Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Pryor is eligible, but..... « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

Cerious

Hall of Famer

#15 : August 18, 2011, 10:51:26 AM

Draft him. Seriously, JJ is gone at the end of the season. Pryor could be groomed to back Freeman up after JJ is gone. And if he really shows the potential he could be trade bait in a few years.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#16 : August 18, 2011, 10:52:01 AM

Besides, what did Pryor do? He sold a bunch of sh!t that was HIS PROPERTY. The NCAA says he wasn't allowed to do that. He got some free swag and tattoos. Big freaking deal. Didn't Cam Newton and his dad extort tens of thousands of dollars from teams? Where is his suspension? The NFL needs to stay out of college football politics...but now they crossed a line and right in the middle of it.

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#17 : August 18, 2011, 10:54:08 AM

there are rules to entering the supplemental draft...

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

Tebowmania 25

Pro Bowler

#18 : August 18, 2011, 10:54:26 AM

Not a fan of pryor but the fact that they are carrying over a punishment from college is ridiculous and stupid.

How so?

When are entitled players who don't think the rules apply to them going to learn any responsibility for their actions? Pryor broke rules, and thought his problems would just go away by going to the NFL, how does he get to get off scott free but the players at Ohio State have to suffer from his selfish actions by getting possible infractions applied to them?

I understand everyone hates how much power Goodell has and I agree, but players have to learn some type of responsibility for their actions, and know they can't just run away from their problems by jumping to the NFL.

They are 2 different leagues.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#19 : August 18, 2011, 10:54:32 AM

If this is the NFL's new policy towards players, what about college coaches? Pete Carroll?

Bucpride5

Pro Bowler

#20 : August 18, 2011, 11:02:10 AM

I agree with the majority in this thread that Goodell has too much power, and the NFL is going overboard.

Ohio State is going to suffer from Pryor's actions, where is his punishment? He just gets to leave and go get paid to play football after leaving behind a mess at the school and costing a Caoch his job? You say he is punished by not being able to play in NCAA games, he was never suspended by the NCAA the school ruled him ineligible not the NCAA he could've transferred to another school if he wanted. I bet if you ask him if he'd rather play for free in College or make money by jumping to the NFL he'd choose to be paid to play than play for free.

I'm just tired of entitled athletes like Pryor and Reggie Bush skirting responsibility leaving College Programs crippled by their selfish actions, bravo to the NFL for holding Pryor accountable.

Formerly known as T

I\'ll be optimistic until I see a reason not to be

Tommy

Starter

#21 : August 18, 2011, 11:06:33 AM

This is a case of favoritism! The reason the NFL is punishing him is because they don't want everyone who is determined ineligible to play NCAA FB to think they can enter the draft on their own terms. P.S.- I would love to snag him up and if necessary trade JJ for value, although I think someone is going to take a risk on Pryor. He would be a very good backup and we can trade him in a few years to get a premium pick.

Bucpride5

Pro Bowler

#22 : August 18, 2011, 11:11:53 AM

Not a fan of pryor but the fact that they are carrying over a punishment from college is ridiculous and stupid.

How so?

When are entitled players who don't think the rules apply to them going to learn any responsibility for their actions? Pryor broke rules, and thought his problems would just go away by going to the NFL, how does he get to get off scott free but the players at Ohio State have to suffer from his selfish actions by getting possible infractions applied to them?

I understand everyone hates how much power Goodell has and I agree, but players have to learn some type of responsibility for their actions, and know they can't just run away from their problems by jumping to the NFL.

They are 2 different leagues.

The NCAA is the NFL's unofficial farm league, they have to do what they can to protect the NCAA.

Let's use a real world example to go off your last reply, by saying they are two different leagues. If I leave my last job to escape any punishment for doing things my employer looks negatively at is it okay that I hide it from any prospective new employers? Pryor by "running" to the NFL by breaking rules of his previous "Job" is trying to escape any responsibility for his actions. Ohio State will surely receive some sanctions, fines or a ban on Bowl games for his actions. That will hurt their program, how will Pryor be hurt by his actions? He gets to leave college after he promised to stay another year because, remember he and the others who broke the rules promised to come back for another year if they weren't banned from the BCS Bowl Game they played in.

We can argue the silliness of the rules of selling your own property, but Pryor and others willing broke the rules. His teammates are accepting responsibility for their actions and accepting their suspension Pryor ran to the NFL to get paid. This entitled young man needs to have some consequences for his actions.

Formerly known as T

I\'ll be optimistic until I see a reason not to be

1sparkybuc

Hall of Famer
#23 : August 18, 2011, 11:16:51 AM

The whole system is flawed. Football is entertainment that people pay to see. The performers get benefits but the system says they can't be paid outright for what they do, and the benefits are strictly limited. That's just wrong. We say we want to teach our children to survive in this world. It should start in the pee wee leagues. College accounts should be set up for any kid participating in any sporting event that charges admission. If the child can't compete at the college level, he/she still has a fund built up that he/she earned. College football is big business in America, and the system is set up pretty much like slave labor. The vast majority of the players get a half-assed education and never draw a paycheck as a professional. Professional sports in America overpays their players and overcharges the fans. We have no choice but to put up with it. Greed drives it and we pay for it every time we buy anything anywhere. It's a vicious cycle with absolutely no consideration for Americans in a tough economy. We're just screwed. We have rich people controlling their own tax rate and Goodell doing the NCAA's dirty work. It's not going to get any better.

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer

#24 : August 18, 2011, 11:34:14 AM

I agree with the majority in this thread that Goodell has too much power, and the NFL is going overboard.

Ohio State is going to suffer from Pryor's actions, where is his punishment? He just gets to leave and go get paid to play football after leaving behind a mess at the school and costing a Caoch his job? You say he is punished by not being able to play in NCAA games, he was never suspended by the NCAA the school ruled him ineligible not the NCAA he could've transferred to another school if he wanted. I bet if you ask him if he'd rather play for free in College or make money by jumping to the NFL he'd choose to be paid to play than play for free.

I'm just tired of entitled athletes like Pryor and Reggie Bush skirting responsibility leaving College Programs crippled by their selfish actions, bravo to the NFL for holding Pryor accountable.
probably cost him a lot of money and now he can't even look his old teammates in the face since he helped get coach fired.

notabucsfan

Hall of Famer

#25 : August 18, 2011, 12:04:39 PM

Smh... I really wish someone would lay the hammer down on Goodell.

Bucman

Hall of Famer
#26 : August 18, 2011, 12:09:25 PM

I do kinda agree with this. He tried to escape a suspension that he basically agreed he would serve if he was allowed to play in the bowl game. As for selling his own stuff, I don't see anything wrong with it. I'm just wondering if they're is more that really hasn't been let out.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#27 : August 18, 2011, 12:14:27 PM

Only way a rookie should be suspended right off the bat is if they got into some legal trouble or failed a drug test. The NFL and NCAA are two separate entities. You think if Pryor got a job at UPS they would reprimand him for something that happened in college football? It's the same thing. There is no basis for the NFL to hold Pryor accountable for breaking the rules of is last employer. He didn't even do anything that would be considered wrong under NFL rules.

STERN11354

Starter

#28 : August 18, 2011, 12:26:49 PM

I wonder if they'll do this next year for the regular draft like they are doing it for the supplemental draft.

cheveliar

Hall of Famer

#29 : August 18, 2011, 12:36:33 PM

I've been banging the "too much power for RG" drum for the longest.  Now this...I want to hear the rationale from the people who think this guy is still doing a great job on this one. 

Without Carl Nix it feels like our running game just took a death blow to the face!

Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Pryor is eligible, but..... « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools