Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Pryor is eligible, but..... « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

cheveliar

Hall of Famer

« #30 : August 18, 2011, 12:38:15 PM »

I do kinda agree with this. He tried to escape a suspension that he basically agreed he would serve if he was allowed to play in the bowl game. As for selling his own stuff, I don't see anything wrong with it. I'm just wondering if they're is more that really hasn't been let out.

So if you take a pencil from your old job.  And your new job finds out.  Think you should be punished or fired by the new company?

Without Carl Nix it feels like our running game just took a death blow to the face!

MUSCLE_HAMSTER

User is on moderator watch listWatched
Hall of Famer
« #31 : August 18, 2011, 12:50:57 PM »

Like that really matters.

He wouldn't even be close to play in that time period anyways....non issue
He cant practice with his team during the suspension

SunnyD

Hall of Famer

« #32 : August 18, 2011, 12:53:47 PM »

This is terrible. Just terrible

I cannot believe they did this

MUSCLE_HAMSTER

User is on moderator watch listWatched
Hall of Famer
« #33 : August 18, 2011, 12:54:11 PM »

Ohio State is going to suffer from Pryor's actions, where is his punishment? He just gets to leave and go get paid to play football after leaving behind a mess at the school and costing a Caoch his job? You say he is punished by not being able to play in NCAA games, he was never suspended by the NCAA the school ruled him ineligible not the NCAA he could've transferred to another school if he wanted. I bet if you ask him if he'd rather play for free in College or make money by jumping to the NFL he'd choose to be paid to play than play for free.

I'm just tired of entitled athletes like Pryor and Reggie Bush skirting responsibility leaving College Programs crippled by their selfish actions, bravo to the NFL for holding Pryor accountable.
Ya, like the coaches and athletic departments have no idea whats going on..

Bucpride5

Pro Bowler
« #34 : August 18, 2011, 12:54:30 PM »

I do kinda agree with this. He tried to escape a suspension that he basically agreed he would serve if he was allowed to play in the bowl game. As for selling his own stuff, I don't see anything wrong with it. I'm just wondering if they're is more that really hasn't been let out.

So if you take a pencil from your old job.  And your new job finds out.  Think you should be punished or fired by the new company?

Did stealing that pencil from your previous company put that company in a financial bind or negatively impact their company? Pryor left his school, teammates, future players and coaches in quite a mess. He left school without any punishment for his actions.

Yes, the rule for selling your own property is pretty silly. But he knowingly broke the rule, since he did it secretly he knew it was wrong. But my point is he is able to leave the School and not suffer any consequences while his Coaches, teammates and future players for Ohio State will suffer the wrath of the NCAA for major violations.

Formerly known as T

I\'ll be optimistic until I see a reason not to be

Bucpride5

Pro Bowler
« #35 : August 18, 2011, 12:58:01 PM »

Ohio State is going to suffer from Pryor's actions, where is his punishment? He just gets to leave and go get paid to play football after leaving behind a mess at the school and costing a Caoch his job? You say he is punished by not being able to play in NCAA games, he was never suspended by the NCAA the school ruled him ineligible not the NCAA he could've transferred to another school if he wanted. I bet if you ask him if he'd rather play for free in College or make money by jumping to the NFL he'd choose to be paid to play than play for free.

I'm just tired of entitled athletes like Pryor and Reggie Bush skirting responsibility leaving College Programs crippled by their selfish actions, bravo to the NFL for holding Pryor accountable.
Ya, like the coaches and athletic departments have no idea whats going on..

And they should be held accountable also. Pete Carrol should have to sit out from coaching for as long as USC is not able to be in a Bowl game. In our society we encourage "Bailouts" and avoiding responsibility, someone needs to start holding people who break the rules accountable and not let them just run away from their problems.

Formerly known as T

notabucsfan

Hall of Famer

« #36 : August 18, 2011, 01:00:12 PM »

Yes, the rule for selling your own property is pretty silly. But he knowingly broke the rule, since he did it secretly he knew it was wrong.

The property was giving to him as a gift from the school and he did not pay a dime for it. The OSU players were selling team apparel that was giving to them, their BCS rings, and autographs for tattoos. Its not like it was property they paid for then decided to sell it.

GameTime

Hall of Famer
« #37 : August 18, 2011, 01:16:39 PM »

there are rules to entering the supplemental draft...

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

cheveliar

Hall of Famer

« #38 : August 18, 2011, 01:24:07 PM »

Did stealing that pencil from your previous company put that company in a financial bind or negatively impact their company? Pryor left his school, teammates, future players and coaches in quite a mess. He left school without any punishment for his actions.

Yes, the rule for selling your own property is pretty silly. But he knowingly broke the rule, since he did it secretly he knew it was wrong. But my point is he is able to leave the School and not suffer any consequences while his Coaches, teammates and future players for Ohio State will suffer the wrath of the NCAA for major violations.

This is not about whether Pryor is right or wrong.  This is about whether the commissioner has the power to adjudicate such a sentence out of his realm of responsibility.  Is it even fair? I tried to pose that question very simply with the pencil scenario.  This guy is not a NCAA person.  He doesn't work for them and barely works with them.  What precedent is this sending?  Whether you believe Pryor should be punished or not is irrelevant.  Does the commissioner have and deserve that kind of power?  I say no and this is a flat out power trip by him...

Without Carl Nix it feels like our running game just took a death blow to the face!

BTownBucFan

Hall of Famer
« #39 : August 18, 2011, 01:25:16 PM »

They made a huge mistake here.

“Pryor made decisions that undermine the integrity of the eligibility rules for the NFL Draft. Those actions included failing to cooperate with the NCAA and hiring an agent in violation of NCAA rules, which resulted in Ohio State declaring him ineligible to continue playing college football.

I don't know how you say this and THEN let him in.  They should have simply said no and we'll see you next year.

youngone

Hall of Famer
« #40 : August 18, 2011, 01:33:31 PM »

they should be suspending pete carroll for what he did at USC then.. how does he get a pass and pryor doesnt?

Bucpride5

Pro Bowler
« #41 : August 18, 2011, 01:35:35 PM »

This is not about whether Pryor is right or wrong.  This is about whether the commissioner has the power to adjudicate such a sentence out of his realm of responsibility.  Is it even fair? I tried to pose that question very simply with the pencil scenario.  This guy is not a NCAA person.  He doesn't work for them and barely works with them.  What precedent is this sending?  Whether you believe Pryor should be punished or not is irrelevant.  Does the commissioner have and deserve that kind of power?  I say no and this is a flat out power trip by him...

Read my 1st post in this thread, I've repeatedly said I don't like the commissioner having that much authority. My only problem with College Players, and Coaches is if they have any problems they can just go to the NFL leaving the University, their teammates, Coaches and future players in a bind.

Fair is a matter of your perspective, is it fair that Pryor leave the University in a bad position, where they will likely be withheld scholarships, and possibly a Bowl ban?

I will spell it out for everyone, again. I AGREE Goodell has WAY too much authority in player discipline. But Pryor needed to be held accountable in some for his actions.

Formerly known as T

Bucman

Hall of Famer
« #42 : August 18, 2011, 01:46:12 PM »

You guys are using terrible examples. This guy really wasn't even allowed to enter. He wasn't kicked off his team or anything. He signed an agreement saying he would serve his suspension if he was allowed to play in the bowl game. He violated numerous NCAA rules in the process of leaving. I see no reason why 5 games is that big of a deal. It couldve been a see you in April type deal.

cheveliar

Hall of Famer

« #43 : August 18, 2011, 01:50:04 PM »

Read my 1st post in this thread, I've repeatedly said I don't like the commissioner having that much authority. My only problem with College Players, and Coaches is if they have any problems they can just go to the NFL leaving the University, their teammates, Coaches and future players in a bind.

Fair is a matter of your perspective, is it fair that Pryor leave the University in a bad position, where they will likely be withheld scholarships, and possibly a Bowl ban?

I will spell it out for everyone, again. I AGREE Goodell has WAY too much authority in player discipline. But Pryor needed to be held accountable in some for his actions.

We are basically saying the same thing differently.  Not that I care about what happens to Pryor or not.  I'll even agree he needed to be punished, however not by Jolly Roger...

Uncle Stan

Hall of Famer
« #44 : August 18, 2011, 02:35:57 PM »

Jolly Roger, as you call him, did not do it on his own. It was done in concert with the NFLPA. As I understand it, the NFLPA had to agree to it or it wouldn't have happened.

But getting back to your main point, his so called power, that power was given to him by the NFLPA and reaffirmed in the new CBA.

SO just don't blame Goodell or the league, if you are unhappy with it.

Learn to disagree without being disagreeable-Ronald Reagan circa 1981
  Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Pryor is eligible, but..... « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools