famer
#37 : December 18, 2013, 01:21:04 PM

I feel I would be remiss not to point out how to actually quit, rather than simply make ingesting an addictive substance less unhealthy.

Chantix.

Simple pill, you take for about two weeks.  Some people may need three IIRC.  You take it and still smoke.  It overloads the receptors in the brain and basically eliminates the pleasurable aspects of smoking.  Takes some time to build up so it slowly make the experience of smoking worse.  What happens is you start getting all the negative physical responses to smoking without the pleasurable masking effects of it.  It feels like you just chain smoked way too much.  I think it's important that its not a fake chemical nausea, but a just the real effects of the cigarette.  By the end of the first week you cigarette is no longer something you look forward to, just something you are doing out of habit and you know it.  A duty to be performed so to speak.  Sometime before the end of the second week you will simply be nauseated by the though of having a cigarette and you will just stop.  Even if you were thinking about finishing "just this last pack" or carton.  You'll toss them out.  Your body's physiological anticipation response will turn to an aversion response.  And you won't go back.  It's been 3 1/2 years for me after 20 smoking newport 100's and just thinking about a cigarette still gets the yuck response, so it lasts.

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer

#38 : December 18, 2013, 07:18:26 PM

Tried Chantix and it made me feel sick.  Had to stop taking it. 

Incognito

Hall of Famer

#39 : December 21, 2013, 02:37:07 PM

I feel I would be remiss not to point out how to actually quit, rather than simply make ingesting an addictive substance less unhealthy.

Chantix.

Its cool of you to contribute to this topic and to add your advice on quitting smoking... but I'd like to comment on your post. You said that e-cigs is just a way of making an addictive substance less unhealthy.

My argument is that yes, nicotine is an addictive substance... but so is caffeine. In moderation, its completely harmless. That goes for nicotine as well as caffeine. With e-cigs, ALL of the harmful chemicals are taken out of the equation.

The reason why I decided to go with e-cigs rather than pills and patches is because I still get to inhale/exhale something that looks and feels like smoke. Thats one of the parts we smokers/ex-smokers enjoy about cigarettes... and to be able to keep that feature is a huge advantage if you really want to quit.

Thanks again.
: December 21, 2013, 02:39:24 PM Incognito

Bucfucious

Hall of Famer

#40 : December 21, 2013, 03:17:14 PM

"With e-cigs, ALL of the harmful chemicals are taken out of the equation."

A huge assumption with no research backing it. Since all existing regulations are written using the term "tobacco," the ecig industry is currently entirely unregulated. They could put pretty much whatever they want in there. You're taking part in a Fen-phen experiment, whether you choose to admit it or not.

VinBucFan

Hall of Famer
#41 : December 21, 2013, 04:05:13 PM

"With e-cigs, ALL of the harmful chemicals are taken out of the equation."

A huge assumption with no research backing it. Since all existing regulations are written using the term "tobacco," the ecig industry is currently entirely unregulated. They could put pretty much whatever they want in there. You're taking part in a Fen-phen experiment, whether you choose to admit it or not.

you a criticizing a guy for quitting smoking?  well done

Uncle Stan

Hall of Famer
#42 : December 23, 2013, 05:43:50 PM

FWIW,

Dbuc got me started in May 2012  After my second order, I reduced my nicotine to 50%. By my order on July 4th, my nicotine count was down to zero also stopped using my ecig away from my office..

By Sept 1 or maybe even earlier, I wasn't using the ecig very much. By November I was barely using it at all. Since early 2013, It is now rare that I even reach for an ecig,

My experience was it was heavily mental. I had wanted to quit for a long time. Had been smoking for over 70+ years but couldn't break the nicotine and "hand activity" habit. Ecig was a major contributor to breaking both of those habits.

My wife also went the ecig route (V2 brand)-did it also in less than 3 months  and my youngest daughter is starting down that road.

It will work, if you want it to work. Know very few people where the "patch" or Chantix helped. Know many who made it with the ecig.

Learn to disagree without being disagreeable-Ronald Reagan circa 1981

VinBucFan

Hall of Famer
#43 : December 23, 2013, 05:53:17 PM

FWIW,

Dbuc got me started in May 2012  After my second order, I reduced my nicotine to 50%. By my order on July 4th, my nicotine count was down to zero also stopped using my ecig away from my office..

By Sept 1 or maybe even earlier, I wasn't using the ecig very much. By November I was barely using it at all. Since early 2013, It is now rare that I even reach for an ecig,

My experience was it was heavily mental. I had wanted to quit for a long time. Had been smoking for over 70+ years but couldn't break the nicotine and "hand activity" habit. Ecig was a major contributor to breaking both of those habits.

My wife also went the ecig route (V2 brand)-did it also in less than 3 months  and my youngest daughter is starting down that road.

It will work, if you want it to work. Know very few people where the "patch" or Chantix helped. Know many who made it with the ecig.

good for you and your family Unc

MrFreakinMiyagi

Hall of Famer

#44 : December 24, 2013, 10:14:56 PM

Since all existing regulations are written using the term "tobacco," the ecig industry is currently entirely unregulated.
And they want to regulate it as if it were a tobacco product.

What does that tell you about the people that want to regulate it?

They are either:
A) Freaking imbeciles, as they want to regulate something that is tobacco free, as tobacco
B) They want to tax it as if it were a tobacco product, and really are worried more about the almighty $ than peoples' health

The e-cig helped me quit, and I feel better than ever thanks to it.

Dolorus Jason on a ban bet with me over the BCS Championship: \"You have your bet. I ain\'t scurred.\"- 12/8 \"Youre being banned from your own stupidity. Enjoy.\"-12/8 \"Prepare for your ban .\" -12/9 \"Miyagi gonna be banned.\"-12/9 \"Best bet I ever made ...\"-12/9 \"Miyagi mad , gettin banned.\"-12/9\"You mIght need a break from the board. Our bet should help you do just that.\"-12/10 11:38 AM
 \"The bet is off now.\"12/10 1:24 PM
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 9
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: The best way to quit smoking « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools