Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: so does anybody still think Josh Johnson is a starter? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 6

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer

#15 : August 19, 2011, 02:20:49 AM

I got nothing against him being our #2 QB.  I'm all for it actually.  I'm just sick of seeing post here where people are stating he is better than 50% of the starters in the league (actually it probably was higher-going by memory here), or that we should franchise him like the Pats did with Cassel, or that he is like a young Mike Vick.  These are actual opinions here.

JohnGruden

Starter

#16 : August 19, 2011, 02:23:16 AM

I like Josh Johnson as the our backup but if we can get anything for him (oline depth) or draft pick id be all for it. Rudy would be the backup and maybe we can get Terell Pryor as a developmental prospect lol

CaliforniaBuc40

Second String

#17 : August 19, 2011, 03:36:02 AM

Just to name a few places that could use him 49ers, Dolphins, Raiders, Redskins, and Seahawks. He could definitely compete for a starting spot on any of those teams. I like the guy, not saying he is gonna be the next Vick but he has a lot of potential. His passes are crisp and clean even on the run. He places the ball nicely and is very accurate, especially if he was in a west coast offense. I think he at least deserves a chance and if he doesn't pan out then he could always come back and back up. The guys to young to not have a chance to start for another team.

SunnyD

Hall of Famer

#18 : August 19, 2011, 03:42:09 AM

I think he has shown he will never have the touch to be an ultra successful NFL QB.

Maybe in the right system he would be alright.....but I'm hoping next offseason he finds a very weak market for his services and can be Freeman's career backup.

I like him as a back up QB and gadget player.

Runole

Hall of Famer
#19 : August 19, 2011, 06:44:57 AM

JJ does two things well:
Run
Throw the ball when given egregious amounts of time

He doesn't read the field well, he doesn't throw in rhythm and his ball placement is always iffy if a guy isn't a stationary target. He's a good enough backup and there's a reason he's a backup - like all backups he's not good enough to be a starter.

Agree /disagree

With the way the Patriots were absolutely crushing the offensive line and protection what other choice did he have but to do anything possible to avoid the rush and "make a play"?  The guy was throwing some lasers last night.  Johnson actually was one of the few bright spots in an incredibly dismal performance by the team. Throwing him under the bus is pretty ridiculous.  If anything he showed once again why he seeks to be a starter for some other team and by the 49er's obvious interest he showed once again he may indeed be marketable for a respectable draft pick versus getting his release and the Bucs getting NOTHING!

No he isn't t a franchise QB like Freeman( how many of those are there?) but he certainly showed ability on some of the harshest conditions last night.  I wish the Bucs could keep him but it is obvious he has no interest in being nothing more than a perpetual backup with no future as ever being a starter as long a Freeman is with the Bucs. I am not so sure he isn't a starter for someone else. Hell! look at Gradkowski!!

Runole

Hall of Famer
#20 : August 19, 2011, 07:11:37 AM

Did you even watch the game? Johnson played much better than his stat line indicates.

Amen!  The team totally sucked last night. He probably was the only one that actually realized they were playing a game last night.  Hard to understand the harsh criticism some are throwing at him.  The guy actually made some plays last night.  Someone remind me again what plays Freeman made worth anything last night?
This is not a criticism of Freeman but Geesh! if anyone deserves some praise it is Johnson.

The overall performance of the team was a total stinker.  Johnson running for his life and actually completely passes deserves praise not the harsh criticism some are laying on him.  Guess they weren't watching the same game.

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer

#21 : August 19, 2011, 07:36:55 AM

If anything he showed once again why he seeks to be a starter for some other team and by the 49er's obvious interest he showed once again he may indeed be marketable for a respectable draft pick versus getting his release and the Bucs getting NOTHING!

that's another fallacy or at least I haven't seen any proof of it.  the 49er have not shown any public interest in him and drafted another QB early in the 2nd round.  all i've seen are quotes of JJ saying he'd love to play for them and Harbaugh but is basically stuck in Tampa.  the fact that he doesn't want to be here is the primary reason why I enjoy knocking him down a peg or two.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#22 : August 19, 2011, 07:50:18 AM

After watching the game on TV I can honestly say Josh Johnson was probably the best player we had last night. Skull and Bones obviously just looked at stats and made this thread.

First play he runs for 20 yards and it's called back for holding. 2nd play he throws a vice 15 yard pass that hit (i think) Stroughter in the chest but was dropped. 3rd play he throws a beautiful 20 yard touch pass over Briiscoes should that bounces right out of Briscoe's hands. So right there in his first series he looked great against New Englands first string but because of two drops and a hold they punt and his stats look bad.

In the second half he continued to look good. He had a passes that were slightly off target, but for the most part he was throwing lasers. There continued to be a lot of drops. On the interception, if you actually watch it, JJ threads the needle with a laser. It is actually a very impressive throw. Stroughter (or Spurlock?) bobbles it and the defender takes it from him once they are on the ground. I don't even think it was an interception but Rah didn't challenge and in any case it wasn't JJ's fault at all.

JJ was very impressive. This thread is stupid.

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer

#23 : August 19, 2011, 08:29:21 AM

After watching the game on TV I can honestly say Josh Johnson was probably the best player we had last night. Skull and Bones obviously just looked at stats and made this thread.

First play he runs for 20 yards and it's called back for holding. 2nd play he throws a vice 15 yard pass that hit (i think) Stroughter in the chest but was dropped. 3rd play he throws a beautiful 20 yard touch pass over Briiscoes should that bounces right out of Briscoe's hands. So right there in his first series he looked great against New Englands first string but because of two drops and a hold they punt and his stats look bad.

In the second half he continued to look good. He had a passes that were slightly off target, but for the most part he was throwing lasers. There continued to be a lot of drops. On the interception, if you actually watch it, JJ threads the needle with a laser. It is actually a very impressive throw. Stroughter (or Spurlock?) bobbles it and the defender takes it from him once they are on the ground. I don't even think it was an interception but Rah didn't challenge and in any case it wasn't JJ's fault at all.

JJ was very impressive. This thread is stupid.

First play he runs for 20 yards and it's called back for holding.
-and your point is?
2nd play he throws a vice 15 yard pass that hit (i think) Stroughter in the chest but was dropped.
-it was well covered and Spurlock (not Stroughter)would've probably been out of bounds anyways.
3rd play he throws a beautiful 20 yard touch pass over Briiscoes should that bounces right out of Briscoe's hands.
-its hard to tell and I watched it 3 times now but I think Butler knocked the ball away and Briscoe didn't drop it.

He makes a nice throw while moving to Sammie and then throws a horrible pass that should have been picked off.
Next pass attempt was a DPI call but it was a crappy throw.
Then he makes a run that is called back again for holding.  We all know he can run anyways.
Then he throws another incompletion to Sammie in tight coverage.
Then he throws like a 5 yard pass to Spurlock with no YAC to speak of.
Then he throws a duck down the middle of the field.
: August 19, 2011, 08:37:55 AM Skull and Bones

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer

#24 : August 19, 2011, 08:39:27 AM

still think I didn't watch the game?  I think Java is right.  Your do-rag is a little too tight.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#25 : August 19, 2011, 08:44:50 AM

You hadn't watched the game when you made this dumb ass thread. Either that or you are legally blind.

Go ahead and side yourself with Java. It's easier to keep the idiots straight when they flock together.

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#26 : August 19, 2011, 08:51:14 AM

JJ's first couple drives werent bad.  some real impressive plays, a couple of headscratchers. 

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#27 : August 19, 2011, 08:57:06 AM

The biggest weakness of JJ is that once he starts taking off he doesn't look to throw down field.  Most QB's that have scrambling ability in the NFL at least are looking for down field opportunities as well (eg Vick, Roethlisberger ,Rodgers, etc ).

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#28 : August 19, 2011, 09:00:20 AM

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/09000d5d82191051/Most-amazing-INT-you-ll-ever-see?module=HP11_cp

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#29 : August 19, 2011, 09:13:21 AM

The biggest weakness of JJ is that once he starts taking off he doesn't look to throw down field.  Most QB's that have scrambling ability in the NFL at least are looking for down field opportunities as well (eg Vick, Roethlisberger ,Rodgers, etc ).

he's such a good scrambler that its probably a better decision.  vick is the only other QB in the league with speed and vick didnt start looking down the field until he turned 30.

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"
Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 6
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: so does anybody still think Josh Johnson is a starter? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools