Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Some possible disturbing thoughts « previous next »
Page: 1 2

Uncle Stan

Hall of Famer
: August 19, 2011, 05:49:26 PM

No matter who the coaches are  in the last 15+ years, the Bucs MO on offense hasn't really changed.

There have been very few games that the Bucs come out of a tunnel and are ready for smash mouth football.

The 1st quarter is sluggish, not many points scored to take control of the game. The present Bucs remind me of the "Cardiac Kids" from the old days. Do just enough, most times, not to get blown out, then somehow come alive in the 2nd half, especially in the 4th quarter.

Why is that?  Why isn't the team on fire in the 1st quarter? Freeman is a good example of this trend.

I don't have answers, just questions.

Media and posters constantly point out how many games Freeman has won in the 4th quarter

That not a statistic I want to be proud of, when we should have done it sooner in the game and not constantly have viewers on the edge of their seats time after time

Learn to disagree without being disagreeable-Ronald Reagan circa 1981

anterrabae33

Hall of Famer

#1 : August 19, 2011, 06:11:48 PM

Was thinking the same thing. Against a team like the Pats, who fire on all cylinders out of the gate, we have no chance. We need to find a way to step it up on offense and defense and get things started from kickoff. We can't make the playoffs by banking on a 4th quarter comeback every game.

cyberdude558

Hall of Famer

#2 : August 19, 2011, 06:22:54 PM

I agree the slow starts was a problem last year and there isnt much sign to suggest it's gotten any better.

It's pointing to a coaching problem in preparation or motivation or something.

AKA T.Calvin

Starter

#3 : August 19, 2011, 06:27:27 PM

i think its the play calling we've always been super conservative early in the game on offense and we're always playing soft zones early in games  instead of being the aggressor  and being first to attack.

Hate

Hall of Famer
#4 : August 19, 2011, 06:31:36 PM

i think its the play calling we've always been super conservative early in the game on offense and we're always playing soft zones early in games  instead of being the aggressor  and being first to attack.

^^ that ^^

-------------------------------------------------------

I thought Lovie said he wanted quickness & speed, even at the QB position?

Tracktion

Second String

#5 : August 19, 2011, 06:37:21 PM

Dont remember where I read this first but as a coach it has always stuck with me...

"In Football, RESPECT is never given freely by your opponent. It must be TAKEN from them...VIOLENTLY"

That to me means from whistle to whistle not whenever you decide it's needed.

threadkiller

Hall of Famer

#6 : August 19, 2011, 06:49:53 PM

Agree.  The conservative offensive philosophy becomes worse when you're dominated up and down the line.  It's hard to say we're too conservative though when we're leaving guys unaccounted for.  There were several times when we had 6 blockers early in the game, the Pats brought 5 guys and we had one free.  One free rusher and one lineman immediately beaten is tough to overcome.  No one moving their defender makes rushing difficult also. 

Defensively, it's somewhat concerning that we played soft and conservative and still rarely took away Brady's first look.  He's great about recognizing where he's going before the snap, so you have to give some credit to him, but we didn't take much of anything away (that I could see).  Coverage outside on the receivers looked ok, but on t.v. you can't really tell.  I'm not sure if the cbs were locked up, or if we were just giving up such obvious open targets elsewhere that Brady didn't need to look their way. 

One other thing though, the officiating was horrible and really took any chance away from the Bucs to compete early.  Make no mistake, we were going to get beaten by their firsts, but two b.s. personal fouls and a very questionable holding call took at least 2 series away from us.  Made a 14-17 point early deficit (still bad) into a 28 point one imo. 

SunnyD

Hall of Famer

#7 : August 19, 2011, 07:16:42 PM

Gruden and Morris have been horribly guilty of slow starts

AKA T.Calvin

Starter

#8 : August 19, 2011, 07:22:49 PM

Gruden and Morris have been horribly guilty of slow starts
hell dungy too

anterrabae33

Hall of Famer

#9 : August 19, 2011, 07:32:00 PM

The slow starts and the teams inability to show up during home games are the top two things that need to change.

BerubesBucs

Hall of Famer

#10 : August 19, 2011, 07:40:13 PM

Been saying this for ages. I'm so sick of the lackadaisical attitude early in games. Never any urgency to get out there and draw the first blood. It's incredibly frustrating and you're right, against good teams, it just doesn't fly. The Ravens game from last year comes to mind. We held them in check most of the game and kept it fairly close, and we got that Winslow TD late, but that's just the problem... it was LATE. We are never going to be able to take it to the next level if we don't stop with this soft ass playcalling early in games. Make a f'n move for crying out loud and score a TD on the first drive and stop being so content to just go 3 and out.

When I got home last night from my dr. appointment and found the feed of the game online midway through the 2nd quarter, and saw that we had 7 total yards of offense, my first thought was "HERE WE GO AGAIN".

Incredibly annoying.
: August 19, 2011, 07:41:58 PM BerubesBucs

bashear

Hall of Famer

#11 : August 19, 2011, 11:02:41 PM

This is my feeling as well. It might not have been a bad strat last year with a 2nd-year QB.

yuccaneers

Hall of Famer
#12 : August 19, 2011, 11:40:58 PM

It's more then just play calling! It's a mentality. A mind set or tone that's set starting at the top of the organization. When you look at the Bucs coaching history for the most part all the coaches have been conservative in nature to a fault. This has carried over to the players and has been embedded and ingrain into the the players minds. It's the lack of that killer instinct that causes doubt and indecisiveness. Which has been turned into a crutch or in the case of the Bucs a philosophy of a good defense is a teams best offense. 

The culture needs to change. There's more then just being big and physical that goes into it. The coaching staff needs to figure out a way to set the tone from opening whistle to the last whistle of the game. It starts by becoming more aggressive in nature. Rather then playing on their heels, the Bucs needs to find a way to attack, force the tempo and dictate the game.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer

#13 : August 19, 2011, 11:58:31 PM

Bucs won a Superbowl.

I am good with that.

The K-Gun never won that!  (In other words, be grateful that you got to win one!  My pops was a lifelong Bills fan, and he never got to see them win jack crap!)  I will always be grateful to Gruden and company for the Win!  It is all I have to brag on! (In regards to the NFL)
: August 20, 2011, 12:00:11 AM Boid Fink

JavaRay

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer

#14 : August 20, 2011, 12:05:09 AM

I will always be grateful to Gruden and company for the Win!  It is all I have to brag on! (In regards to the NFL)

We're all in that same boat.

Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Some possible disturbing thoughts « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools